Tri-tip cooked sous vide and pan-seared

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That looks outstanding. Tri-tip has such great beef flavor.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
That’s awesome. My wife loves steak, but hates tri tip - don’t understand it. It’s become one of my favorite things to cook to. I smoke indirect at 225-250, pull around 110-115 and sear until I get the crust I want or it hits 120. It’s such a good cut if it’s sliced correctly.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Tto-tip is tough to find around my neck of the woods.

Looks good though, OP.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Tto-tip is tough to find around my neck of the woods.

Looks good though, OP.

I get them on Butcher Box, they usually have tri-tip available as an add-on. It's not the cheapest but it is grass-fed and they do a great job with their packaging and delivery. I think I can shoot you a code for $30 off a box if you happen to be interested.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yummy.

I finally got a sous vide earlier this year. Haven't cooked with it yet, but vac sealing leftover BBQ and reheating with sous vide is a game changer.

Taking the RV up to Glacier for about 10 days this coming week and I have 5 lbs of leftover brisket and pulled pork that we can take with us now.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I asked the butcher at our local grocer if he’d try cutting one for me a while back and now they keep it in stock and sell it for 5.99lb. I did the same with him for pork belly and now it sells before I got find it most of the time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Someone gave me a sous vide thingy a couple of years ago but I’ve yet to use it. I’m gonna have to try it. I did pork belly burnt ends yesterday and they were fantastic. Wife didn’t want pork belly because it’s too fatty so I cooked her a rib eye, she ended up eating more pork belly than steak. Leftovers are going to be pork belly tacos tonight. If you are ordering meat try The Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola. They have excellent meat including Wagyu at reasonable prices and they ship. I stock up any time we go to Orange Beach. Between the Butcher Shoppe and Joe Patty’s seafood market, it’s like a fat mans Disney World.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Everybody is free to cook their steak to their liking. Far be it for me to try and say otherwise, but damn, I've had worse sunburns.
One of the benefits of sous vide is that it pasteurizes at much lower temperatures, meaning your meat can be less cooked yet still just as free of bacteria. You can control the level of doneness you want just by setting the temperature of the water bath. Then you simply adjust the cook time it takes to safely reach that level. Killing bacteria is a matter of temperature & time. You can kill it at a lower temperature if you cook it longer. Note how the meat is medium-rare from surface-to-surface prior to the sear. You just can't get results like that any other way. The closest you can probably get is long & slow indirect heat, or in some cases extremely high temp for very short time, but even then in order to get the center to a heat that pasteurizes, you're exposing the meat closer to the surface to higher temps which translates to those outer portions being more well done than the center. And with some cuts (like tri-tip) the meat won't be tender enough if you go hot & fast.

You account for the sear you want after, so having it a little more rare before the sear allows you to get a nice crust while still keeping it, in my case medium rare. In this instance I did the sous vide at 131 degrees for 6 hours because 131 gives you the lower end of medium-rare. At 131 I needed to cook 6 hours in order to both kill the bacteria & end with meat that is tender. etc. If you prefer your meat more well done, you simply increase the temperature of the sous vide immersion circulator, or increase the time you sear it after. There are literally charts that show you what temp & time you need to achieve the "doneness" you want.

I've made beef & pork ribs this way as well and they are always consistently great. Using liquid smoke gets you that smoker flavor (after all, liquid smoke is literally the stuff that comes off the wood chips when you use a smoker). The only thing you don't get is that pink ring you get in a smoker.

Last edited:

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
That’s awesome. My wife loves steak, but hates tri tip - don’t understand it. It’s become one of my favorite things to cook to. I smoke indirect at 225-250, pull around 110-115 and sear until I get the crust I want or it hits 120. It’s such a good cut if it’s sliced correctly.
Interesting. I, too. don't usually care for tri-tip when cooked traditionally, especially when it's a tri-tip sandwich. But with this sous-vide method plus the right seasoning it really does taste more like steak or prime rib, and is much more tender. This week we could have bought ribeyes or a prime rib roast for $14 to $17/lb or tri-tip on sale for under $4.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yep. If you don't cut against the grain it is way too chewy when you try to eat it. I think some people don't realize the grain changes direction on tri-tip, so you need to cut appropriately. In the pics above the cut I made just out of the sous vide was right where the grain changed. The seared pics are literally from the other half I had cut off. By separating like that it made it easy to know after searing which way I needed to slice those cuts on the plate.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yummy.

