Thoughts from Tempe last night

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
Stadium was actually really cool and the heat wasn’t really even that bad. I’ve felt hotter springs in Mississippi.

Our DL is pathetically bad. No toughness, no quickness, unprepared. Just got outclassed in the trenches and never really saw them play with any intensity or sense of urgency.

They pumped in crowd noise from the speakers all night long and routinely kept playing music at snap.

Stone Blanton is a G5 player and we could have picked a player with our eyes closed out of the portal that was a better player than him. Dude got embarrassed on 10+ plays.

Shapen is a better QB than Will. He made some really good decisions. Also, am I crazy of should that play have been reviewed? It appeared his arm (and ball) was moving forward? OL just did not give him enough time at all and that position group might not even be starting at USM. When he had time and a decent target, he looked very solid.

RB for ASU looked like Adrian Peterson but was literally a nobody in highschool and played at Sacramento State. Dude was really good.

PI call was an absolute joke and felt like we were cursed at that moment.

ASU fans were lame. Beer prices were insane.

Turner should be fired this week.

Lebby’s biggest mistake was not going out and getting a proven DC that knew how to build and run a program from that side of the ball. Missed tackles, bad angles, no strain, bad game plan. The QB was the worst we will see all year.

Just an awful game from top to bottom. Toledo is not going to be a gimme now. Haven’t watched anything Lebby has said post game yet but I assume most of his boys are safe and he will still be on his rebuild reiteration tour.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Stadium was actually really cool and the heat wasn’t really even that bad. I’ve felt hotter springs in Mississippi.

Our DL is pathetically bad. No toughness, no quickness, unprepared. Just got outclassed in the trenches and never really saw them play with any intensity or sense of urgency.

They pumped in crowd noise from the speakers all night long and routinely kept playing music at snap.

Stone Blanton is a G5 player and we could have picked a player with our eyes closed out of the portal that was a better player than him. Dude got embarrassed on 10+ plays.

Shapen is a better QB than Will. He made some really good decisions. Also, am I crazy of should that play have been reviewed? It appeared his arm (and ball) was moving forward? OL just did not give him enough time at all and that position group might not even be starting at USM. When he had time and a decent target, he looked very solid.

RB for ASU looked like Adrian Peterson but was literally a nobody in highschool and played at Sacramento State. Dude was really good.

Lebby’s biggest mistake was not going out and getting a proven DC that knew how to build and run a program from that side of the ball. Missed tackles, bad angles, no strain, bad game plan. The QB was the worst we will see all year.

Just an awful game from top to bottom. Toledo is not going to be a gimme now. Haven’t watched anything Lebby has said post game yet but I assume most of his boys are safe and he will still be on his rebuild reiteration tour.
Shapen's fumble was definitely a fumble. Just a bad decision. He threw some dimes last night though.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
A semi-competent DL will stop them. That QB for Arizona State was pure trash.
Yeah that is what sucks most for me. As good as we have been on DL in the last 15 years our DL is trash now. I blame poor recruiting and lack of emphasis under leach, Arnett, and now lebby to recruit high level players on defense. Mullen understood that's where you win games.

Reactions: dawgman42

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Which just defies all forms of logic when you think about it. If you’re an offensive minded guy that’s going to be spending 99% of your time recruiting and game planning for that side of the ball, you have to bring in a DC that you can trust to run things without your involvement. Lebby didn’t do that, and he’s going to pay for it this season. Possibly beyond that if someone on this staff doesn’t learn how to recruit DL in a hurry

Reactions: Irondawg and patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Which just defies all forms of logic when you think about it. If you’re an offensive minded guy that’s going to be spending 99% of your time recruiting and game planning for that side of the ball, you have to bring in a DC that you can trust to run things without your involvement. Lebby didn’t do that, and he’s going to pay for it this season. Possibly beyond that if someone on this staff doesn’t learn how to recruit DL in a hurry
We didn’t have semi-legit DCs knocking on our door. Hell, after the Arnett fiasco we couldn’t even get a D1 head coach to open their ears.

