Top golf in Memphis having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
When I first heard about Top Golf coming to Memphis, I assumed that by "Memphis", they meant one of the suburbs. I was really surprised to find out that it would be going in the middle of an area that has already seen a hundred businesses come and go over the last 30 years, and I immediately thought that this place had no chance. The city must have basically given the land away for free along with a ton of tax breaks because there is absolutely no chance that Top Golf found this spot and thought... yep, this is exactly where it needs to go

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
When I first heard about Top Golf coming to Memphis, I assumed that by "Memphis", they meant one of the suburbs. I was really surprised to find out that it would be going in the middle of an area that has already seen a hundred businesses come and go over the last 30 years, and I immediately thought that this place had no chance. The city must have basically given the land away for free along with a ton of tax breaks because there is absolutely no chance that Top Golf found this spot and thought... yep, this is exactly where it needs to go
It's on the southern edge of Germantown but they should have put it in Germantown. GPD wouldn't put up with this mess.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Those Twitter comments.
It’s the young AA men and the culture that they have created. We have an employee that’s originally from around Sardis that said he had to get away from there because of how “bad” it had gotten. Young guys just walking up to someone’s house that they have a beef with and just start shooting. He says there’s been so many people shot and killed down there but that it never gets on the news.

His son goes to school down there at North Panola HS and has started a little business on the side to make a little money. A couple of weeks ago he said he didn’t want to go to school and had skipped school a couple of days so his dad went to go have a talk with him to see what was up. He had made the comment to one of his buddies about how much money he had made with his side job and the word got out so now there was a group of guys that said they were going to jump him so they could make him fork over a bunch of money. Just really sad.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
More people need to speak out. White people don't really defend their violent riff raff, unless it's family or relatives. It's not even a secret who is overrepresented as victims and perpetrators of violent crime. Criminal offending rates differ by ethnicity. (O.K., the Jan 6, nitwits had some support but lots of them are in prison.) Who really wants to live around violent people and go places where violence is likely to occur? White Americans, especially white southerners, are the most violent white people on the planet, but is there a lot of, "well you have to understand what it's like to grow up white and poor in a trailer park and we need to fix those root causes in trailer parks that lead people to embrace a thug life so we shouldn't incarcerate them or criticize them until the root causes are addressed?"

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I’m not a big fan of the new fad of “reporting” where an organization picks and chooses twitter comments to represent how a portion of the population feels about a certain topic. You can literally do that for ANYTHING. It’s also lazy as hell, but that seems to be the norm.

the above statement has not a GD thing to do with whatever happened at Top Golf.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
As soon as it was announced where it was being built I knew it was doomed. Memphis PD wasn’t going to police it to keep things in order.
Exactly. It may be on Germantown road, but it’s within a mile of a pretty extensive south Memphis area that has shuttered more restaurants, shopping centers, and entertainment venues that some could count. There are worse areas of town when it comes to gang violence I guess, but people aren’t heading to that area of town to hang out and spend money anymore, and that pretty much ended 20 years ago.

Again, just a baffling decision to build a Top Golf of all places in that location

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why didn’t they put it downtown? Birmingham did that and after an initial drive by the first few weeks it was open, been pretty smooth sailing since. And Bham is just as dangerous as Memphis

Can’t put this stuff out on the outer perimeter of the actual city. Gonna have all the crime but none of the interest and population of a downtown

A declining suburban area is much worse than a declining downtown

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Why didn’t they put it downtown? Birmingham did that and after an initial drive by the first few weeks it was open, been pretty smooth sailing since. And Bham is just as dangerous as Memphis
No space, or not space they wanted to pay for.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I’m not a big fan of the new fad of “reporting” where an organization picks and chooses twitter comments to represent how a portion of the population feels about a certain topic. You can literally do that for ANYTHING. It’s also lazy as hell, but that seems to be the norm.

the above statement has not a GD thing to do with whatever happened at Top Golf.
I can see that, but that's journalism now. It does reflect an aspect of our culture and how some things people notice have to be discussed carefully. This is an instance of some people essentially saying, "Hey, we know this happens and finally someone else is talking about it." I like it when white people call out racist white people and neo-Nazis. Just apply those standards of behavior equally, not equitably, and it's all good.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Having grown up in mempho, and still have mom and sisters there to visit....including mom who lives in the house she was born in...I've been amazed at how many times people want to try and develop or redevelop certain parts.

I worked a contract at the Electrolux plant and that was hilarious because the management was brought in and they never could figure out how to get production up. Slowly but surely, they were growing a contract workforce that would have overtaken the born and bred locals had the plant stayed open. Those contract production folks would come in and do double the work because they weren't preoccupied with bring fashionable or finding places in the plant to hide.

Reactions: aTotal360

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Can’t put this stuff out on the outer perimeter of the actual city. Gonna have all the crime but none of the interest and population of a downtown

A declining suburban area is much worse than a declining downtown
Birmingham doesn’t see to be just as dangerous as Memphis.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I can see that, but that's journalism now. It does reflect an aspect of our culture and how some things people notice have to be discussed carefully. This is an instance of some people essentially saying, "Hey, we know this happens and finally someone else is talking about it." I like it when white people call out racist white people and neo-Nazis. Just apply those standards of behavior equally, not equitably, and it's all good.
My problem is that it is opinion masquerading as journalism. If I wanted to I’m sure I could write an article titled “Mississippi State fans rally behind embattled head football coach”. Then I could go find some fans singing Arnett’s praises and how he needs more time. Post their tweets and, boom, I have proven that as a whole state fans want Arnett to come back next year. It’s a good way to push an agenda

once again, to be clear, this has nothing to do with Top Golf

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My problem is that it is opinion masquerading as journalism. If I wanted to I’m sure I could write an article titled “Mississippi State fans rally behind embattled head football coach”. Then I could go find some fans singing Arnett’s praises and how he needs more time. Post their tweets and, boom, I have proven that as a whole state fans want Arnett to come back next year. It’s a good way to push an agenda

once again, to be clear, this has nothing to do with Top Golf
If it's written that way, sure. Some fans want to keep Arnett. Some don't. In this instance, it's a glimpse of local opinion, a small sample, unlikely to appear on national news. It's the opposite of the agenda pushed on national news.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I grew up there and lived there until we had enough and moved 10 years ago. It’s a shthole and always will be. Literally every shopping mall and movie theater has closed or been made so that you can’t go there with your family and feel safe.

Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall, Galleria, Peabody Place, Tower Records, Winchester Court Theater, Paradiso Theater etc etc etc. It’s laughable to me that Memphis residents continue to defend living there.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
If it's written that way, sure. Some fans want to keep Arnett. Some don't. In this instance, it's a glimpse of local opinion, a small sample, unlikely to appear on national news. It's the opposite of the agenda pushed on national news.
880F93EB-79EF-40C9-9C80-7B810181A552.jpeg
That exact article is on the front page of Fox News. CNN does the same stuff.

once again, whether you agree or disagree with what is written is not important. Posting twitter opinions is not news. It’s opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login