This is the solution to losing these players, 17ers.

DirtyLopez

Feb 26, 2008
For everyone trying to figure this crap out. Here is what has to happen. Enrollment has to get as high as possible and then get it up some more (doc was on the right track). Of course olemiss will have something to say about this in one way or another. This will lead to more alumni, which will lead to more people in the stands which will lead to a larger stadium and more money. A larger stadium would cure alot of the "small penis syndrome" that Miss. football players suffer from. More fans and alumni and more money means that all of the charity coaching spots on staff will be no more. If they can't offer something they get replaced and quick. Only at MSU does the OC get a raise b/c the DC got one. I would bet my bottom dollar that les miles convinced garrett that he will get better coaching at lsu than at msu and thus have a better shot at making the nfl. I'll bet every coach that recruits against msu uses that tactic and have for years. As for Garrett, he will probably sign with two other qbs all rated higher than he (though that doesn't gaurantee doom for him). Three things can happen. He will be blake barnes all over again or he will start for three years and head to the nfl or he will start and be average, which will not be good enough for the crazy coon asses and his life will be so unbearable that he will wish that he wasn't even playing football.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I think those are some good points, but we can't just manufacture tradition like Bama, UT, LSU, or even Ole Miss over night. We do have tradition- but it's not one that you would want.

I think we have a pretty good fanbase, but the AD needs to do a better job of promoting our product. Look at how many people came to the LB that don't normally go to Starkville on the weekends. If anything else, I think Byrne will improve us in marketing. We do have a pretty decent product as far as gameday experience, but certainly there are things that need to be improved. I do think that the stadium needs a facelift, especially the West side, obviously our speaker system is by far the worst in the league, and we need a new HD JumboTron for starters.

As far as the team, I think Croom's plan is actually pretty good for MSU. He knows we're not going to get a ton of blue chip guys, so he basically is going out and recruiting high character guys, which typically means guys that listen to the coaches and work hard, and then develops them into good players 3-5 years down the line. Most of our recruits have frames where they can put on muscle with proper weight training. Then go out and get a couple of blue chips and go with it. What you end up with is a blue collar team that hopefully works hard and uses their effort, hustle, and discipline to try to even out the difference in talent. Now, you won't win a NC doing that, but you can win 6-8 games a year typically and hopefully will give yourself a chance to win. Hopefully enough 6-8 win seasons you will have more and more blue chips that want to play for you, and before you know it, you have a solid program that may be on the National scene in 20 years or so. (Yes, that's a long time)

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
we had 2 and a half decades of mediocrity- 50's mid 70's. Had some success in the mid 70's, but got racked with probation. Has some success in the early 80's, but had a coach with no long range vision, and then coach in the mid 80's who wasn't quite ready. Then a retread who gave us some success mixed with some really bad seasons culminating in a disorgamized cluster<17>. 30 years is pretty good compared to the previous 50.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login