Thunder & Lightning: Will 2023 Mirror 2015 for Mississippi State?

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
A team is coming off a great season, with a veteran quarterback surrounded by proven playmakers, and a defense that is strong up front, but this team isn’t garnering any preseason respect. Are you talking about Mississippi State this season or in 2015? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss the similarities between those two Bulldog squads.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Will 2023 Mirror 2015 for Mississippi State? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is actually a very good comparison. I didn't think so at first, but the more I think about it, the more similar the years are. Schedule is similar too, as far as home and away.

Hot take: I think we clip one of LSU and Bama this year. I also think we beat Ole Miss. But we'll drop a road game or two. So I'm seeing a 9-3 or 10-2. Remember I said it.

What really sucks is that if the 12-team playoff were next year, I'd say we have a solid chance of making it. Be as it stands, if we go 10-2, we'll be in a pointless NY6 or Citrus Bowl. bleh

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I worry about the DB's. Someone needs to reinsure me it is going to be ok.
I'll help.

1) Decam is a returning starter and fully capable of being an NFL-caliber guy;
2) Banks is a senior, has the talent, and will play a good bit;
3) Furge and Preston have played a ton, even if they aren't the most talented;
4) Ellington is going to be a good player and likely start;
5) Morant, Washington, Raydar, Khamauri, Keys - all older, talented transfers - we have bodies;

That's not taking into account any freshmen. Or the fact that our DL is going to be dominant.

This is a very, very solid team we have this year. Just hope we don't blow it on another 8-4 (which I appreciate, but we're better than that).

Reactions: GloryDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The coaching change makes me understand it a little bit more this year. People don’t know Arnett, and frankly we don’t even know what he’s going to be as a head coach. I’m optimistic, but he’s by far the most unproven HC in the SEC West. And people liked Leach so they tend to short sell some of Arnett’s upside.

2015 was the peak of “yeah well it’s Mississippi State”. Literally returned the 1st team All SEC QB and people had us going 6-6. That was also the same year as the absurd Jeremy Johnson hype at Auburn, and then he wasn’t even starting by the time we played them in Week 4.

We should’ve gone 10-2 in ‘15. We had LSU beat and Dan botched the end of that game, and then we laid an Egg in College Station against an A&M team we were better than.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
A team is coming off a great season, with a veteran quarterback surrounded by proven playmakers, and a defense that is strong up front, but this team isn’t garnering any preseason respect. Are you talking about Mississippi State this season or in 2015? Brian Hadad and Robbie Faulk discuss the similarities between those two Bulldog squads.

The post Thunder & Lightning: Will 2023 Mirror 2015 for Mississippi State? appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...
I think the more apt comparison is will 2023 mirror 2018. Like 2018, 2023 features another first year, first time HC with a lot returning but a change in offense. 2018 was a HUGE disappointment. Hope 2023 doesn't follow suit.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
This is actually a very good comparison. I didn't think so at first, but the more I think about it, the more similar the years are. Schedule is similar too, as far as home and away.

Hot take: I think we clip one of LSU and Bama this year. I also think we beat Ole Miss. But we'll drop a road game or two. So I'm seeing a 9-3 or 10-2. Remember I said it.

What really sucks is that if the 12-team playoff were next year, I'd say we have a solid chance of making it. Be as it stands, if we go 10-2, we'll be in a pointless NY6 or Citrus Bowl. bleh
I wouldn’t call the citrus or NY6 pointless

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think the more apt comparison is will 2023 mirror 2018. Like 2018, 2023 features another first year, first time HC with a lot returning but a change in offense. 2018 was a HUGE disappointment. Hope 2023 doesn't follow suit.

To be fair, this team isn’t getting 2018 kind of hype. We were picked to finish 3rd in the West in ‘18, it’s almost a lock that we will be picked 6th or 7th this year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
True, but going from what we had in 2017 to throwing it all over the yard, was total dumbassedry. I am hopeful that Arnett isn't THAT damn dumb. And, as has been outlined here before, it's easier to go from an offense set up for throwing, to a more balanced approach.

We have a 4th year starting QB who is accurate, five 23-year old offensive linemen, numerous talented receivers, and a stable of tailbacks. And a backup QB who is fairly fast, and a couple of TEs, one who has played it a good bit, and a second who is talented enough for Georgia. We should be able to do about whatever we want, depending on the situation.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wouldn’t call the citrus or NY6 pointless
I would. A quarter of the players opt out. It's unfortunate but the playoff is all that matters. And the payout is chump change compared to the TV money we get.

The 4-team playoff era will go down as the most boring in college football history, overall. During the BCS years, the bowls still mattered. That fell off quickly.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I would. A quarter of the players opt out. It's unfortunate but the playoff is all that matters. And the payout is chump change compared to the TV money we get.

The 4-team playoff era will go down as the most boring in college football history, overall. During the BCS years, the bowls still mattered. That fell off quickly.
Maybe from a national perspective but don’t tell me you wouldn’t take 11-2 with an orange bowl win

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe from a national perspective but don’t tell me you wouldn’t take 11-2 with an orange bowl win
Sure I would. But I would be disappointed because I know the following year, we'd have been in the playoff.

I hate that we have this stacked team, this year. Really wish it was 2025.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I'll help.

1) Decam is a returning starter and fully capable of being an NFL-caliber guy;
2) Banks is a senior, has the talent, and will play a good bit;
3) Furge and Preston have played a ton, even if they aren't the most talented;
4) Ellington is going to be a good player and likely start;
5) Morant, Washington, Raydar, Khamauri, Keys - all older, talented transfers - we have bodies;

That's not taking into account any freshmen. Or the fact that our DL is going to be dominant.

This is a very, very solid team we have this year. Just hope we don't blow it on another 8-4 (which I appreciate, but we're better than that).
I do not know what they are really capable of, but Morant and Washington were both highly recruited out of HS.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login