Today's Severe Threat

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Is going to be highly conditional. Due to this the SPC has shaved back the enhanced threat to basically north of Highway 82 in MS and Birmingham north in Alabama. They are still maintaining the 10% hatched tornado threat for this area. The big condition is a very strong capping inversion in the mid levels of the atmosphere. The models don't know how to handle it. The trusty HRRR is showing the cap breaking around 1:00 and tornadic supercells developing by 2:00 in eastern MS. It's absolutely worst case scenario. Some of the other models are showing the cap holding and storms holding off until the qlcs moves through tonight. It will have a straight line wind threat and a couple embedded tornadoes. Some of the other models are in between these two solitons. I wish I could say what is going to happen. I usually tend to lean towards the HRRR for day of events, but it's not infallible. Basically this afternoon if you look up at the sky and see cumulus clouds all of a sudden going from little cotton balls to exploding up in height then the cap has broken and get ready. Mjoelner and I will be meeting up around noon and probably staging somewhere around West Point.

As a reminder, if anything develops and i livestream, it will be available today only on our YouTube channel and not behind our Patreon paywall site.

Also, thanks so much again for your support in getting us subscribers. At last look we were at 598. 24 hours ago it was 215.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks for the update. Seeing a few breaks in the clouds here with the sun popping out. Not good.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Models still arguing on whether the cap breaks. The hrrr thinks it does and if it verifies then all hell is going to break loose this afternoon. If it doesn't then enjoy your sunny Saturday.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Models still arguing on whether the cap breaks. The hrrr thinks it does and if it verifies then all hell is going to break loose this afternoon. If it doesn't then enjoy your sunny Saturday.

Yeah it looks like either everything goes to hell this afternoon or you just have a really, really strong line of storms come through later.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Starting to get some shower development between Vicksburg and Yazoo city. Have to watch and see what those do. Are they just showers or future supercells.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Is there a “Weather for Dummies” page that explains HRRR, etc. and what y’all are looking at? I’m interested but all that is Greek to me.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Chase mode is activated. Currently sitting near Okolona watching radar. Live stream may be going up before too much longer.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Is there a “Weather for Dummies” page that explains HRRR, etc. and what y’all are looking at? I’m interested but all that is Greek to me.

View attachment 23470

I no weather guy but most of the stuff I have learned came from reading weather message boards. Here are links to two discussion threads on today's potential severe weather.

https://talkweather.com/threads/december-31-2021-january-1-2022-severe-threat.1876/page-10

https://southernwx.com/community/threads/new-years-severe-weather-event.1024/page-10

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Severe threat starting to wind down. Front is now pushing through the state. And before you ask, I have no idea why things busted. The cap broke so storms should have immediately gone severe but they just didn't. They tried. I'll at least give them that. Did see a couple wall clouds but that was it. But between not seeing any really good storms and my live stream laying a hot steaming corn filled deuce on the mattress, this was a pretty forgettable chase.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It was weird to watch storm after storm start up spinning a little but never tighten up and get a real tight rotation going to spawn a tornado. Wanna go to Northwest Alabama said he saw a lot of wall clouds but never saw a single funnel today

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
It was weird to watch storm after storm start up spinning a little but never tighten up and get a real tight rotation going to spawn a tornado. Wanna go to Northwest Alabama said he saw a lot of wall clouds but never saw a single funnel today
I’m glad that was the case.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm really, really, seriously holding back here when I say, sorry, your day wasn't exciting

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

I ended up following the storms into AL. One I was on for a while did eventually produce a tornado near Huntsville but by then it had gotten too far ahead for me to catch back up to it. There ended up being a couple parameters just a little off and that was the difference. But this region dodged a serious bullet today. The thinking had been if the cap broke things would go nuclear. It did but then the storms didn't.

And I know I come off saying I wanted there to be tornadoes and upset there really weren't any. Yes, the chaser in me wanted to see some. But I'm also glad nobody's lives were turned upside down. Nobody, chasers included, want to see tornadoes tearing through populated areas. It's the last thing we want to see. We want to see tornadoes but we want to only see them over unpopulated areas. That's why a lot of us carry first aid and first responder gear so when we are on damage scenes we can be with search and rescue.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login