Thunder & Lightning: Making A Case for Sawyer Robertson

VolunteerDawg

Aug 18, 2016
I would still go with Will this year, but I think y’all missed an important part of the argument for Sawyer (or maybe you just assumed it?).

It’s not just, as Robbie said, that Sawyer can throw farther and harder. It’s the effect that stretching the field can have for the rest of the offense. Is Will’s 75% completion impressive? Heck yes it is. I sure as heck couldn’t do it, and y’all are right when you say that there’s no law saying the passes have to be completed.

We should also recognize that short passes are going to have, by their nature, a much higher completion percentage. But that also tells the defense that, if the QB doesn’t have a strong enough arm to zip it downfield, that they can load the box more because they don’t have to worry as much about the receivers getting past them. If the QB can stretch the field more, his percentage will surely go down, but his yards will likely go up (both yards in the air and yards after catch) as defenders can’t load the box as much. Sawyer is superior to Will in this regard for me.

Like I said, I’d still start Will this year. He’s super comfortable and highly accurate. BUT I don’t want to get the reason wrong of why Sawyer has an advantage. As accurate as Will is, I worry that he’s simply physically limited and our offense will never develop beyond his limitations. If the defense knows the ball is rarely going over their heads (and even when it does, it’s moving slowly enough to where they can make up the ground), they can keep everything in front of them. Not an offense I want for the next several years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There is no case for Sawyer Robertson. Will Rogers is our starter. End of story.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
This. Get him some elite speed receivers (we still don’t have any) and a few more OL, he will be able to stretch field just fine.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Rogers is a really good QB, go watch the tape of the A&M and Auburn games last year if you need a reminder. And that was only his true sophomore year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would still go with Will this year, but I think y’all missed an important part of the argument for Sawyer (or maybe you just assumed it?).

It’s not just, as Robbie said, that Sawyer can throw farther and harder. It’s the effect that stretching the field can have for the rest of the offense. Is Will’s 75% completion impressive? Heck yes it is. I sure as heck couldn’t do it, and y’all are right when you say that there’s no law saying the passes have to be completed.

We should also recognize that short passes are going to have, by their nature, a much higher completion percentage. But that also tells the defense that, if the QB doesn’t have a strong enough arm to zip it downfield, that they can load the box more because they don’t have to worry as much about the receivers getting past them. If the QB can stretch the field more, his percentage will surely go down, but his yards will likely go up (both yards in the air and yards after catch) as defenders can’t load the box as much. Sawyer is superior to Will in this regard for me.

Like I said, I’d still start Will this year. He’s super comfortable and highly accurate. BUT I don’t want to get the reason wrong of why Sawyer has an advantage. As accurate as Will is, I worry that he’s simply physically limited and our offense will never develop beyond his limitations. If the defense knows the ball is rarely going over their heads (and even when it does, it’s moving slowly enough to where they can make up the ground), they can keep everything in front of them. Not an offense I want for the next several years.

Will can throw the ball deep. It's not like his receivers on a fly will outrun where he can throw it to. To the extent he's limited, it's on routes like 15 yd out. I don't know how much better Sawyer would be at those.

My expectation is that Sawyer is going to sit the bench unless and until Will gets hurt. If Will gets hurt, Sawyer may pass him. If Will doesn't get hurt, I would expect Sawyer to transfer out after this season. If Sawyer beats Will out without getting the opportunity due to injury, then he will be a special talent.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Imagine how good he will be in 2 more years. I'm looking forward to Sawyer but if he can't beat Will out that's the end of the story. Im sure Leach would give Will the benefit of the doubt due to trust and experience, but....if he thinks Sawyer is a better QB he will make the change. And I feel like Leach knows who can perform at QB best. And BTW, people act like Sawyer is in his junior year or something. He is only a redshirt freshman, correct ?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login