Thoughts on MLB rules changes?

chained1

Apr 4, 2014
The pitch clock is dumb to me. Then again, I was a pitcher so I'm a little bias. I do see the point in the shift rule, trying to get athleticism back into the game to drive up excitement/views. Ozzie was quoted as saying he wouldn't be able to play in today's game because of the shifts and the focus on power and I have to agree with him. Keeping athletes like him out can't be a direction anyone wants to go

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't like the shift and I think it's overused. But I like the rule banning it even less. I'm all for the pitch clock. Yes, it's a little fast by today's pace of the game, but the game has slowed to a slow crawl over the last 20 years.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Pitch clock in MiLB has shaved around 20-30 minutes per game off compared to the majors this year. I’m ok with it.

I like the bigger bases as it will bring stealing a little more back into the game.

The shift one is weird. There will be a ton of LH hitter that benefit from this. But I admit, that I hate seeing a hard hit ball right up the middle being caught. And seeing a runner thrown out by the 2B from shallow right just doesn’t feel right either.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The pitch count has seemed to work fairly well in the minors and I do like it but I think it’s a little too short.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I hate that they have to ban the shift. But they have to ban the shift.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My only real issue is with the pickoff attempt limitations. For a runner to know that after 2 pickoff attempts, another one is very unlikely, is unfair. I know it says they can attempt it and if successful the out is recorded. However, if it is unsuccessful, they get the next base. Is limiting the number of curveballs a pitcher can throw during an at bat or the number of foul tips allowed for a single AB next?

The time part I am okay with. Stop the micromanaging from the dugout. Stop the incessant glove adjusting. Get up there and get the pitch thrown.

Bigger bases are fine.

I am also okay with eliminating the shift. Teams will probably make the infield dirt go further into the outfield. I am okay with 2 on each side of second base. I am not okay that they have to have "cleats in dirt" part. If the second baseman wants to get in the grass, that should be fine. So I don't think there is a defined dimension of the infield dirt, so expect that to expand.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If it's not Bananaball, it's crap!

Seriously though, less time between pitches = better product.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I like banning the shift and the pitch clock. I just wish the infielders had the ability to be in the outfield grass.

The one rule I don't like is the pickoff attempts. You're basically guaranteeing a lot of free stolen bases moving forward.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I get that, but I think the way it will work in real life is it will virtually eliminate the meaningless pickoff attempts that aren't really trying to get the runner out so much as just "let him know I know he's there." If a pitcher throws to first, it's because he's legitimately trying to get the out. The other thing this will do is completely eliminate stepping off the rubber which does nothing but waste time. Bring back the 2-1/2-hour game and baseball will be a lot more fun to watch.

Feb 20, 2011
Terrible:
- Pitch timer with runners on base.
- Limiting the number of pick-off attempts.
- Eliminating the shift.

Good:
- Pitch timer between batters and between pitches with no runners on.

Don’t care:
- Bigger bases.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My only real issue is with the pickoff attempt limitations. For a runner to know that after 2 pickoff attempts, another one is very unlikely, is unfair. I know it says they can attempt it and if successful the out is recorded. However, if it is unsuccessful, they get the next base. Is limiting the number of curveballs a pitcher can throw during an at bat or the number of foul tips allowed for a single AB next?

The time part I am okay with. Stop the micromanaging from the dugout. Stop the incessant glove adjusting. Get up there and get the pitch thrown.

Bigger bases are fine.

I am also okay with eliminating the shift. Teams will probably make the infield dirt go further into the outfield. I am okay with 2 on each side of second base. I am not okay that they have to have "cleats in dirt" part. If the second baseman wants to get in the grass, that should be fine. So I don't think there is a defined dimension of the infield dirt, so expect that to expand.

Agree with everything you said here. I can understand people being upset about the shift being eliminated but it’s for the better to get rid of it. The shift is what has led to the current home run or nothing environment in baseball. I hate the take I’ve seen that if people learn to bunt the shift would be eliminated. Do you really want Aaron judge leading off an inning with a bunt?

For years, football has tilted rules to create more scoring because it’s more exciting. Banning the shift is going to do that for baseball.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I hate the banning of the shift. I get they are doing it to create more offense but I don’t like intervening on strategy of the game. Zone defense in basketball slows down the game of basketball and imagine if they came out and said no, you have to go man to man. Or if you weren’t allowed to do rush 3 drop 8 in football? I do like the pitch clock though

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The NBA has basically outlawed zone by implementing defensive 3 seconds. It creates spacing to improve scoring. Most rules are ultimately implemented to counter someone taking advantage of something. Look at the fake slide from Kenny Pickett last year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I hate the banning of the shift. I get they are doing it to create more offense but I don’t like intervening on strategy of the game. Zone defense in basketball slows down the game of basketball and imagine if they came out and said no, you have to go man to man. Or if you weren’t allowed to do rush 3 drop 8 in football? I do like the pitch clock though

I just don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison. Baseball is already a sport where offensive production is hard. I mean you got to hit a ball with a round bat. Now most pitchers can throw mid to upper 90’s. The shift just makes baseball essentially gorilla ball.

I bet most non pitchers are probably ok with the shift going away.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login