Time to chew some AZZ

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There are 4 sub .100 batters that I would not allow to swing for the next week during batting practice. All they would do is bunt until they could put down 10 bunts down first, 10 bunts down third for 3 batting practices in a row. You can't effin bunt then you take a massive swing on the next pitch? You are hitting .067 cut down your effin swing. Why is he swinging anyway? He can strike just as easily swinging. make him bunt. They are just jabbing at the ball.

Whatever moron put up that first NO PEPPER sign at a ball park should be drawn and quartered. They would all be playing pepper hitting each pitch to each different fielder.

EVERYONE is standing too g0dd@m close to the plate. Someone needs to tell them the ball on a 33 inch bat has to be about 17 to 22 inches from the top of your top hand. They all are jamming themselves on inside pitches. if they get the barrel on the ball it can only go foul. They have to have their hands inside the ball if they want to stand there and they don't do that.

Chance is not included in this rant and Jordan is only half included. But Jordan if you want to be an All American you have got to step up in those crucial situations.

I know modern baseball is Strikeouts and Homeruns, BUT you have to be able to hit HOMERUNS. Most of you can't! So stop striking out. Put the barrel of the bat on the effin'ball.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
There are 4 sub .100 batters that I would not allow to swing for the next week during batting practice. All they would do is bunt until they could put down 10 bunts down first, 10 bunts down third for 3 batting practices in a row. You can't effin bunt then you take a massive swing on the next pitch? You are hitting .067 cut down your effin swing. Why is he swinging anyway? He can strike just as easily swinging. make him bunt. They are just jabbing at the ball.

Whatever moron put up that first NO PEPPER sign at a ball park should be drawn and quartered. They would all be playing pepper hitting each pitch to each different fielder.

EVERYONE is standing too g0dd@m close to the plate. Someone needs to tell them the ball on a 33 inch bat has to be about 17 to 22 inches from the top of your top hand. They all are jamming themselves on inside pitches. if they get the barrel on the ball it can only go foul. They have to have their hands inside the ball if they want to stand there and they don't do that.

Chance is not included in this rant and Jordan is only half included. But Jordan if you want to be an All American you have got to step up in those crucial situations.

I know modern baseball is Strikeouts and Homeruns, BUT you have to be able to hit HOMERUNS. Most of you can't! So stop striking out. Put the barrel of the bat on the effin'ball

Bottom 5 in the lineup a combined 11 for 68 thru 4 games. That's a .162 BA......

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
You could walk into the dugout tomorrow and yank the clipboard out of peoples hands as far as I’m concerned. Seriously, just bust up into practice next week and preach.

I’ve been a part of church league softball teams that would beat this MSU team in 5 innings….and I wish I was joking.

no one at the plate has any rhythm. There’s no “on toes” approach…..there’s no “feet in the tires” with two strikes approach….we look completely incompetent at the dish…..we have guys throwing their hands at pitches and holding that terrible one handed back swing……

our two best hitter can’t adjust to inside pitches..Larry and Jordan….and Hines is completely lost on outside pitching, his book is rather short.

Been watching MSU since I attended camp back in 1998….this is the worst hitting team I’ve ever seen us have.

Not being overly dramatic, just painting the picture….our 98’ camp of Juniors and Seniors would have scored 7-8 runs on every pitcher we have faced so far.

Hard to watch

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

I know modern baseball is Strikeouts and Homeruns, BUT you have to be able to hit HOMERUNS. Most of you can't! So stop striking out. Put the barrel of the bat on the effin'ball.
👆👆👆

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Burn it to the 17-ing ground NOW!
This sht is beyond disgusting at this point.
Selmon - Nut up and say that this proud Mississippi State Baseball program is better than what we’ve endured the last 2 seasons and now it’s continuing into the 3rd and it’s totally unacceptable!!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For two years I’ve expected us to improve but the effort from this team has been pathetic so far. The pitching has been as good as anyone could have hoped for but the offense and defense has been high schoolish so far. It’s time to move on from Lemonis. If this continues and Selmon let’s this fester all year then he’s going to burn a lot of good will with the fan base.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
You could walk into the dugout tomorrow and yank the clipboard out of peoples hands as far as I’m concerned.

