Tiger Woods is..

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
..playing golf as well as he or (I believe) any other human ever has. He is absolutely embarrassing Stewart Cink today.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
..playing golf as well as he or (I believe) any other human ever has. He is absolutely embarrassing Stewart Cink today.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
He is 20 wins away from being the all time wins leader and he is 32 years old. That is unreal

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
He'll shatter the all-time wins record, and he'll probably shatter Jack's major record. I honestly expect he'll finish with at least 25 major titles. I love watching the guy play because he's so unreal at what he does. What does that make it, 3 tournaments, 3 titles this year?

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________And has won 8 out of his last 9._________________________________________________

Now that's sick. What's even more sick is the fact that it's not really a fluke.

Badon

Jun 12, 2006
I thought Cink was from the Florence, AL area (or at least went to high school there).

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
and he came in 2nd in the one he lost.

i watched him play the british open in 2002 when he shot his worst round in a major. i think he shot 82. i thought, WOW an 84 is his worst.... that must suck since it was raining, windy, cold, and in frigging Scotland on a hard as course.

he was fun to watch today. the flat stick was hotter than usual.

B

BattleStations

Brutius has had some choice words about Tiger. I guess he has given up trying to bash the Greatest and realizes what a complete idiot he was in doing so in the first place.

statefanjosh

Jan 25, 2008
Believe the announcers said that he is only the second person to win at least 4 in a row 3 times in a career. The other was Sam Snead.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
14 birdies through a 29 hole stretch? Un-freaking-believeable. I thought when he got married and had a child, he would lose some of his edge...the exact opposite seems to be the case.

Every time he tees it up, we are watching history in the making.

dogmo

Feb 24, 2008
Huntsville???
I sure thought(knew) he was from Florence and grew up as a memeber at Turtle Point.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I understand I am on the minority side of this, but I just don't enjoy watching tournaments that Tiger is in anymore and he even effects ones he is not in. It is not his fault in that I still like him as a person.

First there is no competition and it is like watching the Spurs play a high school basketball team. Yeah the high school team could possibly win one out of 1000, but you are pretty sure of the outcome.

Second you have to listen constantly to everyone talk about his domination, even when he is not in that particular tournament.

Third all tournaments become secondary when he does not play.

I can only marvel so long in a shot he can hit that no one else can hit or him making critical putts when his opponent can't make that critical putt. I would think even his opponents are tired of answering the questions about how intimidated they are of Tiger.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
You may be right. I think you are in the minority. For right now, I think most people are in awe of what he does in the same way they were in awe of other great athletes dominating their game.

For me, I love seeing sports history, so every time out it's fun to me to watch him do things to his competition that have never been done before.

G

Goat Holder

You're tired of watching the best player in the world?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Aren't Bulldog fans tired of listening about LSU or Alabama or Florida talk and our insignificance in football. I know I hate listening all the time about the Yankees. I over the last few years am especially tired of New England.

So as I said, I know I am in the minority. I enjoy watching excellence. However, when it causes disrespect to others and treats sports as the story is already written, I do not enjoy it.

The underdog story is much more riveting. The Superbowl this past year was great just for that reason. The team that had no chance somehow perseveres.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Well, in a way, doesn't Tiger create that underdog story every week? Without Tiger, the competition would be better, and you'd see different guys step up and win each week, but his greatness creates a situation where Tiger not winning is a big story. Without the Patriots going 18-0, the Giants couldn't have had the underdog storyline. Without Tiger dominating, there would be no underdog storyline for guys who step up and win their first major with him in the field.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________I would think even his opponents are tired of answering the questions about how intimidated they are of Tiger._________________________________________________
They may be tired of it, but without a doubt some have come to accept it and decided to profit from it. Hell, Stewart Cink earned $800K yesterday as second place. Before Tiger came onto the tour I doubt first place would've taken home that much. He's put more money in all their pockets and they understand that.

<after edit>

I can understand how you feel, but yes.. you're in the vast minority. It's like Colin Cowherd preaches. America wants to watch the Yankees play the Red Sox and the Lakers play the Celitics for championships. Lots of people say they love parity, but when it comes to ratings, the chance to watch history brings the big numbers.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________I would think even his opponents are tired of answering the questions about how intimidated they are of Tiger. _________________________________________________
Then they would do something about it. There is no arguing that Tiger is talented, but he works harder at improving his game than anyone else in the golf world. He has twice broken down and completely changed/rebuilt his swing in order to improve his game. He is a fiend about practicing as well as working out. He is driven like no other current golfer to be the best in the world and the best in history. To me, that is what makes him so exciting to watch. He can be winning by five strokes with 3 holes to play, but if he messes up, you can see that he is pissed at himself. He is driven to be as close to perfect as possible. Also, unlike the Pats or the Yankees or any other team, he is solely responsible for the athlete he is. He isn't winning by spending the most money to acquire the best players a la the Yanks. He is dominating because he busts his *** for it.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________He isn't winning by spending the most money to acquire the best players a la the Yanks. He is dominating because he busts his *** for it._________________________________________________

Now that's a good point, which makes him more impressive. He plays the same courses with basically the same equipment. He gets no advantages other than those he creates for himself by working hard.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I disagree. I don't watch golf, so I haven't seen Tiger play in years, but it's similar to Roger Federer in tennis over the past 3 years. Until this year's Australian Open, he had been to the finals of the last 10 major tournaments, winning 8 of them. But during that time, I always loved watching him play because I was seeing somebody play tennis better than it's ever been played before. If I were a golf fan, I think I'd like to watch Tiger because he's playing golf better than its ever been played before.

One thing that Tiger, Federer, and Jordon (who has also been mentioned in this thread) have in common. Even though they all 3 have/had all the talent in the world and could have been great players anyway, they all worked harder than anybody else to make themselves even better. You have to admire that.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________One thing that Tiger, Federer, and Jordan (who has also been mentioned in this thread) have in common. Even though they all 3 have/had all the talent in the world and could have been great players anyway, they all worked harder than anybody else to make themselves even better. You have to admire that. _________________________________________________
That is what traditionally separates great players from legendary players. I would imagine that there are very very few if any legendary players in any sport that have gotten there off talent alone. However, history is littered with athletes who were very good who probably could have become legendary if they had the work ethic of a Tiger, Jordan, or Federer.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If it was up to him, MSU should just disband football. Why bother having any teams other than the historically big ones.

To a degree, he equates popularity with quality. He often says New York and LA are the best places to live because more people live there. He states as a fact that if more people desire it, it is better. Funny how he was in the opposite tact this morning talking about movies. Then the Masses are dumb. I lived in NY a long time and would not do it again.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Golf doesn't directly correlate to individual sports and you are right that is is not some sort of unleveled playing field thing.

There are guys who have tried to keep up and work hard to improve. They just don't have the same ability that Tiger has.

I just know I had the last few tournaments on and I watched it more when the tournament came down to the last few shots or went to extra holes than any that Tiger has been in lately. I did watch Aaron Baddely miss a winning putt on 18 and Tiger win it in 20. I did not pay much attention yesterday or in the last tournament he won by 10 strokes.

I know it is not a manufactured excellence like the Greg Norman days. Tiger is a great guy and gives you no reason to root against him. I just know I don't watch with the same interest as I used too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login