Today's Severe Threat

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Not going to post any graphics at this time. Basically if you live anywhere in MS, eastern LA/AR, or western AL then prepare for a very bad day. The wording from the SPC for today is scary. It's given me a very bad feeling down in the pit of my stomach. I'll paste some of it below. Just realize once this event starts storms are going to go severe/tornadic very quickly. Storm speeds could be upwards of 70mph so wanting lead times could be short.

From the SPC:

A regional outbreak of severe thunderstorms is expected from the Lower Mississippi Valley into parts of the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys today, and over portions of the central Gulf Coast states later today into tonight. Widespread damaging winds with gusts over 75 mph and several strong tornadoes (EF2+) appear likely.

By midday, the combination of cooling aloft and strong low-level moisture advection will lead to destabilization near the cold front, with a rapid increase in storm coverage and intensity. Most CAMs suggest this will occur around 18Z, focused over northern LA, central and eastern AR, and southeast MO. The bulk of this activity is expected become severe as it quickly crosses the MS River into MS, western TN and KY.
Extreme shear is forecast, with effective SRH of 500-800 m2/s2 common as MLCAPE increases to 1000-1500 J/kg over LA/AR/MS and southwest TN. Supercells are likely, with strong tornadoes possible as well as particularly damaging outflow surges. As outflows merge, QLCS tornadoes may occur as well. Although CAPE values will be lower across the OH Valley, strong lift may sustain a severe-wind threat there through about 03Z.
...Parts of eastern LA...much of MS...AL...FL Panhandle... Southern portions of the front/dryline will move much slower compared to farther north, resulting in a longer duration of boundary-layer moistening. A line of convection should become evident by 21Z from southwest MS into parts of southern LA, moving across MS and into north-central AL by about 03Z. The subtle lift, combined with ample low-level moisture beneath an intense low-level jet, will favor tornadic supercells which may peak during the night. Effective SRH will remain high, averaging 400-500 m2/s2, with proper hodograph elongation in the mid and high levels. Given the long duration and slow eastward movement of this line of supercells, and the magnitude of the forecast hodographs, a few intense tornadoes could occur.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So, I'm north of Jackson. Am I reading it right that the threat for serious **** starts about 1:00 and lasts nearly 4 hours with lots of rain during and after?

And thanks for the updates.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
So, I'm north of Jackson. Am I reading it right that the threat for serious **** starts about 1:00 and lasts nearly 4 hours with lots of rain during and after?

And thanks for the updates.

I think your specific window is more 4:00-7:00. At 1:00 the storms should just be pushing across the river.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you'll indulge my weather reading ignorance, I simply ran the future radar hour by hour on Weather.com and a big red blob out in front of the storm front landed on my area at 1 and stayed about 4 hours.

Any idea what that blob signifies. Maybe it's just "get ready idiot!!"

Thanks again.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I think your specific window is more 4:00-7:00. At 1:00 the storms should just be pushing across the river.

Hugh…..I’m sorry to bug you, but I’m a little unclear of the timing language for NW MS….what is 3Z? I’m out of the office today and all three of my employees are female. I don’t want them there by themselves when this comes through this afternoon, so I’d like to just close the business at an appropriate time. What is your best guess? We are in Tate County. Thank you, friend.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Probably just follow whatever the local schools are doing if you want to be really safe

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Hugh…..I’m sorry to bug you, but I’m a little unclear of the timing language for NW MS….what is 3Z? I’m out of the office today and all three of my employees are female. I don’t want them there by themselves when this comes through this afternoon, so I’d like to just close the business at an appropriate time. What is your best guess? We are in Tate County. Thank you, friend.

They use Zulu time to avoid dealing with time zones. 3Z is 10:00pm central time.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This has the potential to be a widespread damage event because of the straight line winds. If you don’t have to be anywhere today, I’d stay put.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We are working in the field until 11:30 and picking everyone up so they can go home before it hits.

Aug 15, 2011
Could be wrong, but I'm getting February 2001 vibes from this. That storm...

had some of the strongest winds I've ever experienced. The amount of trees the storm took down in the Golden Triangle area was incredible.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If you'll indulge my weather reading ignorance, I simply ran the future radar hour by hour on Weather.com and a big red blob out in front of the storm front landed on my area at 1 and stayed about 4 hours.

Any idea what that blob signifies. Maybe it's just "get ready idiot!!"

Thanks again.

The models that the future radars run off of are having a hard time determining if there will be any discrete storms out ahead of the main line. The wind directions are not conducive for them, but they aren't completely eliminating them. I will say this, any discrete cell that forms out ahead of the main line that can sustain itself has a strong potential to produce a violent tornado. The wind shear parameters today are obscene. They mirror another major outbreak that shall not be named. We just don't have other parameters in place that match that unnamed event. If we got this same storm in late April when spring was fully established...

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Large, damaging tornado hit Springdale, Ark, this morning. That could be a very ominous harbinger of things to come.

Aug 15, 2011
Louisiana now has 8 active tornado warnings. This storm system is definitely

Large, damaging tornado hit Springdale, Ark, this morning. That could be a very ominous harbinger of things to come.

ramping up. Seems later this afternoon is going to get scary.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
We've talked about it for several days and now it's started. LA is just the appetizer for the main event. Take any warnings very seriously. I'm on my way to Kosciusko to stage so my time on here probably about to become vey limited. If/when I get on storms I will fire up the livestream on our Patreon site of any are interested.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We've talked about it for several days and now it's started. LA is just the appetizer for the main event. Take any warnings very seriously. I'm on my way to Kosciusko to stage so my time on here probably about to become vey limited. If/when I get on storms I will fire up the livestream on our Patreon site of any are interested.

Stay safe out there. Best I can tell, you used to want to be in a Dodge pickup but Chevy has caught up to them.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
We still have a psycho out there running the high speed planter. Too much wind to spray behind it for the past two hours.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I just pissed on the side of the road. Wind was behind me and I probably broke some type of distance record. Sorry to the lady in the Lexus SUV, but I wasn't stopping a super stream like that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Looks like the wind blew all the energy away. We had big winds in Jacktown all day but the actual line has been nothing.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
James Spann reported at 5 PM in Alabama

"There are now 40 active wildfires across Alabama. Fire departments responding to a wildfire in the Logan Community of Cullman County have reported 30 ft. flame lengths."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login