Thunder & Lightning: Is Will Rogers Respected Enough By His Own Fans?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think the casual fan is good with him, and some of our diehards feel like we could do better.

Me personally, he totally won me over in Jordan Hare Stadium in 2021. Last year was a little bit of a step back but his numbers were still better than many want to give him credit for. The guy has a career TD:INT ratio of 82:24.

I am eager to see him in a different offense. Will tell us a lot, I think, in terms of if he was just a good system QB or if he’s just a good QB.

Zebrahater

Sep 1, 2017
My son's best friend & high school teammate plays QB, Jake Weir. I think he might be the #3, right now. He was a walk-on from Tupelo. He's a great, super smart guy. MSU has 4-5 kids from the Tupelo area I coached in PeeWee travel football for years. Anyone had a chance to watch Jake in the spring game or practices? My son plays down at South AL, so I can't keep up much with his buddies & old teammates like I'd want.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I love his accuracy and his competitiveness. He's the only QB other than Dak in the last forever who seems to make the easy throws.

I don't love his propensity to turn his back on the defense when he gets into trouble in the pocket. It usually ends with him losing another 10 yards and getting sacked anyway. That's a fixable thing, but he needs to change that.

He's not the best runner. He doesn't have the strongest arm (but it's strong enough). I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this season at what he can do at QB. Hopefully, our running game can take some pressure off him.

I miss Leach, and I didn't mind his offense being a little underpowered since we are still waiting on some of our receivers to develop. Rogers takes a lot of blame for things he has/had no control over, but he keeps fighting.

He embodies MSU football to me. Undersized, undertalented, but fights like Hell anyway. And every now and then, does something special.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We all know the drill on Will. He doesn't have the physical tools to be dominating with his arm or legs, and no amount of speed training or lifting weights will get him there.

But he's accurate and experienced. So, in my mind, he's got to develop some good pocket awareness. He's got to step up and deliver the ball with poise. He's got the line to do it. Eli Manning and Tom Brady were great about this. Obviously Rogers doesn't have to be on an elite NFL level, but still, that's the skill he needs to hone.

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think some of it is our fans fell in love with mobile QBs in the Mullen era, and even Garrett Shrader to a certain extent, and because Will isn’t that, his negative attributes get focused on a lot and some of the positives get overlooked.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I think some of it is our fans fell in love with mobile QBs in the Mullen era, and even Garrett Shrader to a certain extent, and because Will isn’t that, his negative attributes get focused on a lot and some of the positives get overlooked.
You mean we like D1/SEC-caliber athletes? Yes, I agree.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Multiple instances of sliding/running out of bounds to avoid contact on 4th and short is what did it for me.

Reactions: shep9332

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Sure he is. Many MSU fans just don't understand stats. There's a part of the fan base that appreciates him for what he is, a damn solid QB and decision maker that is setting every record in the books due mostly to scheme. He's layered typical running game stats on top of typical QB stats via the Leach scheme (like every solid Leach QB that has come before him) and the other pearl clutching part of the fan base takes offense to it if you don't call him the 2nd coming.

There's no controversy or under appreciation. Just some dummies catching the vapors.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login