I finally got a sous vide earlier this year. Haven't cooked with it yet, but vac sealing leftover BBQ and reheating with sous vide is a game changer.

Taking the RV up to Glacier for about 10 days this coming week and I have 5 lbs of leftover brisket and pulled pork that we can take with us now.
Love Glacier Nat'l Park! You ever get there by driving north through Idaho? Drove to a rugby tournament in Kalispell many years ago. Beautiful drive, including along Flathead Lake.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yummy.

Consider using your sous vide on a future brisket. Comes out perfect every time. Practically impossible to mess it up, even for those rookies.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Same boat man. The single best cook I had in all of 2021 was a tri tip. SRF Wagyu, 3.5 lbs. Smoked it for a couple of hours and then seared it at 850 on the Kamado and it came out amazing. "It's too gamey" is what I remember my wife saying. 17 if I know what's wrong with her. It was delicious. And no offense to the OP, but if you cook it well on a smoker, its perfectly tender with a little extra flavor that is impossible to get in sous vide. I will put that Tri Tip last year up against any ever made and take my chances.

View attachment 24687

View attachment 24688

View attachment 24689

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Same boat man. The single best cook I had in all of 2021 was a tri tip. SRF Wagyu, 3.5 lbs. Smoked it for a couple of hours and then seared it at 850 on the Kamado and it came out amazing. "It's too gamey" is what I remember my wife saying. 17 if I know what's wrong with her. It was delicious. And no offense to the OP, but if you cook it well on a smoker, its perfectly tender with a little extra flavor that is impossible to get in sous vide. I will put that Tri Tip last year up against any ever made and take my chances.

View attachment 24687

View attachment 24688

View attachment 24689
No offense taken. As I said, probably the closest you can get is slow & low in a smoker. I'd argue about the smoke flavor though. Good brand liquid smoke works great, and is literally the same stuff that seeps into your meat in a smoker. It's not artificial, rather distilled/captured as the steam from the wood chips and cooled down to a liquid.

The stuff I made above was just USDA Choice...not even prime, much less Wagyu. Sous vide is especially amazing at taking what would normally be tougher meat and have it come out tender. I'd love to see what sous vide would do with Wagyu, but it is WAY too expensive out here in NorCal.

BTW, if your wife likes prime rib, my method works great. Simply patted the meat dry, then applied rock salt, letting it sit until it looked like sweat on the meat. Wiped it off a bit before bagging & sous vide because sous vide can intensify seasoning. Applied Carne Asada seasoning as a dry rub, immediately vacuum-sealed it and put it in the sous vide bath. 6 hours later I pulled it, opened the bag and patted it dry again while my cast iron skillet got smokin' hot. Brushed it with avocado oil (olive oil is fine too), then seasoned it with garlic salt. Added a small amount of oil to the hot skillet before searing the meat, adding a little butter to help get that nice deep-brown sear. THat's it! Very little prep time. Once it is in the sous vide bath you don't have to baby-sit it. Just go about your day until it is ready 6 hours later. And with sous vide, you have a huge window to go get it after the 6 hours. Never going to cook beyond the level of doneness you choose, though if you go past 12 hours it might get a little mushy.

Using this method you will get consistent results every single time. Comes out exactly how you want it every time with little effort. Another cool thing is you can sous vide as much meat as you want, store some in the freezer, then when you are ready, throw the frozen ones back in a sous vide bath for perhaps an hour to reheat...then sear right before you are ready to serve. Think about that. In the same amount of time it takes to cook that day's meal you can cook & freeze extra, then have it plated in just over an hour after you decide to have it!

One more thing JLS, some people have reported great results from sous vide followed by a finish in the smoker before searing.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
One thing I am going to try now that I have the sous vide... Reverse seared steak on my Inferno. It's an overfired propane steak broiler that cooks from the top down at about 1600 F. It's a delicate process to learn how to cook on it regarding steak thickness, ambient temp, and time, but once mastered you can't beet the crust and flavor. I cook for about 1.5 minutes each side and rest for 5 minutes before hitting it again 20-25 seconds each side. Now I want to try sous vide the steak up to 115-120 and then just hitting the inferno for the crust on each side for 30 seconds or so.

