Thoughts on NIL down the road....

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
So Joe Blow signs with Bama and gets a huge deal. Bama has huge fan base and his deal is big. The thing is that WAY more people absolutely LOATHE Alabama football than like it. I see an association with Bama as being a huge detriment to a guy's long term image to the average fan. To them being associated with Bama is a killer.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t see that being an issue. I bet your average casual NFL observer couldn’t tell you where Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, or Trent Richardson went to college. Honestly the whole concept behind NIL has flown out the window. It’s just paying players at this point.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So Joe Blow signs with Bama and gets a huge deal. Bama has huge fan base and his deal is big. The thing is that WAY more people absolutely LOATHE Alabama football than like it. I see an association with Bama as being a huge detriment to a guy's long term image to the average fan. To them being associated with Bama is a killer.

You could make the same argument about any player on the New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, or Los Angeles Lakers. They all have huge fanbases, but more people hate them nationally than love them. Hasn’t stopped those players from getting endorsement deals.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I guess I’m not sure that I follow. If true, wouldn’t the point you’re making apply even without NIL? Wouldn’t going to Bama, donning the crimson colors, and saying Roll Tide be enough for those types of people to dislike a guy regardless of NIL?

I don’t know, but if we’re looking for down the road repercussions, the one that I think is far more dangerous than anything else is the impact on subsidizing other programs. Let’s face it. College football players are about to get paid. A players’ union is coming, there’s likely going to be a break from the NCAA, and a big piece of the revenue pie is going to be earmarked for the players. Congrats to them, but this will all be pulled from somewhere, and I’ve got a good suspicion as to what’s going to take the hit.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login