Trey Lance looks like doodoo

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I don’t understand why nobody wanted Jimmy G. I could be convinced he would have been a better bet than Winston for the Saints

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Jimmy G is definitely not a bad QB. I don’t blame San Francisco for trying something different though. He’s a good QB but does feel limited. Kinda like Ryan tannehill or cousins. Not bad QBs but definitely not elite. You could make a case San Fran is a top notch QB away from a super bowl.

Aug 22, 2012
Jimmy G is definitely not a bad QB. I don’t blame San Francisco for trying something different though. He’s a good QB but does feel limited. Kinda like Ryan tannehill or cousins. Not bad QBs but definitely not elite. You could make a case San Fran is a top notch QB away from a super bowl.

He's better than the 2 you mentioned. Hell they were right on the doorstep last year. I think the niners are making a mistake

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
He's better than the 2 you mentioned. Hell they were right on the doorstep last year. I think the niners are making a mistake

I agree with you in regards to them making a mistake replacing him with lance. My point is, I don’t believe jimmy g was ever going to win a super bowl as a starting QB, so I don’t blame San Fran for trying something different. Now I don’t expect that to work out but I get the thought process.

Aug 22, 2012
I agree with you in regards to them making a mistake replacing him with lance. My point is, I don’t believe jimmy g was ever going to win a super bowl as a starting QB, so I don’t blame San Fran for trying something different. Now I don’t expect that to work out but I get the thought process.

I agree but a lot of teams find out that the grass isn't always greener. For every Aaron Rodgers there are 5 Blaine Gabberts

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It’s an NFL preseason football game. You didn’t see anything close to the real offense that the 49ers will run with Lance.

This is Kyle Shanahan’s handpicked QB. It’s going to be Lamar Jackson redux for these first few years while he becomes more refined as a passer. Thats how they will win games. Not by Lance turning into Peyton Manning overnight.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I understand why it's hard to GMs to sit tight when they know they don't have the pieces to win, but I think steady "winning" or maybe just competitiveness is underrated. If a QB won't prevent you from getting to the playoffs, I wouldn't roll the dice just to roll the dice. Baltimore won with Trent Dilfer. Just do your best to get to the playoffs and hope you get lucky. And if you have a good team other than QB, it's much more likely you pick up an older QB that wants to chase one more ring (Brady, Manning) or a veteran QB that has never had the chance (Stafford).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I understand why it's hard to GMs to sit tight when they know they don't have the pieces to win, but I think steady "winning" or maybe just competitiveness is underrated. If a QB won't prevent you from getting to the playoffs, I wouldn't roll the dice just to roll the dice. Baltimore won with Trent Dilfer. Just do your best to get to the playoffs and hope you get lucky. And if you have a good team other than QB, it's much more likely you pick up an older QB that wants to chase one more ring (Brady, Manning) or a veteran QB that has never had the chance (Stafford).

I agree with you. Coming from a dolphins fan who’s seen too many 7 and 8 win seasons over the last 20 years, I’d love to have a good QB who could consistently deliver a winning record and a trip to the playoffs.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I can think of about 27 million reasons why.

Yeah I just read something on him last night about his huge cap hit if someone traded for him. I think everyone expects the 49ers to release him and someone will bring him in for cheap for a year and then decide if they want to pay him starting qb money or not

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah I just read something on him last night about his huge cap hit if someone traded for him. I think everyone expects the 49ers to release him and someone will bring him in for cheap for a year and then decide if they want to pay him starting qb money or not

Correct. It’s a trade that would have happened months ago, if it was going to happen. And even then, the 49ers would have gotten nothing in return except likely another bad contract that a suitor would have to unload to clear up the cap space. Nobody would give a high draft pick or a decent player with an affordable long term deal to get a one year rental on an overpriced, average QB. About the only team in the league that would make sense right now would be Seattle, but they obviously aren’t going to throw a life preserver to a divisional rival that is drowning in QB purgatory.

Makes more sense for them to keep him around one more year as a back-up. And for a QB that is going to run as much as Lance will, that’s a valuable piece to have.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Yeah keeping him at this point makes the most the most sense unless they just want to save the money

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login