Thoughts for 2022

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
Will try and keep this thread pretty positive, so here are the things I think we’ll need to work on this off season to get a lot better next year.

1) offensive line - if we can get solid coverage, Will should be able to pick apart a lot of defenses

2) Deep threat - we have to figure out some deep threat plays to really stretch the field and open up run game. With some deep balls consistently, we will be mighty dangerous.

3) special teams - won’t name names, but everybody knows we need to score points. Would prefer 7s, but gotta have 3s when we need them.

4) fast starts and consistency - would love to see us flip the historical Miss. State script and start playing with leads after Q1 rather than having to make miraculous comebacks.

5) beat the 17 out of ole miss - new coach or not, this is a requirement. They should be down next year. Anything less than 20 is unacceptable.

Fire away with your lists!!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My view on the program now vs the beginning of the season is 100% different. I was not sold on Leach and that we could run that offense well enough to win. I feel completely different now. I’m pretty pumped about the future and next year in particular. I’d love to see us go find another impact receiver like Polk and get a little better run blocking.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
In regards to ole miss, they could always hit it big in the portal, but they are losing a ton next year. Corral, Sam Williams, Campbell, Mark Robinson, Sanders. At least two linemen. Several DBs and D tackles. And someone like Drummond or Ealy might test the draft, especially with a new QB starting. Definitely a year we need to take advantage of.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
OL will be everything. Replacing Cross and Sharp will be tough. I would assume someone, a year older, will be able to be better than Lashley. We have 2 4th-year JUCO players on the roster, and likely adding the top JUCO OL in the country (with offers from everyone). We also have some younger guys ready to make a leap in their third year (Jackson, Buys). We also have Dolla Bill returning. Hopefully we can make that work.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Happy and optimistic. As a Mississippi State fan I think the majority of us are happy with 7-9 wins with a push every 3-4 years for 9/10 wins. I don’t think we win 9-10 next year but that 2023 season could be special with Rogers, Polk, Tulu, RaRa, Knox, Harvey, both RB’s still here plus all the sophomores on defense we currently have here then too. I’m expecting similar results next year like this year but we win one or two of these close games we lost this year with the maturity improving. 8-4 next year will have me excited and push for a legit shot at the West in 2023 with a 9-10 win season.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Our non conference in 2023 is Southern Miss, Southeast La, Tulane, and Arizona. Our east teams are Kentucky and South Carolina. Ole Miss at home and LSU, Kentucky at home.

Feb 23, 2008
I’d add major help at safety. Coverage is shaky at best and they miss way too many tackles in open space. When you play a defense with at least 3 safeties on every play, you’ve got to have players. Plus depth.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Happy and optimistic. As a Mississippi State fan I think the majority of us are happy with 7-9 wins with a push every 3-4 years for 9/10 wins. I don’t think we win 9-10 next year but that 2023 season could be special with Rogers, Polk, Tulu, RaRa, Knox, Harvey, both RB’s still here plus all the sophomores on defense we currently have here then too. I’m expecting similar results next year like this year but we win one or two of these close games we lost this year with the maturity improving. 8-4 next year will have me excited and push for a legit shot at the West in 2023 with a 9-10 win season.
2022 schedule is usually the one where we make the run towards 9 or 10 wins. Alabama and LSU on the road are usually losses for us. Sucks we pull Georgia though, but who knows how much they lose. We should be able to beat Kentucky and Ole Miss on the road.

But I agree that 2023 is the type year where we can make a REAL run, rather than a lucky/situational run. We just need to have the talent.

Imadick

Jan 18, 2009
Will tried to hit long down field passes severe times got incompletions. Then on second down tried passes 7 -10 yds that were not caught. We seemed to be out of sync all evening. Receivers seemed to have no idea what the play might be. Some were run blocking down field instead of looking to catch a pass. That was hard to watch knowing that they have been playing better

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Will tried to hit long down field passes severe times got incompletions. Then on second down tried passes 7 -10 yds that were not caught. We seemed to be out of sync all evening. Receivers seemed to have no idea what the play might be. Some were run blocking down field instead of looking to catch a pass. That was hard to watch knowing that they have been playing better
Rogers missed a few wide open guys too. But that's not me hating on him, I think he did fine and has certainly improved, and will likely improve more. And I honestly think Ole Miss was getting to us pretty well. The telltale sign is when Lashley goes to jumping offsides repeatedly.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Hopefully we can win seven games and the family fans can tell the competitive fans to go join another fanbase b/c we are FAMILY. HAILSTATE!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I am pleased we competed in every game but bama. I’m pleased we beat some good teams this year. I’m disappointed we couldn’t play full games but I hope that will get better. I’m displeased we decided to play like crap in the egg bowl and let the bama name get to us this year and not show up. But its year two. I wasn’t high on leach and air but I figured if anyone could make us a passing team it would be him. I’ve been very impressed with the improvement of the passing game this year. Im hoping they figure out how to “click” earlier in games and get more rhythm rather waiting until we are trailing by multiple tds in the fourth quarter.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We played all year without a quality RT and it killed us. Now we have to find a RT, LT and Center. Huge red flag for next year.

KeyserSoze1999

Aug 26, 2015
We should be about in the same situation next year based on our schedule....I know its a WAY TOO early look ahead, but Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, and probably Auburn are losses next year. That would have us sitting at 7-4 going into the Egg Bowl next year just like this year.

View attachment 23118

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We should be about in the same situation next year based on our schedule....I know its a WAY TOO early look ahead, but Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, and probably Auburn are losses next year. That would have us sitting at 7-4 going into the Egg Bowl next year just like this year.

View attachment 23118
No way I will concede those home games. We likely go 1-3 and maybe 2-2, but not 0-4.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016

View attachment 23118

I don’t know why you count Auburn as a loss. Have you seen how they look without Bo Nix? And I’m not sure who will be their qb or whether Harsin will even be there

Sep 9, 2012

View attachment 23118

No way in hell are Auburn and A&M sure losses. We have a solid shot against both. I’m not ready to concede UGA at home either, although that will be really tough.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
In regards to ole miss, they could always hit it big in the portal, but they are losing a ton next year. Corral, Sam Williams, Campbell, Mark Robinson, Sanders. At least two linemen. Several DBs and D tackles. And someone like Drummond or Ealy might test the draft, especially with a new QB starting. Definitely a year we need to take advantage of.

We lose a lot for sure. The staff is clearly going to go hard after the transfer portal, which I understand, but it’s a risky proposition. But, we are likely a 6-7 win team without the portal this year. I don’t follow other teams as closely as Ole Miss, obviously, so I can’t say anything for sure, but you’d be hard pressed to find a team who had more meaningful contributors that were transfers, than Ole Miss. It may prove to be a poor decision, but Kiffin said on day 1 that talent acquisition is different now than it used to be.

I fully expect MSU to be the better team next year. You bring back everybody. If you can hit on a couple key positions in the portal, you can be a 9+ win team. Losing Charles Cross is a big loss, though. Having a guy that can eliminate a pass rusher 1 vs 1, and allow your other 4 OL can block 2 against the rush 3 drop 8, is a huge, huge weapon. I’m no OL savant, but some players just jump off the screen, and Cross is one of them. He’s special.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree about Auburn and A&M. I think it's pretty safe to mark UGA as a loss though.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
OM was actually 2 plays away from an 0-3...

start in the SEC this year. Kudos that your D stopped Arkansas on a 2 point conversion and Tenn receiver didn't catch a TD in the last minute. Matt Corral had a special year otherwise. Congrats. Outside of some huge contracts for new players, I don't see OM being that good next year. 7 wins is a maximum.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login