When I got mine, they were all $500 for the inferno and over $1000 for the Beefer and Otto Wilde, but now there are a million knock offs including this one on Amazon for $120.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-HORN-OUT...cphy=9029571&hvtargid=pla-1667370358522&psc=1

It's theoretical at this point, but in my head you can sous vide 5-6 steaks and then reverse sear them all on this badboy in 5-6 minutes for the ultimate steakhouse quality steak at minimal effort. I'll test it out in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.

Aug 15, 2011
You're not kidding. I tried a grass-fed steak one time, and it smelled like...

I had cooked a cow patty. The flavor wasn't bad, but the smell was awful.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
One thing I am going to try now that I have the sous vide... Reverse seared steak on my Inferno. It's an overfired propane steak broiler that cooks from the top down at about 1600 F. It's a delicate process to learn how to cook on it regarding steak thickness, ambient temp, and time, but once mastered you can't beet the crust and flavor. I cook for about 1.5 minutes each side and rest for 5 minutes before hitting it again 20-25 seconds each side. Now I want to try sous vide the steak up to 115-120 and then just hitting the inferno for the crust on each side for 30 seconds or so.

When I got mine, they were all $500 for the inferno and over $1000 for the Beefer and Otto Wilde, but now there are a million knock offs including this one on Amazon for $120.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-HORN-OUT...cphy=9029571&hvtargid=pla-1667370358522&psc=1

It's theoretical at this point, but in my head you can sous vide 5-6 steaks and then reverse sear them all on this badboy in 5-6 minutes for the ultimate steakhouse quality steak at minimal effort. I'll test it out in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.
Cool. I'd love to hear how it comes out. I've been thinking about building my own outdoor "pizza oven" so that I can get temps up above 900 degrees. Looks like a fun project, and besides pizza I was thinking about trying the same thing you are...sous vide, then very quick sear at 900 or more.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Love Glacier Nat'l Park! You ever get there by driving north through Idaho? Drove to a rugby tournament in Kalispell many years ago. Beautiful drive, including along Flathead Lake.

It's the only way I go... I actually live in the impact zone of this byway.\

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Have fun at Glacier!

I know you're going to have a lot of fun based on what we chatted about.

My vacation was also really nice.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bela and Old Crow were awesome as was Sam Bush. American Aquarium was great too.

I might have been a little disappointed in Paul Cauthen but he was the last act in a long day.

Oh. If Daniel Donato ever plays near you, be there if you can.

The weather up in Wisconsin was a hell of lot better than it was in Mississippi.

There was a day when it was 90 degrees but there was no humidity so it just felt like 90 as opposed to 102.

New Glarus beer for the win...

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
For the OP and second poster who posted the pictures of the smoked Tri-tip, how are you seasoning it? Basic salt, pepper, garlic or something more extensive? Or did you marinade in something?

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
JoeLee'sSocks;[URL="tel:2050201" said:
2050201[/URL]]Same boat man. The single best cook I had in all of 2021 was a tri tip. SRF Wagyu, 3.5 lbs. Smoked it for a couple of hours and then seared it at 850 on the Kamado and it came out amazing. "It's too gamey" is what I remember my wife saying. 17 if I know what's wrong with her. It was delicious. And no offense to the OP, but if you cook it well on a smoker, its perfectly tender with a little extra flavor that is impossible to get in sous vide. I will put that Tri Tip last year up against any ever made and take my chances.

View attachment 24687

View attachment 24688

View attachment 24689

Looks great! Any sort of prep or rub before the smoke? Pretty much how I do the Tomahawk ribeye fwiw.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Every time someone mentions sous vide I think of this crap from the 1970's, the original sous vide. I got a sous vide for Christmas and gave it to my sister after the cousin that gave it to me left that day. Its sitting in her closet still.

View attachment 24699 View attachment 24700

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Every time someone mentions sous vide I think of this crap from the 1970's, the original sous vide. I got a sous vide for Christmas and gave it to my sister after the cousin that gave it to me left that day. Its sitting in her closet still.

View attachment 24699 View attachment 24700
man I can’t tell you how many of those Turkey and gravy boil in the bag on a slice of loaf bread I ate as a kid. I still do something similar. When I cook BBQ I cook a lot of BBQ. I’ll cook 3-4 full size butts each time. I shred them and vacuum pack the meat in four cup bags and freeze them. If I want BBQ nachos or a sandwich I just drop a frozen bag in a pot of boiling water for 30-45 minutes and voila, fresh smoked BBQ. You won’t tell the difference between what comes out of that vacuum bag and what comes fresh off the smoker.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login