Thoughts about football coaches

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I wax philosophical when I'm out bush hogging my property so our coaching search crossed my mind. I thought about the similarity of buying/selling a boat. Before you buy the shopping process yields a lot of excitement. You review all the choices and finally settle on one. You are sure you've made the best choice and start using your boat. After a while you realize your boat isn't as nice as the other boats you are seeing on the water. You end up having to fix a couple of things and your opinion of your boat goes down. Finally you get fed up with it and decide to sell it. When it finally sell you are excited but realize you can't go out on the water. So you start looking for another boat . . .

Reactions: blitz2Win

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I wax philosophical when I'm out bush hogging my property so our coaching search crossed my mind. I thought about the similarity of buying/selling a boat. Before you buy the shopping process yields a lot of excitement. You review all the choices and finally settle on one. You are sure you've made the best choice and start using your boat. After a while you realize your boat isn't as nice as the other boats you are seeing on the water. You end up having to fix a couple of things and your opinion of your boat goes down. Finally you get fed up with it and decide to sell it. When it finally sell you are excited but realize you can't go out on the water. So you start looking for another boat . . .
This board is a lot like the monkey exhibit at the zoo…and, more than anything else, a coaching search is that thing that gets the monkeys in a tizzy.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
This board is a lot like the monkey exhibit at the zoo…and, more than anything else, a coaching search is that thing that gets the monkeys in a tizzy.
monkey finger GIF

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Two best days of boat ownership - day you buy it and the day you sell it. That does sound a lot like the fan view of the head coach.

When I was looking for my first boat, a friend told me if I wanted to know what owning a boat was like, I should just go to the bank and get a couple grand in 1 dollar bills, put em in a sack, and ride down the road tossing them out into the wind. Might need to send that to A&M.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Two best days of boat ownership - day you buy it and the day you sell it. That does sound a lot like the fan view of the head coach.

When I was looking for my first boat, a friend told me if I wanted to know what owning a boat was like, I should just go to the bank and get a couple grand in 1 dollar bills, put em in a sack, and ride down the road tossing them out into the wind. Might need to send that to A&M.
I know this ^^^^ is popular to say, but my boats have been my happy place over many years. I had an early children boat and then an after children boat. Now I think boats are only good for fishing and any other reason is just a waste of gas. You can do some family stuff with it like pull a tube or a skier, but do that out of a fishing boat and not some sort of hybrid.

I bought the first one in 1988 and used it until my kids hit the age where we had things to do every weekend for the kids. I then took a 10 year break from fishing and bought the second one in 2010 when they were out of the house. I bought a very reasonable 18 foot aluminum with a 50 hp Mercury. It still runs great. Not very expensive to take out. More expensive to drive to and from a lake. Allows me to fish multiple species. Even taken it to Florida to fish inshore fish. Only have had 2 issues of a trip being cut short due to mechanical issues.

So if your not using it 2+ times a month, then you might think like CC. If you use it 3 or more times a month and you haven't taken out some ridiculous loan that you are paying every month for 10+ years, they can be great.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I know this ^^^^ is popular to say, but my boats have been my happy place over many years. I had an early children boat and then an after children boat. Now I think boats are only good for fishing and any other reason is just a waste of gas. You can do some family stuff with it like pull a tube or a skier, but do that out of a fishing boat and not some sort of hybrid.

I bought the first one in 1988 and used it until my kids hit the age where we had things to do every weekend for the kids. I then took a 10 year break from fishing and bought the second one in 2010 when they were out of the house. I bought a very reasonable 18 foot aluminum with a 50 hp Mercury. It still runs great. Not very expensive to take out. More expensive to drive to and from a lake. Allows me to fish multiple species. Even taken it to Florida to fish inshore fish. Only have had 2 issues of a trip being cut short due to mechanical issues.

So if your not using it 2+ times a month, then you might think like CC. If you use it 3 or more times a month and you haven't taken out some ridiculous loan that you are paying every month for 10+ years, they can be great.
I owned a ski boat in my 20s. Some of the greatest memories of my life involve that boat and the dock on the Ross Barnett reservoir. I took that boat out every excuse I got. Then I got married.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We had a pontoon while the kids were growing up, had a ball on that thing. We pulled inner tubes and all kinds of toys. Had a few swivel fishing chairs (4) when that bug bit me. Had a gas grill and potty on it too. Never regretted buying it

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Very popular to say, but I'd say mine is the best investment I have ever made. It is an investment in memories not dollars. I'm a firm believer in investing in memories. When I'm dead and gone, no matter how much or little I leave my kids, the memories will mean more.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Very popular to say, but I'd say mine is the best investment I have ever made. It is an investment in memories not dollars. I'm a firm believer in investing in memories. When I'm dead and gone, no matter how much or little I leave my kids, the memories will mean more.
Sad Cry GIF by Back Row Radio

That's beautiful man....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login