Transfer portal and JUCOs

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t know if it’s been discussed here, but it occurred to me that the transfer portal is going to have a detrimental effect on JUCOs.

They’ll still be landing spots for guys that are academically ineligible or kids that need a year or two for size/speed/strength/maturity/experience, but it would appear the days of the Power 5 player making a stop in Scooba between schools are effectively over.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Another thing is I don’t know if JUCO football puts out the players it did 30 years ago. Coaches are a now a lot better at identifying players that have D1 talent while they are in High School that would have slip through the cracks and end up in JUCO 20-30 years ago.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You’re right.

And the number of NJCAA & California CC schools playing football keeps decreasing, which is a big reason why I’ve disagreed with folks here who’ve been strongly in favor of extensively recruiting Juco players.

I’m not opposed to it but I just think we shouldn’t be as overly dependent as I think they want to be.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You’re right.

And the number of NJCAA & California CC schools playing football keeps decreasing, which is a big reason why I’ve disagreed with folks here who’ve been strongly in favor of extensively recruiting Juco players.

I’m not opposed to it but I just think we shouldn’t be as overly dependent as I think they want to be.
Anybody that wants to extensively go after jucos must have not been paying attention in 2000-2003 to State football.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Anybody that wants to extensively go after jucos must have not been paying attention in 2000-2003 to State football.

I am not arguing about JUCOs because things have changed but Jackie built the SEC West Championship team with them. 2000-2003 was hurt because of the transfer rule the SEC changed after recruiting them. If I remember right it was nick named the Jackie rule. Those guys were not able to get to campus until the fall when before they could come in the spring. That's what killed it.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
I think the quality of JUCO might actually improve. Because there’s going to be more talented high school players than normal passed over by P5 schools. I was listening to a former recruiting coordinator at an SEC school talk yesterday, and he said the primary thing that he’s noticing the portal effect in this cycle is that schools, including Kiffin and staff (it was an Ole Miss podcast, so obviously that was his key topic), are taking far fewer projects in this class. In the past you’d sign several kids that were “maybes”, but with the portal, teams would rather save those spots. So there will be a lot of projects that wind up in JUCO that are really good players. In normal years I think MSU or Ole Miss one would take a shot on that DB committed to Nebraska. But they want to save the spots for the portal now.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
In a state like MS, JUCO football is still useful, as it finds those super raw guys and somewhat develops them. Not to mention the academics. And there are always guys coming in from other states. The transfer portal doesn't change that.

The big benefit for MSU with these guys is that they are in-state, so we have better access. There's no real advantage to us recruiting Kansas, Texas or California JUCOs. The local guys have always been why we do it, as there's nothing special per se about any one JUCO.

They are there, so we MUST use them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think what will happen is that the projects will be taken by G5 schools. I expect Southern Miss to heavily emphasize project-heavy recruits from schools in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. Will Hall's experience in those states is going to be crucial for the Eagles.

What I'd like to know is this: How much G5 ---> P5 portal movement will occur?

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Weren’t the admissions requirements lowered? I seem to remember there being a push for that at least. If so, that will hurt JUCO to a certain degree because now the prime kids that couldn’t qualify will be able to get on university campus as freshmen instead of juniors.

Theoretically it would do as stated previously and make JUCO be a place for raw talent to further develop and then be ready to show up at a university and hopefully give 2 productive years to the team but still likely after a redshirt year.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
What percentage of players in the Portal actually get a P5 scholarship? I would guess maybe 30-40%

I think I saw last week that only 28% of P5 players are winding up at P5’s. For every Aaron Brule, both schools have some guys in there that can’t find a home. I think that’s the piece that will ultimately make it self correct somewhat. These kids are figuring out the grass isn’t always greener. And some are going to stay and fight for a spot, which is good. Because they need that P5 stipend. Of course, a lot of the kids are heavily encouraged to enter the portal, too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login