Thunder & Lightning: Does Will Rogers Have an NFL Future?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
One of the nation’s top college football analysts had some high praise for Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers on Wednesday, talking about him as one of the best field generals in all of the country. Does that mean there’s an NFL career in the future for Rogers? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss Rogers, his upcoming season, and his chances at being a pro in 2024.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Does Will Rogers Have an NFL Future? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If he gains the ability to throw a pass more than 12 yards down field, then yes. But even then, he has to compete against guys like Hooker that can do everything he can do but also throw the ball 70 yards on a dime. Will just cannot do that.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
If he gains the ability to throw a pass more than 12 yards down field, then yes. But even then, he has to compete against guys like Hooker that can do everything he can do but also throw the ball 70 yards on a dime. Will just cannot do that.
1000% correct.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Will can throw a pretty decent 50-yard pass. We've seen him do it. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's strong enough.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
One of the nation’s top college football analysts had some high praise for Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers on Wednesday, talking about him as one of the best field generals in all of the country. Does that mean there’s an NFL career in the future for Rogers? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss Rogers, his upcoming season, and his chances at being a pro in 2024.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Does Will Rogers Have an NFL Future? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...
John Candy No GIF by Laff

He has the scrambling ability of Dan Marion and Peyton Manning, and the downfield arm strength of Michael Henig. But he is very accurate so there's that........

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He's pretty immobile for from we have seen. His arm strength has been lacking. His accuracy is nice unless he is being chased. I will say I'm interested to see what he looks like in this more pro style offense. It might help him not throwing as much. Play actions could help too.
There is a reason he put up big numbers last three years but didn't sniff heisman.

most of these nfl guy can move pretty good and have strong arms. Will not gonna be able to avoid an nfl de or get balls past some of these nfl corners on a rope. Brady was a pocket but he had a strong arm until the end. Not many guys like Brady or Payton. They were good because they would throw guys open too or get them in open.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can they? Rogers is pretty accurate. That's a necessary skill at the NFL level.

The arm strength is what is in question. There is a minimum level needed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Will fits the "old" stereotype of an NFL QB much better than he does the "new" stereotype.
Meh. The only true stereotype of an NFL QB that has success is a minimum-threshold arm strength and accuracy. The best offenses in the NFL is when the QB gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

All the mobile stuff is just a fad. Without the above, you must have a lot of help around you, AND be an incredible athlete, like Vick or Jackson. Basically, the best of the best. Hurts had the surrounding cast.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I wouldn't have thought so but if an NFL analyst likes him who knows.....
Those analysts liked Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel, Colt McCoy, most U FL and AL QBs ever, Tim Tebow, Michael Vick, Matt Leinhart, etc etc etc too and they were much more successful than Will has been, so far. Anything can happen but I can't see it

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Those analysts liked Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel, Colt McCoy, most U FL and AL QBs ever, Tim Tebow, Michael Vick, Matt Leinhart, etc etc etc too and they were much more successful than Will has been, so far. Anything can happen but I can't see it

I don’t think anybody is saying he’ll be a high draft pick like those guys. But a Day 3 pick that makes a roster and gets occasional playing time in a backup role eventually? Yeah I could see that.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
He was referred to as "the midget" while here. He completed 135-of-308 passes (.438) for 1,831 yards, nine touchdowns and 15 interceptions . . . Has also rushed 45 times (minus 66 yards). None of that translates into a strong arm from what I remember

Henig had a stronger arm than Rogers. He was a midget, and he was on terrible teams. However, his arm strength wasn’t his limitation.

The ability to throw a football a long way does not make you a quarterback, just like throwing a baseball 97 mph doesn’t make you a pitcher.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

More...
As the team chaplain

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012

More...
I'll go against the grain and say yes. Anyone who thinks he can't throw more than 20 yards downfield has a bias or agenda and don't know what they are talking about. He's one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen at MSU and he makes the routine throws look easy.

He won't be a first rounder but I think he can get in late (a la Dak Prescott) and his work ethic will keep him around for a while.

EDIT: as evidence for my assertion that he can throw:

2021:
1) TD against NC State was 30+ yards in the air.
2) TD pass against Memphis was 40+ yards in the air.
3) TD pass against LSU was 35 yards in the air.
4) TD pass vs A&M was 35+ yards in the air.
5) TD pass against Vandy LOOKED like it was 50 yards in the air.

I haven't bothered looking at 2020 or 2022, or even finishing 2021 but 5 examples of him accurately throwing TD passes of 35+ yards shows me he can throw it well enough to count if he has receivers and gets the opportunity.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login