To the “there’s no parity in college basketball” crowd

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Either San Diego State or Florida Atlantic is going to be playing for the national title.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yeah. I remember an unknown basketball program making the Final 4 in 1996. Even a Blind Squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Both FAU and SDSU are great programs this season. San Diego State has been a bit of a West Coast power for more than a decade now, although they never gone this far in the tournament. FAU is 35-3 this season. That’s a ridiculous record no matter what conference you play in.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm really enjoying the Texas versus Miami game. I imagine it's going to be for the title, and it's all said and done. I don't think we can say parity has hit college basketball as much as Covid has let teams become more experienced in some schools, which could keep the players together and jumping in the portal. Maybe it allowed smaller schools to catch up with the big boys for a season or two. When you get players on one team in their early 20s playing against another team that has 18/19-year-old, you can have some games like we did this year.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's amazing it's another game decided by free throws

free throws
Texas 11-15
Miami 28-32

Texas got 3 pts from the line in the second half
Miami got 26

ETA - I'm not gonna look, but I would love to know just how many points Miami got from the free throw line into the game instead of shooting a basket from the field.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Is there anyone that actually said there's no parity in college basketball?
There's no parity in college football.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
College officiating is trash
It's not every game, but I know I watched at least three or four games in the NCAA playoffs where the first half of whistles was nothing like the number of fouls they called the second half. If you would watch this game in particular, in the first half, we went for long periods of time with the game going up and down the court with no fouls being called. Players knock each other around each other with the officials, "letting them play." In the second half, especially down the stretch, all they do is blow the whistle and change the game's rhythm completely. I don't understand how you can go from no fouls in the first half to fouling players out in the second half. It's like they can't let the game go by without making sure everybody knows they were there and in charge.

And for the record, I can't stand any of the teams that played today and I really don't care who wins. Now I like the first weekend of the NCAA basketball playoffs.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wait until UConn loses before you declare this victory.

Point is you don’t have to be a historical power to make it to the big game, and being a historical power doesn’t guarantee you anything.

Baylor
Gonzaga
Butler
Memphis
Texas Tech
Virginia
Utah
Georgia Tech
FAU / SDSU

All will have made it to the NC game in the past 25 years, with two of them winning it.

Here’s the football list:

TCU - who got murdered in epic fashion.

Also, imagine a 12 team playoff in CFP, and NONE of these teams make it:

Georgia
Bama
Ohio State
Clemson
Michigan

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Point is you don’t have to be a historical power to make it to the big game, and being a historical power doesn’t guarantee you anything.

Baylor
Gonzaga
Butler
Memphis
Texas Tech
Virginia
Utah
Georgia Tech
FAU / SDSU

All with have made it to the NC game in the past 25 years, with two of them winning it.

Here’s the football list:

TCU - who got murdered in epic fashion.

Also, imagine a 12 team playoff in CFP, and NONE of these teams make it:

Georgia
Bama
Ohio State
Clemson
Michigan
Oregon? Auburn? Florida State? Oklahoma? LSU? And someone else will slip in with a bigger playoff.

And UConn is one of those blue bloods. Virginia was well past due for a basketball title.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Oregon? Auburn? Florida State? Oklahoma? LSU? And someone else will slip in with a bigger playoff.

And UConn is one of those blue bloods. Virginia was well past due for a basketball title.

You’re comparing Oregon / Auburn football history and resources to Butler / Georgia Tech / Florida Atlantic basketball?

And those other 3 teams are very much football bluebloods. LSU has 3 titles under 3 different coaches in the past 20 years and is easily a top 6 or 7 program at worst. OU not far behind them.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The final 4 are a 4 seed, two 5 seeds, and a 9 seed. Can you imagine any scenario in football where the equivalent to that makes it to the playoffs?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The final 4 are a 4 seed, two 5 seeds, and a 9 seed. Can you imagine any scenario in football where the equivalent to that makes it to the playoffs?
Give NIL/portal a chance to take hold on football, you will see less dominance. You can flip a team immediately in basketball.

But even still, we’ve never had a football playoff to compare against. Considering the equivalent in football is between a 12-24 team playoff (so let’s say 16), that’s like 3 2- seeds and a 4 seed in football. Basically 3 4th-8th ranked teams and about a 12th ranked cinderella

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Give NIL/portal a chance to take hold on football, you will see less dominance. You can flip a team immediately in basketball.

But even still, we’ve never had a football playoff to compare against. Considering the equivalent in football is between a 12-24 team playoff (so let’s say 16), that’s like 3 2- seeds and a 4 seed in football. Basically 3 4th-8th ranked teams and about a 12th ranked cinderella

Make this easy. If college football had a 64 team playoff just like basketball, I see zero chance that there would be a 4 seed, two 5s, and a 9 left standing. I understand they are different sports and the teams would be too banged up to play that many games. I’m saying if they did it, we would still end up with the usual suspects at the end. Hence, the lack of parity in football.

Of course it’s a lot more difficult to have a team play out of their minds in football and win. There are too many moving parts. In basketball, all you need is a couple of guys to get really hot and you can win. So there is inherently a bias toward parity and it’s what makes March Madness so fun to watch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Make this easy. If college football had a 64 team playoff just like basketball, I see zero chance that there would be a 4 seed, two 5s, and a 9 left standing. I understand they are different sports and the teams would be too banged up to play that many games. I’m saying if they did it, we would still end up with the usual suspects at the end. Hence, the lack of parity in football.

Of course it’s a lot more difficult to have a team play out of their minds in football and win. There are too many moving parts. In basketball, all you need is a couple of guys to get really hot and you can win. So there is inherently a bias toward parity and it’s what makes March Madness so fun to watch.
But that’s the original point, all the parity is usually all throughout the tournament. The actual championship is technically more elusive than football, throughout history.

I do believe that will change with NIL/portal. Moreso in basketball due to the lesser number of players. But the point is valid about the seeds, even if UConn is a blue blood. Although them being a 4 seed is like Alabama going 9-3 and getting in the tournament at a lower seed in football. They are still Alabama.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login