Thunder & Lightning: Brian + Robbie era

Aug 22, 2012
I noticed in a thread below that some have said that they believe T&L is "the pits" or has gone down since Joel left. I don't know how everyone else feels, but personally I like it better with Robbie there now.

Brian is good at what he does and he has a strong opinion on most things. In times past, whether with Bob or Joel, Brian could have the tendency to talk over and/or interrupt a thought from Bob/Joel that he wanted to disagree with or had a strong counterpoint. That sometimes irritated me (though I probably do that myself sometimes).

Robbie keeps on going and is bold enough to stand his ground with a passion. I didn't see that near as often before. For me, I think it's made for a positive improvement on the pod. Both guys with strong opinions who can talk through both sides of things. And that's no slight towards Joel T or Bobby C. at all.

Am I alone here?

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
I noticed in a thread below that some have said that they believe T&L is "the pits" or has gone down since Joel left. I don't know how everyone else feels, but personally I like it better with Robbie there now.

Brian is good at what he does and he has a strong opinion on most things. In times past, whether with Bob or Joel, Brian could have the tendency to talk over and/or interrupt a thought from Bob/Joel that he wanted to disagree with or had a strong counterpoint. That sometimes irritated me (though I probably do that myself sometimes).

Robbie keeps on going and is bold enough to stand his ground with a passion. I didn't see that near as often before. For me, I think it's made for a positive improvement on the pod. Both guys with strong opinions who can talk through both sides of things. And that's no slight towards Joel T or Bobby C. at all.

Am I alone here?

You are not alone. While I like Joel T, I prefer Robbie

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I actually preferred Joel a little bit more. No disrespect meant toward Robbie, I don't think he does a bad job, but I think he is basically like having a second Brian which means a lot of times you are doubling down on the strong opinions and pretty definitive statements, whereas with Joel you had a bit more of a contrast of styles and I thought the conversations could be a little more balanced in terms of differing opinions.

I do wish Bob's hands hadn't been tied by his job with the school. The few shows they did when Bob was no longer affiliated directly with MSU were some of the best shows they ever did. He just had to toe the company line for the majority of their run, so that made certain shows kinda awkward.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I don’t think it’s worse than before. I will say I thought Joel had a particular area of expertise (baseball) and I don’t know that Robbie has that.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
In my opinion it's three different eras of the same show, so really three different shows: Bob, Joel T, and Robbie. I don't really rank one over the other. Each one has their pros and cons.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
This is just my opinion of course but I find the constant bickering between the two to be a bit distracting. Hadad is opinionated so I can appreciate faulk standing up to him but to me he often comes across like a sour, grumpy old man.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
T&L is my favorite podcast. I liked it when Joel was there but I like it now also with Robbie. I actually like the bickering, if Robbie agreed with everything Hadad stated it would be pretty boring. Also, it is just my nature but I tend to agree with Hadad's point of view most times. Maybe it b/c we are both from Vicksburg and have the same Warren County redneck running through our veins. haha

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
I remembered they argued after the Memphis game for 15 minutes about walkons playing and recruiting better backs if we have walkons starting over them. Brian said something that irked Robbie about Jacquez Hunter and Robbie set the record straight. Both held their ground and made great points over the course of the argument and it made me enjoy the pod that day. The dynamic is pretty good with both of them and it was also good with Joel and Bob

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I like the podcast but sometimes I cant listen to the Rumblings. Their show so they can talk about wrestling all they want but I can't listen to it.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013

Am I alone here?

I agree with you. Robbie makes the show better. I have always liked the show and it’s my favorite State podcast but Robbie not being afraid to have a strong opinion makes it much better.

Aug 22, 2012
This is just my opinion of course but I find the constant bickering between the two to be a bit distracting. Hadad is opinionated so I can appreciate faulk standing up to him but to me he often comes across like a sour, grumpy old man.
Wait, which one is the sour + grumpy old man? lol

Aug 22, 2012
I remembered they argued after the Memphis game for 15 minutes about walkons playing and recruiting better backs if we have walkons starting over them. Brian said something that irked Robbie about Jacquez Hunter and Robbie set the record straight. Both held their ground and made great points over the course of the argument and it made me enjoy the pod that day. The dynamic is pretty good with both of them and it was also good with Joel and Bob
That day was when I saw things really settle in and reach a new level.

And HD6 ended up coming around on Christian Ford eventually too. haha

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I think I prefer Robbie over Joel. Nothing against Joel but he is definitely a sunshine pumper. I like some positivity but it can get to be too much

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011

Am I alone here?

Agreed. Much better banter and good when they disagree and hash stuff out.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Joel’s voice changed after T&L and you cannot tell me different.

I agree. I've only heard Joel a handful of times since he left T&L but it seems his voice has gotten deeper and his delivery more relaxed. This comes with time and growing more comfortable with what you're doing.

Dawgology

Sep 15, 2011
I would like to see one episode where it’s Bob, Joel T, and Robbie together…without Hadad. Just to see what would unfold.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I like Robbie better then Joel. I felt like Brian and Joel thought alike so you just got alot of agreement throughout the show. There’s more debate between Brian and Robbie.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Can’t call it a Roast because Brian would show up because he heard the word “roast” and thought it was a meal.**

Sep 15, 2009
I guess since I know Joel and Robbie personally, I don't really prefer one over the other. I enjoy(ed) what they both brought to the show.

Shadow34

Aug 22, 2012
While I really don't have a preference of either....... have any of you ever noticed that in every Joel T Coleman interview he does with a player or coach, etc. he says "kinda" in almost every question? Maybe this has been talked about before. But my friends and I started playing a drinking game to every time he says "kinda or kind of" and well, as you can imagine, we had to stop after a short period of time due to our livers writing their congressmen. Joking aside I like Joel, just wish he didnt say that in virtually every single question or statement he makes in his interviews. I thoroughly enjoy reading his articles.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
While we are discussing roast let me tell you about the Mississippi beef council

Aug 22, 2012
While I really don't have a preference of either....... have any of you ever noticed that in every Joel T Coleman interview he does with a player or coach, etc. he says "kinda" in almost every question? Maybe this has been talked about before. But my friends and I started playing a drinking game to every time he says "kinda or kind of" and well, as you can imagine, we had to stop after a short period of time due to our livers writing their congressmen. Joking aside I like Joel, just wish he didnt say that in virtually every single question or statement he makes in his interviews. I thoroughly enjoy reading his articles.
Yes. I have no doubt that Joel is a fantastic person. But from his past interviews on T&L and now with his HailState gig... he says "kinda" and "sorta" MULTIPLE times in each question. And he half answers his questions IN HIS QUESTION! Each question is 3 or 4 sentences long.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's all that Kool-Aid he is forced to swallow down and regurgitate now

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login