Been watching MSU since I attended camp back in 1998….

You whipper snappers never learn!*

Seriously, I thought you were older than that. But, I'm on board with 17 the clipboards & analytics.

That info isn't nonsense, but it's also not the end all be all, Baseball "bible" of success.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
When you watch Lemonis post game press conference and he says some BS sht, why does he always rub his nose or his eye?
That’s a sign of a bullshier knowing he’s bullshing !!
Fire this SB tonight and be done with it!

Reactions: L4MANDW

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lack of talent. I’ve said it and will continue too

we badly need our Ss and 3b back. And highfill back catching to open a DH spot.

Entire lineup is simply hitting hoping to be a draft pick and they aren’t talented enough to do so

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
They're being taught to stand on the plate and pull the ball. It's why they never swing at an inside strike and early on the breaker out. They can't get their barrels to it inside, and arent reading the outside pitch. They just guess FB. But those chests are sore from the beatings.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
When you watch Lemonis post game press conference and he says some BS sht, why does he always rub his nose or his eye?
That’s a sign of a bullshier knowing he’s bullshing !!
Fire this SB tonight and be done with it!
His press conferences are garbage, no emotion at all! smh He got more emotional, because he knew he was fixing to lose, at the plate ump on a legit call, than he’s gotten at a single post game press conference since winning in Omaha in ‘21. It’s really sad. No fire in this coach. He said this team was ready to get out there, gonna play w/a chip on their shoulders. Wonder when we gonna see that team because this team hasn’t showed up yet, going into 5 games in w/a .500 record. And all the baseball Dawgs say, it’s early in the season. That’s baseball. Well it is, but another loss to #GOPEE today and it’s gonna be late in this season at only 5 games in. Even the ones who love Lem gotta see the sun setting fast on this coach w/loses to AF & AP in a Lame Dawg Season. Maybe it’s wrong but TA said this team had more potential than that ‘21 Team. What’s that saying for Lem if he has a third losing season, in a row mind you, w/a better team than he had in ‘21?!. I hope the chip jumps up on this teams players shoulders soon!

Reactions: GloryDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
no one at the plate has any rhythm. There’s no “on toes” approach…..there’s no “feet in the tires” with two strikes approach….we look completely incompetent at the dish…..we have guys throwing their hands at pitches and holding that terrible one handed back swing……
There’s not those approaches because they don’t exist anymore in the game of baseball. Not at MSU…..not anywhere.

Analytics says with 2 strikes, you don’t change your approach at all. You still try to hit a home run, or take a walk. Can’t do that with feet in the tires and choking up to poke the ball somewhere if it’s over the plate. It’s made baseball a joke, and a horrible product in general. But run production and offensive efficiency has increased because of it pretty much across the board. Until they change the equipment or the rules (wider strike zone etc.), that’s going to continue to be the norm.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Every team that we have played since the NC has played us with confidence. Teams roll into the Dude running their mouths and puffing their chest. We just cower down and take it. We don't get angry, and we don't have a single player who we can count on when the game is on the line. We are mentally weak, and it's because our HC coach doesn't know how to build toughness.

I hate that college baseball has become a trash-talking, chest-pounding, bat-flipping 'roid circus, but that's what we have to deal with. Lemonis and JG can't seem to manufacture the type of energy and confidence needed to compete. We only see it from players who come into the program that way.

Reactions: josebrown

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The combination of Young and Powell (2 for 11) will soon be on the bench for Highfill.. and the DH spot will open

The freshman Cupp (1 for 13) will soon be back to platoon duty with Mershon coming back

The 4 year back up Chester (2 for 10) will soon be back to the bench as well

Problem is I dont know if we have guys who are truly better or not. We are counting on Hujsack who has never hit in his career and has started the year 2 for 13.

