Trey Petty signs with Illinois

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Josh Flowers signs with Arkansas State.

Something is not adding up here. I think Illinois got a really good player and once again the previous staff could not evaluate talent.

Reactions: Colonel Kang

patdog

May 28, 2007
I am really worried with our DC. Hopefully he picked up some good coaching tips from Saban.
Saban coaching tree is a mixed bag. Some huge successes (Smart), but a lot of huge failures. My other concern is the head coach is going to recruit mostly offensive players & defense won’t get many recruits. Right now we’re at 20 offensive recruits to 12 defensive recruits.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Yea I agree, it worked out with Lebby and he’s got his qb. But I find the Flowers situation strange, I think petty is a good player and would have done really well under Lebby or Leach.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Saban's program is more of a recruiting machine than a coaching clinic. He has said as much in past interviews. Not surprising that most of his coaches are better recruiters than chalkboard pros. They believe in the saying "It's the Jimmy and Joes, not the X's and O's".

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Saban's program is more of a recruiting machine than a coaching clinic. He has said as much in past interviews. Not surprising that most of his coaches are better recruiters than chalkboard pros. They believe in the saying "It's the Jimmy and Joes, not the X's and O's".
Exactly! Games are played on the field by the players. When you get the best you can run any offense or defense and be successful. Of course, having officials that are more critical of your opponents helps too.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Trey Petty is a dude. He's not the most talented, but he can rally the troops and is a great leader. I'd take him on my football team any time. Especially if it sealed the deal with current and future SHS recruits.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yea I agree, it worked out with Lebby and he’s got his qb. But I find the Flowers situation strange, I think petty is a good player and would have done really well under Lebby or Leach.
It's not strange at all. We got the QB we really wanted committed and dropped him. Happens all the time.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
tough but this is a business for both sides now. produce or prosper elsewhere

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It's not strange at all. We got the QB we really wanted committed and dropped him. Happens all the time.
It’s strange because the center piece of Arnetts recruiting class is a sunbelt qb and Petty wasn’t given the time of day until it was too late. maybe the talent evaluation there was wildly askew.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It’s strange because the center piece of Arnetts recruiting class is a sunbelt qb and Petty wasn’t given the time of day until it was too late. maybe the talent evaluation there was wildly askew.
Petty was passed over by 3 different staffs (Leach, Arnett, Lebby).

Illinois is kind of appropriate for Petty, because he’s basically another Luke Altmyer. Good player, but not SEC caliber.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Petty was passed over by 3 different staffs (Leach, Arnett, Lebby).

Illinois is kind of appropriate for Petty, because he’s basically another Luke Altmyer. Good player, but not SEC caliber.
Flowers was great though....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login