Transfer Portal: Basketball

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Maybe I'm not as internet savvy as you guys, but it appears that players have until May 11th to enter the portal. Is there a deadline for when those in portal have to sign with a new team?

Til what date does a player who has entered the portal have if that player decides he wants to stay with his current team?

Thanks in advance.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Maybe I'm not as internet savvy as you guys, but it appears that players have until May 11th to enter the portal. Is there a deadline for when those in portal have to sign with a new team?

Til what date does a player who has entered the portal have if that player decides he wants to stay with his current team?

Thanks in advance.
I think they can wait all the way up to fall semester begins before landing with a team. As far as players returning to their school I’m not sure but I would assume it would be by summer.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Once someone declares their intent to transfer and enters the portal, the current program no longer has to hold a spot for them. That means if Tommy Banana says he is going to enter the portal, Jans can fill that spot even if Tommy Banana ends up not liking what he sees for options and asks to come back.
Now if a spot is still available and the staff wants the player to stay, then they can choose to accept the player back, but they dont have to.

^ this is correct at least up thru last year. I havent read about rule changes, or even know if there are any.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login