Thunder & Lightning: What Schedule is Best for The SEC and Best for Mississippi State?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
SEC Spring Meetings are up and running in Destin, and finally we are about to learn the plan for conference scheduling with the arrival of Texas and Oklahoma next season. Will it be the long rumored nine game model, or will it remain a slighty altered version of eight? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk examine the latest news and ask which plan is best in the long run for Mississippi State.

The post Thunder & Lightning: What Schedule is Best for The SEC and Best for Mississippi State? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

patdog

May 28, 2007
My guess is they kick the football schedule issue down the road. It looks like the only way the 9-game schedule is going to happen is if ESPN kicks in some more money. And they're not going to do that until they have to. So I think we see a game of brinksmanship until the last minute.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Maybe add a 13th regular season game. Open up a week earlier in August. Could help in keeping the rivalry games and make things a little more flexible. The NFL now plays 17 games. Why can't D1 football play 13 regular season games plus the playoffs.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
SEC Spring Meetings are up and running in Destin, and finally we are about to learn the plan for conference scheduling with the arrival of Texas and Oklahoma next season. Will it be the long rumored nine game model, or will it remain a slighty altered version of eight? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk examine the latest news and ask which plan is best in the long run for Mississippi State.

The post Thunder & Lightning: What Schedule is Best for The SEC and Best for Mississippi State? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...
They're not doing away with the FCS game, so not sure why that scenario was played out in the podcast. According to Dellenger's previous reporting, it would almost certainly be the non-conference P5 game that gets canceled if it goes to 9. That would be required to get enough 8 votes to switch to 9.

And I'm sure ole miss is "on the fence" about 9 because the likelihood is that Vandy would be one of their permanents if it goes to 9. If that's true, and they eliminate the P5 requirement, they should be for 9 games. It's unlikely they would be able to schedule an easier non-con P5 opponent than Vandy each year.

All that said, I think they stay with 8 and revisit things once/if they can renegotiate with ESPN for more money to go to 9.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe add a 13th regular season game. Open up a week earlier in August. Could help in keeping the rivalry games and make things a little more flexible. The NFL now plays 17 games. Why can't D1 football play 13 regular season games plus the playoffs.
Name one SEC stadium you'd want to sit in during the middle of August.

Reactions: patdog

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I hope it stays the same. I like the power 5 matchup, and 80% of the time it will be an easier game to win.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Name one SEC stadium you'd want to sit in during the middle of August
Seems like a good time to mention that I will never, and I mean NEVER, attend an early season game here again

College Sports Sport GIF by University of Memphis

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
12 is already too many. I don't know if you noticed, but some teams are about to be playing as many as 4 playoff games, in addition to a conference championship game. Though in reality, it'll be 3 games, so 16 total.

We don't need more games.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login