Top Wide Receivers

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
OOB had a little segment on this morning questioning why Leach can not attract top wide receivers in such a pass happy offense. I looked at the WR room and their rankings and imo it seems pretty good to not be Bama. There are several 4 stats in the room and obviously 5 stars would be better but still I thought it not a very accurate statement. He even said State should be getting a Dontario Drummond type every year, who was a 3 star recruit. Opinions ?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
State has more star talent at the WR position than in the history of the school and it's not even close.
Calvin, Harmon, Tulu, Dortch, Mosely, Robinson, Thomas are all 4* guys. And the only way MSU will ever sign a 5* WR is if he is from the state of Mississippi.
Bounds is a ******* idiot. Mississippi State does not get 5* talent from out of state and rarely got 4* talent from out of state until Leach arrived. 4/7 4* WRs on the roster and from out of state and Leach signed them all. State has two 4* QBs on the roster from out of state and will be adding a third. Other than Croom handing Russell to Mullen, did he ever sign a 4* QB? If he did then the kid never amounted to anything while at MSU that I can think of.
Tell Bounds to stop being a cock sucker

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When in doubt, he plays off the MSU inferiority complex and the OM superiority complex. Finebaum playbook.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Well I sent them a message and we had a little discussion. Of course he said he wasn't referring to transfers and Tulu was an athlete. Typical jackass stuff. I listed 9 4* and yes, one was only an ESPN 4* but we know if Lane signed a guy off the ESPN 300 they would nut in their shorts. Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Then he tried to say it was a listener's question not theirs. Only reason I was listening to them is I'm coming to work 3 hours early today.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bo, like many sports talk show hosts, knows the same, or maybe even less than the average message board fan. There are a few hosts, like Cole Cubelic, out of B'ham, that really understand the game, talent and put in the work to keep themselves up to date, but those types are few and far between, plus they often get in too deep and don't hold the average fan's attention.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I'm excited. As others have said, we've never had more talent at the position. Couple that with the talent and future in the QB room.

I think Leach has done a pretty decent job accumulating 4* WRs, especially considering our school tradition of rock toters.

Mullen didn't pull many 4* receivers in a decade w the spread-power run style. I don't recall Moorhead pulling a 4* WR. Probably won't be ever be drowning in 5* WRs, but we're pulling some 4* talent now. It's really only year 2 with a full off season, which can't be understated as far as learning and development.

I hope to win 6-10 games this year.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Bo don''t know ****. He just spits out what he hear from others. He's a fool

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
I believe there was a whopping 32 5 stars this year. Some years there are only 30, some years 35. So among 35 5 stars, how many are WR’s?

Was Metcalf a 5 star? Brown?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I named each of them off for him. Then he came up with ******** excuses why he was still correct. Douchebag but its all good

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Leach has drastically transformed the talent in our WR room and I’m not sure how one can argue otherwise. We are 5 years removed from our leading receiver being Jesse Jackson with like 230 yards the whole season and Reggie Todd dropping everything thrown in his direction.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Todd couldn't catch a cold. WR, QB and OL improved for sure. Its time for that to translate into Ws tho.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Also, Will throws the most catchable ball in recent memory. But yeah, JJ and RT were painful to watch.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
When in doubt, he plays off the MSU inferiority complex and the OM superiority complex. Finebaum playbook.

There’s an element of truth to every schtick though.

We haven’t signed an NFL caliber WR in 30 years because, quite simply, we haven’t played the recruiting game with them like we should. OM has signed a double digit number over the same period….many of them from MS. Proof is in the pudding. Their booster network has always prioritized QB / WR recruiting while letting other positions slide. Ours has focused more on the defensive positions and RB’s.

Our approach actually made a little bit of sense until about 10 years ago when all the rule changes favoring the offense and the passing game started to come into play. But in today’s game, elite WR’s are a much bigger game changer than they were back in Jackie and even Croom’s days. Thus far, we haven’t adjusted. And NIL certainly isn’t going to make that adjustment any easier now.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login