4 games into the season weve hit 3 HRs. Think Georgia has hit 13 by comparison.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Chance is the only hitter I've seen willing to step into an away pitch and drive it. The rest are still trying to pull outside breaking balls. It's frustrating.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Bruce, do you want to volunteer some of your time this spring to help those boys? They sure could use it! I'm sure most people on this board would be behind this idea.
Volunteer ? Hell I say we draft him. There is not a single doubt in my mind that Bruce could do a better job than Chizik errr Lemonis is doing now and going to do.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Meanwhile Lane Forsythe started the year at osu hitting 5 for 10 with a double, 2 runs scored and 3 rbi. lol

Reactions: josebrown

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
But we do this so it's all good
Championship Belt Knockout GIF by Beats by Dre

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I thought Lemonis should have been fired at the end of last season and don't have much confidence that he will get things turned around. That said, I'm going to try to be patient with this team, but this is definitely not the start that was needed. At least the pitchers are throwing strikes again.

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Jordan is only half included. But Jordan if you want to be an All American you have got to step up in those crucial situations.
The book has been written and republished on Jordan, throw him a steady diet of breaking balls and he won't hurt you.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There’s not those approaches because they don’t exist anymore in the game of baseball. Not at MSU…..not anywhere.

Analytics says with 2 strikes, you don’t change your approach at all. You still try to hit a home run, or take a walk. Can’t do that with feet in the tires and choking up to poke the ball somewhere if it’s over the plate. It’s made baseball a joke, and a horrible product in general. But run production and offensive efficiency has increased because of it pretty much across the board. Until they change the equipment or the rules (wider strike zone etc.), that’s going to continue to be the norm.
Those analytics are based on professional hitters. Generally anyone that makes it to the big leagues is capable of hitting a baseball 380 feet. Most can hit it further than that. It would be like taking PGA Tour pros as the basis for everyone playing golf. All play from the tips and hit Driver and 8 iron on a 500 yard hole.

There are still some MLB players that don't hit in that fashion. One of the latest is Luis Arraez who hit .354 for the Marlins last year. He is a classic hands inside the ball hitter. I was looking up his stats and the picture is what is on his page. I mean look at that position, His hands are way past his body and he still has not turned over his hands. That barrel had to be lagging as his hands pass his body and really waits to roll his hands. This guy can stand on the plate because that is his approach.

Arreaz.png

I looked up some ABs for Mike Trout last night to see where he stands. He is a modern hitter in that he stands with an open stance. Now his front foot is not as close to the plate as many of our hitters but his back foot is pretty close. However his front foot does not stride closer to the plate and actually move a little more away. This is a slow motion swing and you can definitely see how his hands stays close to his body and gets out in front of his body before he extends his arms. That is a hands inside the ball swing.

College and HS players are not of that caliber and need to understand their capabilities.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
But college and high school players are trying to reach the big leagues. If 95% of the big league hitters have an approach and it got them to the big leagues.. it would make sense they want to attempt to follow that model.

Saying all that.. i agree... i hate the mechanics of it and i hate what its done to the game. But its hard to blame a kid. Take mangum for example, great college hitter. Still hasnt reached the big leagues because his game doesnt translate there. Last minor league season he basically attempted to re-invent himself. Struck out 90 times (1 time every 4 or so at bats, he was 1 to about 11 or 12 here for perspective), had more extra base hits than he's ever had in the minors. Most would say it was his most successful season and it was still below average and didnt even get him a cup of coffee in the bigs.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
But college and high school players are trying to reach the big leagues. If 95% of the big league hitters have an approach and it got them to the big leagues.. it would make sense they want to attempt to follow that model.