All we had to do was make Arnett interim and he could’ve possibly returned as DC and we wouldn’t look so stupid firing a HC after one season. Keenum 17d this up as bad as it could possible be 17d up.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Interesting about the music during opponent possessions. OM plays rap music during the opponent's possession from the time the ball is set to the center over the ball. It's annoying AF. I don't want to hear anything else about cowbells.

Im getting the sense that Stone Blanton is to MSU fans as Caitlyn Clark is to WNBA media.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Yeah that is what sucks most for me. As good as we have been on DL in the last 15 years our DL is trash now. I blame poor recruiting and lack of emphasis under leach, Arnett, and now lebby to recruit high level players on defense. Mullen understood that's where you win games.
It wasn't just the DL, it was the full front 7/6, outside of Jennings at times.

And then you have the DC's unwillingness for most of the game to stack the box and make them throw it despite them clearly being completely inept through the air.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We look stupid for making him HC to begin with, and then firing a HC after one year. That’s the point.
That's was dumb emotional decision that several questioned but were told we had too. I hindsight we still lost recruits and players anyway.
Lebby needs to pay attention to the trenches and get power 4 players

Reactions: eckie1 and 85Bears

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009

If Shapen takes his medicine instead of handing over a TD to a team that ran one 17ing play all night, this might be a different discussion…..The one player who’s experience and composure I thought we could depend on $h I t the bed like everyone else. That and the fact that we still recruit kickers that can’t convert a PAT. There’s 8 pts.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This was going to be a bad year no matter who the coach is due to the roster and schedule. The most obvious thing is how poorly the coaching and the talent on the DL is. The DL coach was here last season and already knew what little depth/talent was here and did very little about it.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
That's was dumb emotional decision that several questioned but were told we had too. I hindsight we still lost recruits and players anyway.
Lebby needs to pay attention to the trenches and get power 4 players
I’m not mad we promoted ZA. I’m mad because the reason he was promoted was to hold everything together. He immediately blew up the offense negating the reason he was promoted.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The very questionable Offensive PI call was a potential 14 point swing. We would have been in good position to score, but we got moved back and then had the fumble for a touchdown (i agree that call should have been reviewed, did we not request a review)?

We should have come out of there with a comfortable victory.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m not mad we promoted ZA. I’m mad because the reason he was promoted was to hold everything together. He immediately blew up the offense negating the reason he was promoted.
I wonder if Keenum told him to keep everything together from the old staff, but he went out on his on to blow everything up? Keenum needs to answer for that.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The very questionable Offensive PI call was a potential 14 point swing. We would have been in good position to score, but we got moved back and then had the fumble for a touchdown (i agree that call should have been reviewed, did we not request a review)?

We should have come out of there with a comfortable victory.
disagree, they dominated the game , it was 27-3 at half. they basically spent the second half burning clock. skattabo slid down at the goal line instead of scoring another 7.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
disagree, they dominated the game , it was 27-3 at half. they basically spent the second half burning clock. skattabo slid down at the goal line instead of scoring another 7.
Without the offensive PI call, it's a decent chance the score is 20-10 (likely at worse 20-6) at the half, plus Shapen got in rhythm as the game went on. All they had was Spicoli and the running ability of the QB.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. They could have won by 20 if they wanted to. When the game finally got close, they went back to running the ball down our throats & ran the clock out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Yeah. They could have won by 20 if they wanted to. When the gene finally got close, they went back to running the ball down our throats & ran the clock out.
Definitely. When you get Completely whipped on both sides of the line of scrimmage you have no chance in a game, especially when their RB is averaging 9 yards a carry.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yeah. They could have won by 20 if they wanted to. When the gene finally got close, they went back to running the ball down our throats & ran the clock out.
Maybe, but that offense PI call (that wasn't PI in my opinion) was the biggest play of the game, they got a TD due to that erroneous call. Wiped out a huge play for us and gave them a TD.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I still refuse to believe we couldn’t have pulled in a competent veteran DC.

I get that some guys like G Collins might not have been interested but I have to believe we had some decent candidates

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I still refuse to believe we couldn’t have pulled in a competent veteran DC.

I get that some guys like G Collins might not have been interested but I have to believe we had some decent candidates
So you think Lebby purposely passed on a veteran DC ?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login