Tolu COVID year

HailStateTate

Oct 30, 2020
I know Tolu was celebrated last night for Senior night, and they asked him about missing Starkville in the post game show, but I’m pretty sure Tolu should still have another year of eligibility.

2018-2019 WKU
2019-2020 Transfer Redshirt
2020-2021 COVID Season

2021-2022 MSU
2022-2023 MSU

Maybe he’s gonna try to go pro but I think the BI could have something to say about that. Would be a huge get for year two of the Dentist

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
He does have another year if he wants it. I know some people are holding out hope that he will come back, but I have to assume overseas ball pays better than the BI.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He does have another year if he wants it. I know some people are holding out hope that he will come back, but I have to assume overseas ball pays better than the BI.
Good overseas leagues pay better than we will be able to pay him, but that's not appealing to a lot of players. I think he's probably going to have good enough options that he can't stick around for $100 or $150k to play another year at MSU, but he may decide that at 23 he can enjoy one more year of college ball before heading overseas. Plus, he will probably still keep developing under Jans, so that may make it easier to stay if he wants to.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I know Tolu was celebrated last night for Senior night, and they asked him about missing Starkville in the post game show, but I’m pretty sure Tolu should still have another year of eligibility.

2018-2019 WKU
2019-2020 Transfer Redshirt
2020-2021 COVID Season

2021-2022 MSU
2022-2023 MSU

Maybe he’s gonna try to go pro but I think the BI could have something to say about that. Would be a huge get for year two of the Dentist
He was waving to the crowd late in the game last night like that was it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Good overseas leagues pay better than we will be able to pay him, but that's not appealing to a lot of players. I think he's probably going to have good enough options that he can't stick around for $100 or $150k to play another year at MSU, but he may decide that at 23 he can enjoy one more year of college ball before heading overseas. Plus, he will probably still keep developing under Jans, so that may make it easier to stay if he wants to.
Still blows my mind that college players are making 6 figures.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Still blows my mind that college players are making 6 figures.
Meanwhile, GLeague players make $40k. <- many makre more, but they are on 2-way contracts or a couple other options.

Its goofy that there are 37 players in the NBA making over $30MM per year, but the GLeague pays $40k per player. Stop tying GLeague pay to any sort of revenues the league may pull in. If they want a league that is really developing a pipeline for teams so the next needle in a haystack(or needlestack) can be found, up the salary.
Cut $1MM off the salary of each team's highest salaried player and disperse that amongst the GLeague players. You will get a higher overall level of talent after a couple years. And no top earner will have missed that money- its monopoly money at that point.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Meanwhile, GLeague players make $40k. <- many makre more, but they are on 2-way contracts or a couple other options.

Its goofy that there are 37 players in the NBA making over $30MM per year, but the GLeague pays $40k per player. Stop tying GLeague pay to any sort of revenues the league may pull in. If they want a league that is really developing a pipeline for teams so the next needle in a haystack(or needlestack) can be found, up the salary.
Cut $1MM off the salary of each team's highest salaried player and disperse that amongst the GLeague players. You will get a higher overall level of talent after a couple years. And no top earner will have missed that money- its monopoly money at that point.
So kind of like a redistribution of wealth?
Where have I heard that before?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The world is lucky to have a talent like @mstateglfr who can arbitrarily peg the market value for anyone’s services

They upped salaries a couple times now in recent years.
Its a message board- ideas are submitted for discussion, even if they wont happen. You should try it sometime.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So kind of like a redistribution of wealth?
Where have I heard that before?
Does it though? You are criticizing me for discussing moving money around in a 17ing league where salary caps exist and salary rules are so confusing that even teams mess up sometimes when projecting what they will/wont have available in coming years. Its a league where the team that wins the prior year has to pick last and the worst teams get to pick first.

The entire system is based on that which you dislike. And the NFL is the same. A couple of the most successful leagues the world has ever known are set up for wealth to purposely be redistributed.

Hate to pull the curtain back, but have you seen the $ we get from the SEC because ESPN wants Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF so much?

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Does it though? You are criticizing me for discussing moving money around in a 17ing league where salary caps exist and salary rules are so confusing that even teams mess up sometimes when projecting what they will/wont have available in coming years. Its a league where the team that wins the prior year has to pick last and the worst teams get to pick first.

The entire system is based on that which you dislike. And the NFL is the same. A couple of the most successful leagues the world has ever known are set up for wealth to purposely be redistributed.

Hate to pull the curtain back, but have you seen the $ we get from the SEC because ESPN wants Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF so much?
Settle down bruh. You’re extra sensitive today.
Since you’re the master of semantics, show me where I criticized it or even stated my displeasure? I did not. Just needling you cause you’re so predictable.
R-E-L-A-X

Reactions: DerHntr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Why do you think they need to be developing a pipeline? They have college basketball and pro teams around the world to poach from. The GLeague let's them have a place where they can have some control over development and keep a prospect under contract while developing him. I seriously doubt players with a legit shot at the NBA are quitting basketball rather than playing in the G League for $40k and rather than going over sees for 6 figures or more. As long as that's not happening, the current pay is satisfying their purposes.

Now if they want to make the G-League a profitable minor league, they may need to up salaries to keep people here rather than over seas. But I suspect what will drive viewership is having more two-way players, not keeping people in the G-League that could also make it over seas.

Reactions: mstateglfr
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login