Thunder & Lightning: Mississippi State Baseball Can’t Land Its Friday Night Starter From the Portal

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
Mississippi State baseball’s most important offseason task was to find somebody it could count on to start Friday nights for them. After Alabama’s Luke Holman opted for LSU on Thursday, it appears that objective will go unaccomplished. Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss another tough blow for Chris Lemonis and staff in their effort to turn the program back to where it belongs.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Mississippi State Baseball Can’t Land Its Friday Night Starter From the Portal appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
2024 is shaping up to be Lemonis last like 2023 should have been.
I certainly wasn’t expecting a lot this off-season, but I guess I did have a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe a light would be lit under Lemonis’s butt and we’d see something special in the portal. Unfortunately, our biggest Summer news has mostly been about us holding on to our own players, so yeah… the ‘24 season’s ceiling appears to be incredibly low.

Reactions: thekimmer

patdog

May 28, 2007
I certainly wasn’t expecting a lot this off-season, but I guess I did have a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe a light would be lit under Lemonis’s butt and we’d see something special in the portal. Unfortunately, our biggest Summer news has mostly been about us holding on to our own players, so yeah… the ‘24 season’s ceiling appears to be incredibly low.
If 2021 didn't light a fire under his a**, I don't know why 2022 would. We will be improved next year though. We've actually improved our batting order and defense, especially if we get Montgomery. And pitching won't be as bad as it was last year even without any top pitching transfers (I do think the D-II transfer will help us in relief most likely). I expect we'll be a borderline regional team. Which may or may not be enough to save Lemonis's job.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
If 2021 didn't light a fire under his a**, I don't know why 2022 would. We will be improved next year though. We've actually improved our batting order and defense, especially if we get Montgomery. And pitching won't be as bad as it was last year even without any top pitching transfers (I do think the D-II transfer will help us in relief most likely). I expect we'll be a borderline regional team. Which may or may not be enough to save Lemonis's job.
We gave him a third year which I don't think he deserved. I said in 2023 he should have had to make a regional to keep his job and he didn't. So I think this season he should have to do a little more than that to keep his job. To me the minimum this season to stay should be to finish in the top 4 of the western division and that is still a pretty low target in my opinion. I have little faith that he will come close to doing that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We gave him a third year which I don't think he deserved. I said in 2023 he should have had to make a regional to keep his job and he didn't. So I think this season he should have to do a little more than that to keep his job. To me the minimum this season to stay should be to finish in the top 4 of the western division and that is still a pretty low target in my opinion. I have little faith that he will come close to doing that.
I agree. But it's pretty obvious that after we won the national championship, the consensus among our fans and administration is we can't top that so nothing matters anymore except the stadium, crowds, and Left Field Lounge.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I agree. But it's pretty obvious that after we won the national championship, the consensus among our fans and administration is we can't top that so nothing matters anymore except the stadium, crowds, and Left Field Lounge.
We've coasted on momentum from that really big hill for two years and it is about to grind to a halt. Polk II and the first couple of years after showed us that the crowds will tire of watching a loser.

Reactions: patdog

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I'm hoping that at the least we quit worrying so much about strike outs and pitch smarter and let the D do it's job.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
We've coasted on momentum from that really big hill for two years and it is about to grind to a halt. Polk II and the first couple of years after showed us that the crowds will tire of watching a loser.
On the bright side this might actually free up a few season tickets

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login