To all those complaining about watching strikes

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Brad Cumbest just admitted in the postgame interview that the strategy was to grind out at bats to get their starter out of the game, and then crush their pathetic bullpen for 4-5 innings. That strategy just won an SEC road series. I think some of you forget who the big swinging dick in the cracker factory is. He’s not in Oxford, never will be, and never has been.

Some of you need to learn history. Watching this team build an identity for the past decade has taught me a few things. The most important being: to have patience when watching an MSU team play from behind, because more often than not, this program has balls (unlike Ole Miss) and they find ways to win after facing adversity (unlike Ole Miss). This season has been tough on everybody but these guys will find their way into a regional somewhere (unlike Ole Miss) and you can bet we will be playing our best baseball. Somebody is going to be worried about us coming to town. Other MSU sports would have thrown in the towel, but M over S is not in the business of giving up.

I love you all,
GOJ

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It was obvious in the first inning to anyone that's ever played baseball

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
So NOT swinging at strike 3 is a strategy? How by NOT swinging at it does is put pressure on the pitcher? He doesn't throw anymore pitches while you are walking back to the dugout. If you get a hit he has to throw more pitches.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We probably lead the country in watched 3rd strikes. I can see why Forsythe may watch a 3rd strike, but our power hitters watching 3rd strikes is head scratching.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yes even on the called 3rd strike it makes sense to do it. Take a stats class

Snave

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know if putting out there that you're going to let the pitcher get two strikes on you before you swing is the right idea.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is Travel Ball Nonsense 101. Arguing with the umpire kind of stuff. Cohen changed that crap up and instilled more of an 'attacking' strategy when he got here, thank God. Polk started that bullcrap in the early 90s, but he wasn't always that way. It's just kind of a pretty boy way of playing.

I'm confident that this is just Lemonis' way of optimizing THIS particular team, who is pretty much at the mercy of the long ball and generally can't hit a starter's curve ball. They certainly like to argue with umpires.

We didn't do this **** in 2019 or last year. I truly hope it's not a pattern.

Unless the pitcher is just some true stud, you get tough, swing the bat, get some baserunners and put pressure on people and get them to 17 up. That's how winners do it.

Last edited:

Willowdawg

Dec 25, 2020
This is a damn good post. Dawgs win again!
It's kind of a high school strategy for sure or say travel ball, but the post did pump me up as well. These kids have to believe again after the injuries. Hell, I had to believe again for this year's team. We were down and out and yeah its not over, but based on history, our like I chances. And yes I know, I butchered that last sentence. Only made a 24 in the English on ACT.

Ace-Leroy

Aug 23, 2012
How does taking a third called strike benefit anyone but the pitcher? I get working counts and trying to get into a teams bullpen , but swinging at strike 3 betters your chance of getting higher pitch counts. a strikeout looking takes away any chance of a hit or foul ball which increases pitch counts.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
That's just one example of MSU baseball....

rebounding in the 2nd half of the season. I think we are about to do that again.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
So why spend any money on those expensive bats if you ain't gonna use them? Working a count is fine. Taking a third strike is a mortal sin. Take a Baseball class. I don't think anyone has ever won a game by taking a called third strike.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
So NOT swinging at strike 3 is a strategy? How by NOT swinging at it does is put pressure on the pitcher? He doesn't throw anymore pitches while you are walking back to the dugout. If you get a hit he has to throw more pitches.

I’m still trying to figure out where in my original post did I say it was a good strategy to watch the third strike.

My point was that the strategy in general was to work counts to make the guy throw more pitches. For most people who (still to this day) fail to understand the strategy, it makes it look like we are just resting the bat on our shoulders for no reason.
I’m not talking about you necessarily, it’s hard to argue with one of the best hitters in MSU history, but I never said that.
**** the fans, this team is fine.

Last edited:

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
How does taking a third called strike benefit anyone but the pitcher? I get working counts and trying to get into a teams bullpen , but swinging at strike 3 betters your chance of getting higher pitch counts. a strikeout looking takes away any chance of a hit or foul ball which increases pitch counts.
Some people think that pestering Mike Tyson on an airplane is a novel idea as well, but who said taking strike 3 was a good idea?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You implied it in the original since the major issue is looking at third strikes. But then you did say it.

QUOTE=onewoof;2036785]Yes even on the called 3rd strike it makes sense to do it. Take a stats class[/QUOTE]

You can have a plan, but then you have to execute it. Taking strike 3 I assure you is NOT part of the plan.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Who was making the decision on the take? I assure you the plan did not include informal internet gallop opinion polls. There's also the mental side of the game to consider. On both sides.

RJ fouled off many 3rd strikes because he can. A few others did as well. Those that aren't in the odds to do that, didn't.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Who was making the decision on the take? I assure you the plan did not include informal internet gallop opinion polls. There's also the mental side of the game to consider. On both sides.

RJ fouled off many 3rd strikes because he can. A few others did as well. Those that aren't in the odds to do that, didn't.

So, you're saying those that actually attempted to hit the ball, actually had a chance to run the pitch count up more.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Hahaha!!! Yep. All those teams that scored from 12 runs up to 25 runs in a game this weekend must have the same strategy!

Amazing. Simply amazing if true!

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020
if the strategy was to “crush” their relief pitchers it didn’t work in game 3 at all. We got 4 earned runs off their starter, 2 against their first reliever and we were shut out for 5 1/3 innings by the last three relievers. Then came Cumbest’s walkoff solo homer.
https://www.secsports.com/boxscore/baseball/401394942

Brad Cumbest just admitted in the postgame interview that the strategy was to grind out at bats to get their starter out of the game, and then crush their pathetic bullpen for 4-5 innings. That strategy just won an SEC road series. I think some of you forget who the big swinging dick in the cracker factory is. He’s not in Oxford, never will be, and never has been.

Some of you need to learn history. Watching this team build an identity for the past decade has taught me a few things. The most important being: to have patience when watching an MSU team play from behind, because more often than not, this program has balls (unlike Ole Miss) and they find ways to win after facing adversity (unlike Ole Miss). This season has been tough on everybody but these guys will find their way into a regional somewhere (unlike Ole Miss) and you can bet we will be playing our best baseball. Somebody is going to be worried about us coming to town. Other MSU sports would have thrown in the towel, but M over S is not in the business of giving up.

I love you all,
GOJ

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
You implied it in the original since the major issue is looking at third strikes. But then you did say it.

QUOTE=onewoof;2036785]Yes even on the called 3rd strike it makes sense to do it. Take a stats class

You can have a plan, but then you have to execute it. Taking strike 3 I assure you is NOT part of the plan.[/QUOTE]

Ghost of Jackie said that? Ghost of Jackie did not say that. Someone else did. Ghost of Jackie does not think looking at strike 3 is a great idea.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The plan in game two was also to make them use their best closer. Which they did. And if you didn't see him start to fizzle out late in the 9th in game three, you weren't looking close enough.

Answer this. What's better for a players psyche. Striking out swinging and missing or getting the backwards K because the coach said take this next pitch. Not every player can reliably foul off a pitch and get the pitch count up

Ace-Leroy

Aug 23, 2012
And if you didn't see him start to fizzle out late in the 9th in game three, you weren't looking close enough.

I guess I wasn't looking close enough to see him start to fizzle , You know with him striking out the side and all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login