Tonight will be a good guage to see how Tom Izzo and Michigan State fare vs. Memphis...

squirldawg

Feb 25, 2008
Tonight will be a good guage to see how Tom Izzo and Michigan State fare vs. Memphis...

Tom Izzo is one of the best coaches in the nation. It will be interesting to see how Michigan State does vs. Memphis.</p>

bizZaX

Mar 22, 2008

IMO.. Michigan St can win this game with aggressive play like we did. We went to a zone defense and stayed in it. Obviously Izzo saw that and has most likely implemented that into his defensive scheme for tonight. As for Memphis, all I can say is Derrick Rose had about as hot of a hand against us down the stretch as you can have, he needs to put up those numbers the whole game , and most importantly, Memphis MUST stay out of foul trouble not only because it will foul them out, but because if they get in the bonus, they cant shoot free throws worth ****.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007

is about as big a mismatch in coaching as is humanly possible.

If Izzo had the talent that Calipari has, he would have MSU in the UNC-Duke-Kansas elite group every single year.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008

MSUCostanza said:
is about as big a mismatch in coaching as is humanly possible.

If Izzo had the talent that Calipari has, he would have MSU in the UNC-Duke-Kansas elite group every single year.

</p>Isn't the ability to recruit talent a big part of a coach's success? I know it is in Stansbury's case.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007

I was strictly talking about bench coaching. No one has ever confused Calipari with John Wooden. Obviously, Cal is probably the premier recruiter, if not among the top 2-3, in the country. Izzo is no slouch, but look at the guys on the court right now. Memphis has twice the talent Michigan State does. Izzo makes up for not having the elite players by being maybe the country's best bench coach.

Right now, raw athletes are spanking the well-coached guys. Which tells you something about our game and how we were able to challenge Memphis until the final buzzer.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005

...how can you say this?

Right now, raw athletes are spanking the well-coached guys. Which tells you something about our game and how we were able to challenge Memphis until the final buzzer.
Don't get your panites in a bunch. This is a serious question. How can anyone watch this game tonight and say that they aren't anything but a bunch of raw athletes? They are running a crisp, disciplined offense. They are working their asses off on the defensive end. Meanwhile, the well-coached guys are struggling to get a shot off.

I mean, I'm the first to admit that talent trumps X's and O's, but to discount Calipari as a bench coach is completely ridiculous. I bet Tom Izzo will tell you real quick how good Calipari is right now.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007

I see Memphis out-athleteing MSU on the offensive end. Yes, they are playing great defense, I will grant you that. I see Memphis on offense taking advantage of MSU being slow to get back on defense - they are getting a ton of shots off breaks and individual plays by CDR and Rose. Just look at those first two plays of this half. Rose just takes the ball makes a move and shoots and scores. how is that a great offensive set? Then MSU bricks another 3, Memphis breaks, and gets an uncontested layup. That's what I've seen the entire first half.

Now, having said what you said, doesn't that say something for how Stansbury approached our matchup with them and the fact that we took them to the wire, or are you going to make an excuse for Memphis and say they had a bad day or something?

oem

Feb 23, 2008

MSUCostanza said:
I see Memphis out-athleteing MSU on the offensive end. Yes, they are playing great defense, I will grant you that. I see Memphis on offense taking advantage of MSU being slow to get back on defense - they are getting a ton of shots off breaks and individual plays by CDR and Rose. Just look at those first two plays of this half. Rose just takes the ball makes a move and shoots and scores. how is that a great offensive set? Then MSU bricks another 3, Memphis breaks, and gets an uncontested layup. That's what I've seen the entire first half.

Now, having said what you said, doesn't that say something for how Stansbury approached our matchup with them and the fact that we took them to the wire, or are you going to make an excuse for Memphis and say they had a bad day or something?

</p>I know you weren't responding to me, but I would say last Sunday's game was a helluva basketball game. Two good coaches. Two good teams that were well prepared. The difference - one team had a few more athletes than the other.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007

I'm curious if Drebin will figure out a way to excuse his boy Calipari instead of giving credit to Stansbury.

oem

Feb 23, 2008

Because it is clear you think Calipari sucks. I don't.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005

I gave Stansbury credit for the gameplan against Memphis. You have a very selective memory.

But since you want to play this game, here's a scenario for you. You and others crow about evidence of Stans being a great coach is seven seasons of 20 wins, 3 SEC west championships, and 1 outright SEC title. Well, why isn't Calipari a good coach with 20 win seasons every year he's been at Memphis, three conference titles, three consecutive 30 win seasons, and three consecutive elite eights?

The fact is that you hate Calipari (you've admitted as much) and you're letting that cloud any reasonable judgement of his performance. And the only reply you can come up with is that I hate Stansbury, which is no less ******** today than it was two years ago when you started spouting it.

As to your comment earlier about Memphis not really playing great offense as much as just out-athleting MSU, you clearly don't know what you're watching. Rose and Douglas-Roberts drives are part of their offense and they do an excellent job of rotating the ball to clear out for their playmakers. I had an opportunity to attend a clinic that he put on last year and I'm telling you, that offense is very structured.</p>

cb6228

Aug 30, 2006

Memphis is one of THE most disciplined teams in college bball when it comes to defense, and even offensive execution. Calipari doesn't put up with **** when it comes to on court execution b/c he has the horses to come in and back it up. Each and every player knows this and plays to his expectations. True, he can out athlete anyone, but it is the discipline he imposes that affords that ability.

Cal is a better all around coach than Izzo. Recruiting is 2/3rds of the battle, instilling the fear of failure is the other 1/3rd.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007

cb6228 said:
Cal is a better all around coach than Izzo. Recruiting is 2/3rds of the battle, instilling the fear of failure is the other 1/3rd.

Let's not get carried away. Izzo has a national championship and went to three straight Final Fours, the last one with a completely different team than the first two. Izzo is an elite coach. Calipari is on his way to becoming one as well, however.</p>

oem

Feb 23, 2008

Frances Drebin said:
I gave Stansbury credit for the gameplan against Memphis. You have a very selective memory.

But since you want to play this game, here's a scenario for you. You and others crow about evidence of Stans being a great coach is seven seasons of 20 wins, 3 SEC west championships, and 1 outright SEC title. Well, why isn't Calipari a good coach with 20 win seasons every year he's been at Memphis, three conference titles, three consecutive 30 win seasons, and three consecutive elite eights?

The fact is that you hate Calipari (you've admitted as much) and you're letting that cloud any reasonable judgement of his performance. And the only reply you can come up with is that I hate Stansbury, which is no less ******** today than it was two years ago when you started spouting it.

As to your comment earlier about Memphis not really playing great offense as much as just out-athleting MSU, you clearly don't know what you're watching. Rose and Douglas-Roberts drives are part of their offense and they do an excellent job of rotating the ball to clear out for their playmakers. I had an opportunity to attend a clinic that he put on last year and I'm telling you, that offense is very structured.</p>

</p>You don't have to attend a clinic at the Sheraton to appreciate what Memphis does on offense. Calipari puts it best when he calls it Princeton's offense of steroids.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login