Saying all that.. i agree... i hate the mechanics of it and i hate what its done to the game. But its hard to blame a kid. Take mangum for example, great college hitter. Still hasnt reached the big leagues because his game doesnt translate there. Last minor league season he basically attempted to re-invent himself. Struck out 90 times (1 time every 4 or so at bats, he was 1 to about 11 or 12 here for perspective), had more extra base hits than he's ever had in the minors. Most would say it was his most successful season and it was still below average and didnt even get him a cup of coffee in the bigs.
Yes the great conundrum. I played way to early. If I was born 20 years later I would have had a much better chance to play in the Big Leagues. My style is now desired. In my day is was all about speed and that basically disqualified me from the start. They made Mike Kelley go to the end of the bat and swing for the fences when he was in the Cubs organization. But playing our way at least gave us a chance. I still had to play with the hand god dealt me. A guy hitting .275 in college with 10 HRs and a bunch of strikeouts ain't gonna get you a shot unless they are 10 gigantic HRs. Bat .400 by spraying it all over the field, you get a chance.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yes the great conundrum. I played way to early. If I was born 20 years later I would have had a much better chance to play in the Big Leagues. My style is now desired. In my day is was all about speed and that basically disqualified me from the start. They made Mike Kelley go to the end of the bat and swing for the fences when he was in the Cubs organization. But playing our way at least gave us a chance. I still had to play with the hand god dealt me. A guy hitting .275 in college with 10 HRs and a bunch of strikeouts ain't gonna get you a shot unless they are 10 gigantic HRs. Bat .400 by spraying it all over the field, you get a chance.

Yep agree. And thats what these hitting coaches have to try to make these kids buy into. But when you are a 18-22 year old kid and you see the all-time SEC hits leader going undrafted for 3 seasons, then having to take pennies on the dollar when he is drafted, and hes still kicking it around in the minors years later.... and you see other guys that are boom or bust guys, signing early, gtting a nice bonus, and getting to the big leagues.. its awful difficult to convince them to spread out and choke up and hit that ground ball to second.

Why i keep saying we lack the talent. I dont doubt if we had some guys buy in for example, that we'd be better. But for what the game has turned into, i dont think we have the talent on the hitting side of things to hit the way kids want to hit now-a-days, jordan yes, hines yes.. not really anyone else that ive seen yet.. and i dont see us having the type staff that tells them its this way or the highway.

Thus... here we are

Aug 22, 2012

That might be what the stats say but Air Force beat us by their guy choking up and putting it in right field.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That might be what the stats say but Air Force beat us by their guy choking up and putting it in right field.
and air force has a bunch of kids that have zero desire and know they'll never play 1 out in the big leagues. Little easier to get them to buy into the team approach....

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Those analytics are based on professional hitters. Generally anyone that makes it to the big leagues is capable of hitting a baseball 380 feet. Most can hit it further than that. It would be like taking PGA Tour pros as the basis for everyone playing golf. All play from the tips and hit Driver and 8 iron on a 500 yard hole.

There are still some MLB players that don't hit in that fashion. One of the latest is Luis Arraez who hit .354 for the Marlins last year. He is a classic hands inside the ball hitter. I was looking up his stats and the picture is what is on his page. I mean look at that position, His hands are way past his body and he still has not turned over his hands. That barrel had to be lagging as his hands pass his body and really waits to roll his hands. This guy can stand on the plate because that is his approach.

View attachment 531326

I looked up some ABs for Mike Trout last night to see where he stands. He is a modern hitter in that he stands with an open stance. Now his front foot is not as close to the plate as many of our hitters but his back foot is pretty close. However his front foot does not stride closer to the plate and actually move a little more away. This is a slow motion swing and you can definitely see how his hands stays close to his body and gets out in front of his body before he extends his arms. That is a hands inside the ball swing.

College and HS players are not of that caliber and need to understand their capabilities.

I don’t disagree with anything above, but the results to the new approach are undeniable even at the college level. Check the runs per game and team ERA’s in the SEC in 2023, and compare to when they first started using the low-seam ball back in 2018 or 2019 or so. Runs per game are up across the board.

Still, it’s very frustrating to watch. This change isn’t being driven because players are better, it’s happening because the equipment and analytics have combined to take everything situational out of the game. The real problem is with college hitters, they don’t have practice time available in the week to work on multiple situational facets. So if you’re “all-in” on the analytics based approach of “drive the ball as far as you can every time”, that’s all you can really expect the player to do during games. Can’t make them play in a way that they don’t practice. And again, this isn’t an MSU problem. It’s a baseball problem in general. Drastic changes are needed to the rules, equipment, or both.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login