This might be the death nail for the NCAA

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
4 billion dollars owed. Bye bye.
This is just a district court ruling, so I’d imagine we are still several appeals to higher courts away from this being finalized, but yes, the writing has been on the wall for some time. Eventually it will be SCOTUS that kills them.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Whatever comes after the NCAA - I’m nervous MSU is on the outside looking in

Nah, I’ve been assured by numerous folks on here that NIL payments are what the athletes deserved, that it would be a net positive for MSU, yadda yadda yadda.

It all depends on where the cut-off is. Once the schools themselves start losing the TV money and have to start sharing that with athletes, that’s when you’re going to really see the heat turned up on the have-not programs. There will be a “justify your existence” push from all the leagues towards their lower tier schools. Unequal revenue sharing, teams getting the boot entirely, it’s all going to be on the table.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Nah, I’ve been assured by numerous folks on here that NIL payments are what the athletes deserved, that it would be a net positive for MSU, yadda yadda yadda.

It all depends on where the cut-off is. Once the schools themselves start losing the TV money and have to start sharing that with athletes, that’s when you’re going to really see the heat turned up on the have-not programs. There will be a “justify your existence” push from all the leagues towards their lower tier schools. Unequal revenue sharing, teams getting the boot entirely, it’s all going to be on the table.
Most of what I've seen was that players deserved compensation, lots of people other than players were making bank off of the players, we all deserve to be paid, but that it likely didn't benefit State.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nope. The NCAA will die. But the conferences and the football playoff will be just fine. Other sports postseason tournaments may look a little different, but basically not much change.
From what I read they are going after that money as well. It will end college athletics.

• Haha
Reactions: BigDawg0074

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Nope. The NCAA will die. But the conferences and the football playoff will be just fine. Other sports postseason tournaments may look a little different, but basically not much change.
But a major restructuring like that would give the perfect opportunity for the bigger programs to break away. Why would they take us along for the ride?

patdog

May 28, 2007
But a major restructuring like that would give the perfect opportunity for the bigger programs to break away. Why would they take us along for the ride?
If they wanted to do that today, or last year, or 5 years ago, there’s nothing that would have stopped them. The conferences are structured the way they are because that’s what the biggest schools want. That won’t change if the NCAA goes away. Really, no one would even notice fit football because the NCAA is completely irrelevant for football already and has been for over a decade.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020

And that will be the end of college footballs popularity. Fans of the other 90 FCS schools are not going to really care about the 32 playing for the NC if their school has no shot.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I don't know about the end of college football, but if the Croom years of ineptitude return then State's in trouble.

Last edited:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
And that will be the end of college footballs popularity. Fans of the other 90 FCS schools are not going to really care about the 32 playing for the NC if their school has no shot.
Spot on! I'm not going to become an Alabama or Ole Miss or whatever fan if State isn't playing at the top tier. I'll just quit watching altogether.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Spot on! I'm not going to become an Alabama or Ole Miss or whatever fan if State isn't playing at the top tier. I'll just quit watching altogether.
We wasted $120 Million on a baseball field and Basketball arena that would have kept us in the Top Tier. #CohenTheGiftThatKeepsOnGiving

patdog

May 28, 2007
F that. I’m watching State no matter what conference we’re in. it’ll be the SEC for a long time though.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We wasted $120 Million on a baseball field and Basketball arena that would have kept us in the Top Tier. #CohenTheGiftThatKeepsOnGiving
We're like the SEC program with the lowest self-esteem: But look at this awesome baseball stadium we just built. It's bigger and better than yours.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Does this mean we get our wins back that we forfeited? I don't see long term viability for college football or basketball with unrestricted NIL. 5 or 6 teams will continue to dominate just like before except the public will know why. When it was under the table the fans thought it was because players wanted to come to their storied program and got mad at anyone that told them the truth. The no longer can call them conspiracy theorists.
Isn't it funny when conspiracy theories are actual reality?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Just watch the games in our league and don't watch the Super $ 32 team league. ESPN has been wanting this for a long time. I would rather not be in the 32 team league. Somebody has to be at the bottom every year and I'd rather play on a more level playing field.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Just watch the games in our league and don't watch the Super $ 32 team league. ESPN has been wanting this for a long time. I would rather not be in the 32 team league. Somebody has to be at the bottom every year and I'd rather play on a more level playing field.
It won't happen, but I'd like a relegation format. Consistently compete in the lower league while we're there with a chance to compete at the top every once in a while. Don't think the scheduling/TV money would work, though

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login