thoughts

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah, ban tackle football, but steer everyone towards the racket that is travel baseball/soccer/etc. Smart thinking.

I have direct experience with tackle football from ages 7-12. It's not that dangerous. And the hits they take aren't causing CTE. The hard hits start around 13-14, some maybe around upper 11-12.

The guy Steve Famiano in the article is exactly right, flag is not the same. You totally take out the big boys. It's an alternative if nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: ll Martain ll

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
When I was growing up in Jackson, YMCA football was full contact, but no tackling. Skill position players wore flags, along with pads and helmets, and we pulled flags to tackle them. If anyone without flags got the ball, it was dead at that spot.

It was still very much football. But when I moved to a regular league I didn't know how to tackle. Set me behind for a while.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
When I coached my son's city league youth full contact football, I had to get trained and certified. It is safe.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, ban tackle football, but steer everyone towards the racket that is travel baseball/soccer/etc. Smart thinking.
Legion GIF by eUnited

Reactions: mstateglfr

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
From 10 to 17 we played full contact without pads in a field down the road from my house.
Same here but ours was in a big front yard where we drank out of an old green water hose when we got thirsty. There was a sidewalk and a driveway in the "field of play", a street was one sideline and 2 houses the other, a gravel driveway for one endzone and an asphalt one for the other endzone. Guarantee you I still have little grains of sand, gravel, etc in my knees and elbows from it.

This is so politically incorrect now but we also had a game where anything could be used for the ball; a stick, pine cone, rolled up sock it didn't matter. No sidelines, no out of bounds, any number of kids could play it. You ran w/ the "ball" until somebody tackled you. Then you threw it to whomever you wanted to, usually the one that tackled you and they ran until tackled. We called it "Smear the *****"..........

Edited: What, you can't use the word Qu33r any more on this forum? There's a TV show called "Qu33r Eye for the Straight Guy". Where does the Q in LGBTQ come from? What is the damn world coming to? We can post VNSFW photos but not spell out QU33r, just damn........

1704898019409.png

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Same here but ours was in a big front yard where we drank out of an old green water hose when we got thirsty. There was a sidewalk and a driveway in the "field of play", a street was one sideline and 2 houses the other, a gravel driveway for one endzone and an asphalt one for the other endzone. Guarantee you I still have little grains of sand, gravel, etc in my knees and elbows from it.

This is so politically incorrect now but we also had a game where anything could be used for the ball; a stick, pine cone, rolled up sock it didn't matter. No sidelines, no out of bounds, any number of kids could play it. You ran w/ the "ball" until somebody tackled you. Then you threw it to whomever you wanted to, usually the one that tackled you and they ran until tackled. We called it "Smear the *****"..........

Edited: What, you can't use the word Qu33r any more on this forum? There's a TV show called "Qu33r Eye for the Straight Guy". Where does LGBTQ come from? What is the damn world coming to?

View attachment 501575
We used to play it all the time when I was in 4th and 5th grade. Me and my friend were bigger and stronger than our classmates so we dominated that game. I was the only one that could tackle or get the ball from him and vice versa.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When I coached my son's city league youth full contact football, I had to get trained and certified. It is safe.
I will admit this is an issue. Way too many blowhards out there that don't know how to teach head's up football. Or maybe that's just a Rankin County/Mississippi thing? Judging by what I've seen of our football program once all the Mississippi T-bros get some influence on it, maybe it's state wide.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I will admit this is an issue. Way too many blowhards out there that don't know how to teach head's up football. Or maybe that's just a Rankin County/Mississippi thing? Judging by what I've seen of our football program once all the Mississippi T-bros get some influence on it, maybe it's state wide.
I coached in Brandon. The city required the coaches at that time to get certified. I would think they still do but I don't know. I think the problem with Brandon is every dad wants to participate and the coaches' let dads help. The city does not force those dads to get certified. They should. I let several dads on the sideline to help me make sure the participation rules were applied. Every kid gets to play. The city did not force those dads to be certified. The coach on the field had to be but I am sure some were not. I was lucky two seasons. I was able to get a few kids who had dad that was real coaches.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I was thought heads up football too growing up in Meridian.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Edited: What, you can't use the word Qu33r any more on this forum? There's a TV show called "Qu33r Eye for the Straight Guy". Where does the Q in LGBTQ come from? What is the damn world coming to? We can post VNSFW photos but not spell out QU33r, just damn........

View attachment 501575
Talk to management.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I didn't start organized football until I was in 7th grade but that was just due to availability in our very rural area. At some time prior it was common to start 'pee wee' football at 5th and 6th grade. I have no real issue with younger kids playing because they really don't have the size and speed to cause that much harm to each other. The thing I have against a lot of youth sports these days is the all consuming pursuit so much of it seems to be nowadays.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I have direct experience with tackle football from ages 7-12. It's not that dangerous. And the hits they take aren't causing CTE. The hard hits start around 13-14, some maybe around upper 11-12.

The guy Steve Famiano in the article is exactly right, flag is not the same. You totally take out the big boys. It's an alternative if nothing else.

Granted you can find evidence of dubmasses anywhere and it's not really a reason to ban things, but I have seen a video of peewee kids, I'm guessing 3rd and 4th grade, doing an oklahoma drill and kids getting up staggering and the dubmass parents all whooping and hollering. Looked to be mainly the more mature kids just smoking the less mature ones. Of all the things legislators get worked up over, that would be one where their ban happy impulses wouldn't bother me as much.

Also, you really don't need to play tackle football before Jr. High. Blocking and tackling isn't rocket science and I suspect peewee football on average creates just as many bad habits to break as it does actually give people a head start.

