This weekend changed my optimistic predictions...

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
I'm still hoping for the best but getting 13 SEC wins and then getting hot in the SECT is about our only chance this year. Still appreciate this team. I think we can be good next year.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Terrible SEC umpires. Screwed us in the last 2 games. Just ask Logan Tanner. The next to the last HR was a screw job by the umpire. Batter struck out on previous pitch.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’ll root for the best as long as we are still playing but the overwhelming likelihood is our season ends in Hoover this year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Yep mine too dammit. Kept hope alive until today. We'll be back but we're going to have to find some more arms to bring to the ballpark before next year.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Siiggghhhhhhhh........

Rough year.

2021 National Champs.

1 of those every season.

Moving on ...

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I still think it’s possible to get hot again Florida or A&M but I kinda agree with you in regards to this weekend removing all optimism.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I still think it’s possible to get hot again Florida or A&M but I kinda agree with you in regards to this weekend removing all optimism.

Or maybe we get red hot in Hoover and steal a bid that way, who knows. Hard to count on it but if we’ve gotta play the rest of the season anyway we might as well try and see if we can’t go on a crazy run.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Or maybe we get red hot in Hoover and steal a bid that way, who knows. Hard to count on it but if we’ve gotta play the rest of the season anyway we might as well try and see if we can’t go on a crazy run.

Unless we sweep everyone the rest of the way out that is the only way we can make it to Omaha.

It's just one of those years here I remember having one I believe it was 96 and then we turned around and went had a great season the next year. We just have to calm down and realize that we had a bad hand dealt to us this year that was really nobody's fault. You will have a group who will scream to the top of their lungs that it was all the fault of our coaches but the simple matter of the fact is we really did not ever come together as a team the entire year or have quality pitching from our starters or bullpen and a lot of that was attrition and injuries. If you look at it that way you can really appreciate the guys that helped us win that title last year.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Unless we sweep everyone the rest of the way out that is the only way we can make it to Omaha.

It's just one of those years here I remember having one I believe it was 96 and then we turned around and went had a great season the next year. We just have to calm down and realize that we had a bad hand dealt to us this year that was really nobody's fault. You will have a group who will scream to the top of their lungs that it was all the fault of our coaches but the simple matter of the fact is we really did not ever come together as a team the entire year or have quality pitching from our starters or bullpen and a lot of that was attrition and injuries. If you look at it that way you can really appreciate the guys that helped us win that title last year.

Don’t think you’d necessarily need to sweep everyone the rest of the way, but you’d probably need a 5-4 or 6-3 finish at the very least, and even that seems incredibly unlikely.

Your second paragraph is spot on, and this is hardly the first time in our history that we’ve followed up a high water mark with a downturn. Heck we played for a championship in 2013 and two years later went 8-22 in SEC play. We recovered from that, we’ll recover from this. There is too much talent, good coaching, and overall investment in our program for us to be down for long. And this season in no way takes away from what we accomplished last year.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
We did it in 1980 and had a great 1981. **** happens. This lineup is the most powerful lineup from top to bottom I can ever remember at MSU. You have 6 guys that could have hit 20. Most, or half, of them come back next year and there are some big boys that didn't get an opportunity. I would look for some "pitchers" to add next season. Guys that don't break 90 but have movement like a Hardwick or Intorcia. Someone with one really unique pitch. Work on a forkball or knuckle curve. Someone that can throw an inning or two in all 3 games during a weekend.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think it would require other teams going cold against us. We simply do not have the pitching this year. Our team ERA is sky high. We have no one who can close a game. We walk batters, we give up homeruns, teams hit us hard - lots of doubles, lots of HRs. The Tenn series could be really ugly. But we get a lot of strikeouts so there's that.

The craziest stat to me --- look at our 4 saves (in 45 games played...) Three of them were in games we won by a large margin. We recorded a save because someone pitched 2 - 3 innings with a huge lead. The only traditional, close game save was against the mighty Princeton Tigers.

At this point in the season, I don't see how we magically flip a switch and pitch better. We've just got to hope teams have off days against us.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login