Tolu: The culture is changing

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not one to bag on others to provide NIL for MSU. But for basketball, we have a group of very committed boosters. Now that we have a coach, I would not be surprised for them to stop at no limits to make sure we stay relevant.

A wise man once said, "We may not have a great basketball culture at MSU, but we damn sure don't have an absence of one, either". That's very true. We have a higher ceiling than many other SEC programs.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
i know it’s been discussed before, but does he have another year of eligibility or not? Would LOVE to see him at The Hump for one more season.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
i know it’s been discussed before, but does he have another year of eligibility or not? Would LOVE to see him at The Hump for one more season.
I’m going to say he does given that the guys said on T&L that they hoped he would come back despite having participated in senior day.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I'm not one to bag on others to provide NIL for MSU. But for basketball, we have a group of very committed boosters. Now that we have a coach, I would not be surprised for them to stop at no limits to make sure we stay relevant.

A wise man once said, "We may not have a great basketball culture at MSU, but we damn sure don't have an absence of one, either". That's very true. We have a higher ceiling than many other SEC programs.
Losing the play in is not relevant. We now have a claim to being the 66th best team in the nation.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

Another truly wise man once said: "Never look up into the rear of an elephant."

Reactions: onewoof

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
"The culture is changing. It’s changing at Mississippi State, in a good way.”

Thanks Howland 🙄
Sorry, but what's the deal with the constant bashing of Howland across multiple threads as a means to say we all really like Jans?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sorry, but what's the deal with the constant bashing of Howland across multiple threads as a means to say we all really like Jans?
The Howland years were disappointing to say the least. I appreciate that he brought our program back to respectability, but much like Stans's later teams, his teams consistently underperformed (but without all the off court drama).

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
The Howland years were disappointing to say the least. I appreciate that he brought our program back to respectability, but much like Stans's later teams, his teams consistently underperformed (but without all the off court drama).
I actually sent him a txt telling him I enjoyed reading his article about what to look for in the Pitt game. Within a minute… he replied and said good luck and he really loved Starkville. Ben is a really nice guy… just couldn’t turn make it all work. The Covid year… that team might have made some noise because Perry was finally playing down low instead of jacking 3’s all game long. Woodard would have kicked *** in the tournament.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Thanks Howland 🙄
Ben Howland seemed like a very nice person but it became pretty obvious his best days were LONG behind him before he set foot on campus. The best thing I could say about him is he did lift us up out of the Rick Ray era but he just could never get us beyond also-ran status. He should have been canned two years before he was.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Thanks Howland 🙄
Not trying to start some Howland bashing because I genuinely do appreciate what he did here. I.e. pulling us out of the gutter

However, I can’t think of one player during his tenure aside from Q where I thought, man Howland is getting all there is to get out of that kid. Jans, on the other hand, seemed like he was getting 120% out of the entire roster with maybe one exception

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
I get Howland falling short when we compare him to Jans after the first year Jans just had, but I’d like to say two things.
Howland took a (at that time), schit job with a schit roster and quickly made us respectable again.
We weren’t the only school courting Jans, if we were still in the gutter he may have chosen a better option.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think you have to view the Howland era like two acts in a play:

Howland from 2016 - 2019: slow build back to respectability and an NCAAT berth. Thought it could’ve happened a year sooner, but at least it did happen. Still, the abrupt end with the Liberty loss was a big disappointment.

Howland from 2020 - 2022: Wasted really good talents like Perry, Woodard, Stewart, Molinar, Brooks, and Tolu just to be stuck at an NIT level. People defend the 2020 team because they finished 4th in the SEC, but before COVID hit, that team was not going to the NCAA Tourney without winning games in the SEC Tourney, and Howland never showed any reason to trust him in those kind of games.

Howland did dig us out of the Ray era… But Howland’s peak was much lower than most thought it should’ve been, and then he couldn’t even live up to that in his last three years.

Act I was mostly a positive, Act II fell short of expectations. And the fact that Howland never got the fans to buy in to his program is a black mark as well.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I think you have to view the Howland era like two acts in a play:

Howland from 2016 - 2019: slow build back to respectability and an NCAAT berth. Thought it could’ve happened a year sooner, but at least it did happen. Still, the abrupt end with the Liberty loss was a big disappointment.

Howland from 2020 - 2022: Wasted really good talents like Perry, Woodard, Stewart, Molinar, Brooks, and Tolu just to be stuck at an NIT level. People defend the 2020 team because they finished 4th in the SEC, but before COVID hit, that team was not going to the NCAA Tourney without winning games in the SEC Tourney, and Howland never showed any reason to trust him in those kind of games.

Howland did dig us out of the Ray era… But Howland’s peak was much lower than most thought it should’ve been, and then he couldn’t even live up to that in his last three years.

Act I was mostly a positive, Act II fell short of expectations. And the fact that Howland never got the fans to buy in to his program is a black mark as well.
Fan buy in is on Howland for sure but he received no help from people in the Bryan Building treating MBB like the fourth most important sport on campus

Reactions: onewoof

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
And the fact that Howland never got the fans to buy in to his program is a black mark as well.
This was a big piece of it and I think most of the lack of buy-in was due to the fans (including me) sensing that the team never seemed committed to playing hard.

I don't have a problem with Howland, or the players in that era, but there was way too much inconsistency to get people excited. They'd play lights out one game, then stink up the gym the next. And there was never any rhyme or reason to it.

This first year with Jans has shown that win or lose, they will bust their asses. I can at least respect effort, even if I don't like the outcome.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
This was a big piece of it and I think most of the lack of buy-in was due to the fans (including me) sensing that the team never seemed committed to playing hard.

I don't have a problem with Howland, or the players in that era, but there was way too much inconsistency to get people excited. They'd play lights out one game, then stink up the gym the next. And there was never any rhyme or reason to it.

This first year with Jans has shown that win or lose, they will bust their asses. I can at least respect effort, even if I don't like the outcome.
Howland's teams were chronic underachievers and that turns fans off. On the other hand, Jan's first team overachieved and fans really eat that up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login