I know that if I was in California I would be thrilled anytime the legislature is just involved in something they shouldn't and not creating any major harms. Much rather them be focused on youth sports than on the next way they can 17 up adults' lives.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Serious question, what is the point of 7-year-old football be it tackle or flag? Can they run routes and catch passes? I've seen a few 7-year-old sports like coach pitch baseball, basketball, and soccer. It usually is a cluster. Football requires lots of people to do a specific job on each play. Do 7-year-olds do it? I have a girl so youth football is now foreign to me outside of when I played growing up but we didn't start until 4th/5th grade and looking back that had to be brutal to watch as we just handed off to the big kid each play with the rest of us flailing around. I feel like we didn't start doing anything constructive until Jr. High.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
From 10 to 17 we played full contact without pads in a field down the road from my house.
So did we, but that doesnt mean it was smart.
We also sat in the back of station wagons without seat belts(or seats), played dodgeball without the rule of no face hits, never used a helmet when riding a bike/snowboarding/skiing, and used to tie skateboards to the back of our cars to pull friends and slam on the brakes...every.single.time.

I long ago learned that what I did as a kid should have no bearing on how youth sports and activities are run now.

I dont know how beneficial and necessary this CA proposal is, but I do know I shouldnt base my opinion on how I grew up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Granted you can find evidence of dubmasses anywhere and it's not really a reason to ban things, but I have seen a video of peewee kids, I'm guessing 3rd and 4th grade, doing an oklahoma drill and kids getting up staggering and the dubmass parents all whooping and hollering. Looked to be mainly the more mature kids just smoking the less mature ones. Of all the things legislators get worked up over, that would be one where their ban happy impulses wouldn't bother me as much.

Also, you really don't need to play tackle football before Jr. High. Blocking and tackling isn't rocket science and I suspect peewee football on average creates just as many bad habits to break as it does actually give people a head start.

I know that if I was in California I would be thrilled anytime the legislature is just involved in something they shouldn't and not creating any major harms. Much rather them be focused on youth sports than on the next way they can 17 up adults' lives.
Serious question, what is the point of 7-year-old football be it tackle or flag? Can they run routes and catch passes? I've seen a few 7-year-old sports like coach pitch baseball, basketball, and soccer. It usually is a cluster. Football requires lots of people to do a specific job on each play. Do 7-year-olds do it? I have a girl so youth football is now foreign to me outside of when I played growing up but we didn't start until 4th/5th grade and looking back that had to be brutal to watch as we just handed off to the big kid each play with the rest of us flailing around. I feel like we didn't start doing anything constructive until Jr. High.
What's the point of any youth sports at that age? It's parental entertainment.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Yeah, we played and called it that too. Funny enough, a few weeks ago I told my girls and nieces that is what we used to call the game as kids and all 5 damn near fainted in disbelief.
Heck, that was the more polite and acceptable term as there was another one for that game which wasnt used often, and was worse.

As for why that cant be used on this forum...well this shouldnt come a surprise, but that term is very rarely used on a message board(especially a sports site) as anything other than an insult. So even if it can be used as a non-judgmental descriptor word, I am guessing the powers that be decided to just not allow it. And I am guessing they had mountains of examples where it was used insultingly vs as an innocent descriptor word.
Ha, your point about VNSFW pics is very good.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, we played and called it that too. Funny enough, a few weeks ago I told my girls and nieces that is what we used to call the game as kids and all 5 damn near fainted in disbelief.
Heck, that was the more polite and acceptable term as there was another one for that game which wasnt used often, and was worse.

As for why that cant be used on this forum...well this shouldnt come a surprise, but that term is very rarely used on a message board(especially a sports site) as anything other than an insult. So even if it can be used as a non-judgmental descriptor word, I am guessing the powers that be decided to just not allow it. And I am guessing they had mountains of examples where it was used insultingly vs as an innocent descriptor word.
Ha, your point about VNSFW pics is very good.
Do you know what they call that game now where you live? I heard a name for it the other day and I was curious if that was the widespread name for it now or if one of the local dads starting to explain the game and had to substitute the name on the fly.

eedawg

Jul 21, 2017
When I was growing up in Jackson, YMCA football was full contact, but no tackling. Skill position players wore flags, along with pads and helmets, and we pulled flags to tackle them. If anyone without flags got the ball, it was dead at that spot.

It was still very much football. But when I moved to a regular league I didn't know how to tackle. Set me behind for a while.
When i played YMCA 3 and 4th grade was flag and 5th and 6th was tackle.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
We called it "Smear the *****"..........

When we got to High School a foreign exchange student from Eastern Europe joined our class. His name was Samir. Guess what he was known as? He was an all right dude, but the name stuck. Couldn't handle his booze real well, but he was fun to be around.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

View attachment 501575
Well, the game was initially just 'Smear'. It was folks like @mstateglfr that evolved it and started using those insulting words.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Do you know what they call that game now where you live? I heard a name for it the other day and I was curious if that was the widespread name for it now or if one of the local dads starting to explain the game and had to substitute the name on the fly.
No idea what its called where I live now. Not sure what its now called where I grew up either.
Is it even really played now?...seriously 0 clue.
Having no boys for children or local nieces, I am about as disconnected as it gets when it comes to this sort of thing. Some neighbors we are friends with have 2 boys and hang with our kids...cant say they have ever decided to just unmercifully wail on one of the group for no reason like we used to do.

...we used to play a game called 'mystery drink' where 2 people got to make a smoothie with whatever 5 ingredients they want and 2 others had to drink it without knowing whats in it, or get punched. It would then go back and forth until one side lost their **** and argued or worse. More than once, there was cat **** as an ingredient, so there is that.
I am glad my kids arent anything like me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login