Tolu Smith at the line

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

So far this season- 20-24 for 83.3% from the line.

That sort of improvement late in a college career just doesnt happen often. Its only been 3 games, but he is a totally different player from the line than he was in past seasons.
And whats really cool is that he is getting to the line more frequently per game this season than he has in any prior season- so taking more FTs and making a higher % too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

That sort of improvement late in a college career just doesnt happen often. Its only been 3 games, but he is a totally different player from the line than he was in past seasons.
And whats really cool is that he is getting to the line more frequently per game this season than he has in any prior season- so taking more FTs and making a higher % too.
Normally I would bet anything on it being a blip, but surely he had plenty of time rehabbing where he couldn’t do much other than shoot free throws. Maybe he figured something out.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Normally I would bet anything on it being a blip, but surely he had plenty of time rehabbing where he couldn’t do much other than shoot free throws. Maybe he figured something out.

That was my thinking. That was something he could have worked on while waiting for his body to rehab.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, its only 3 games so he could regress to the mean in these last 2 months of regular season games. But he looks comfortable and confident at the line in each game and he was solid even during the UT game where he was visibly tired and under pressure.
Really hope he worked thru whatever the issue(s) have been and he can feel this success for the rest of the season.

Reactions: trob115

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Yeah, its only 3 games so he could regress to the mean in these last 2 months of regular season games. But he looks comfortable and confident at the line in each game and he was solid even during the UT game where he was visibly tired and under pressure.
Really hope he worked thru whatever the issue(s) have been and he can feel this success for the rest of the season.
And the ones he missed last night were in line, but just short.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

Glad you posted this. I hadn’t looked up stats but I thought he had made tremendous improvement. His technique looks very different this year. The shot has arch. In years past it looked like he was just shoving the ball towards the rim.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Yes, felt like the ones he missed short last night were due to fatigue. It's promising as much as we are going to count on him and how much he'll get fouled.

Reactions: alumnidawg

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Good to see, but still dealing with a reasonably small sample size.

He’s a really skilled big guy though. We can ride Hubbard & Tolu’s inside out game along way in March.

A little worried about Hubbard’s legs late in the season.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

his misses were short last night. I’d say fatigue was a major factor in that.

Reactions: alumnidawg

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
The biggest thing that can be a difference maker on top of his FT% improvement will be if he can get a lot of those shots to fall that he is getting fouled on to get the 3 point play. That has always been one thing that didnt seem to happen and with his previously poor FT shooting, those potential 3 point plays were coming away with 0-1....
If some of those fall and his FT% stays up, it fundamentally changes our games

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That was my thinking. That was something he could have worked on while waiting for his body to rehab.

I remember something similar happening with Craig Sword one year. Dude was a good slasher but couldn’t make a jump shot. He got hurt one offseason (back injury maybe?) and could only practice shooting jumpers, and low and behold he was a much better player when he got back to full strength.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
The biggest thing that can be a difference maker on top of his FT% improvement will be if he can get a lot of those shots to fall that he is getting fouled on to get the 3 point play. That has always been one thing that didnt seem to happen and with his previously poor FT shooting, those potential 3 point plays were coming away with 0-1....
If some of those fall and his FT% stays up, it fundamentally changes our games
And possibly his rookie $$$ numbers next year

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I've always said there really is no excuse to shoot free throws poorly unless you have broken wrists. Practice and coaching is all it takes. Most players don't practice enough IMO.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

If he shot 83.3% from the line last year he would have averaged maybe 4-6 pts a game better, which would have got him drafted.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
All I know is that guy hit several really good shots last night. And that last one was not only clutch, he was 17n monster!
And he got that 'and one.'

Reactions: eckie1

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
FR- 57.1% from the line
SO- 58.9% from the line
JR- 65% from the line
SR- 58.8% from the line

Just in time for the Bammer game, whose strategy last season was to hack him to death and make him miss FTs. Would be poetic to see him turn that about this time.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If he shot 83.3% from the line last year he would have averaged maybe 4-6 pts a game better, which would have got him drafted.
Zach Edey averaged north of 22 ppg and shot about 75% from the line in winning national POY last year.....and came back to school. The NBA is just not a game for big men with their skill sets. I hope Tolu gets a shot at it though and finds his way onto a roster.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login