Tolu puts his name in the draft…

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't blame him for sticking his toe in the water but I just have a feeling he'll be back once he learns of all other options. I think he's a great smart young man and all will work out in the end. Now, having said that, watch him go in the 2nd round. Do we still have some Bryan Food Pull? Maybe some Juicy Jumbos Via NIL?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He won't get drafted to the NBA but that overseas league stuff pays pretty well and he can experience different cultures.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Next year he will either play for the Dawgs or end up playing in Turkey.
Unfortunately for him, his game doesn’t translate to the NBA.
Sure, but declaring means the NBA gives him a look and analysis of where he stands as well as why.
It's good info.

Turkey, Greece, Israel, Spain, France, Australia, and more all have strong competition. Many have teams ther play in the domestic league and one of the international levels of competition.

I hope his footwork, effort, and rebounding help him land on a team that plays to his strengths.
He can't shoot well, but contrary to the current narrative very few post players actually drift out and score from deep. There is room for him to make money.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I think he has a bright future wherever …he would have a monster final year with us …compared to the alternatives…we’ve seen how this has played out the last 20 years at MSU….although, this is a fifth year deal.

Would enjoy watching but not mad if he goes, he seems like a great dude, chemistry guy. Kinda leads with his hat brim down

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He isn't big enough to be a true NBA center and he can't shoot well enough to play PF. Just my opinion. I guess we will see soon enough

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
My comment about him not being big enough is incorrect. Oddly enough the Rockets starting center is only 6'6". That seems crazy to me.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Next year he will either play for the Dawgs or end up playing in Turkey.
Unfortunately for him, his game doesn’t translate to the NBA.
He could translate to the NBA, but it will have to be as a true center. Like Stephen Adams of the Grizzlies or like Pau Gasol of the Lakers used to be. His biggest downside to me is his FT shooting. He HAS to get that FT % up or he'll become a liability like Shaq was. I think he's worth a 2nd round pick, and if that doesn't happen, then Europe would be a good option. Just don't play for any teams from Russia or China. Would hate to see him get detained like Griner of the WNBA did not so long ago.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
He could translate to the NBA, but it will have to be as a true center. Like Stephen Adams of the Grizzlies or like Pau Gasol of the Lakers used to be. His biggest downside to me is his FT shooting. He HAS to get that FT % up or he'll become a liability like Shaq was. I think he's worth a 2nd round pick, and if that doesn't happen, then Europe would be a good option. Just don't play for any teams from Russia or China. Would hate to see him get detained like Griner of the WNBA did not so long ago.
I would think Tolu is smart enough to not smuggle drugs into a foreign country.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He isn't big enough to be a true NBA center and he can't shoot well enough to play PF. Just my opinion. I guess we will see soon enough
He is 6'11 and 245#. On paper, how is that not big enough?

I think he absolutely has the size to be a center in the NBA...the issue is his skill level and style of play. He has excellent footwork in the paint, but he is 90% angles and 10% power. That mix wont get you time in the NBA. Of course there are plenty of centers that arent offensive forces. They screen, defend, and board. He can do those things pretty well.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
6'11" 245 seems like a center in any league.

It is. Per this website, the average NBA true center is 6' 11" 251.3 lbs. Size wise he's the prototype.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I just wish him well whatever happens. He was like a one man team for us at times this year and I appreciate that.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If
He is 6'11 and 245#. On paper, how is that not big enough?

I think he absolutely has the size to be a center in the NBA...the issue is his skill level and style of play. He has excellent footwork in the paint, but he is 90% angles and 10% power. That mix wont get you time in the NBA. Of course there are plenty of centers that arent offensive forces. They screen, defend, and board. He can do those things pretty well.
If you look up about 4 posts above your post you will see my correction.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login