Troubles on D

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Saturday showed all of our weaknesses on defense. Lateral speed is non existent, dbs are weak and we cannot generate a pass rush. Our only hope to save our secondary is to get pressure but we can't even when sending 6 guys. Then if we do get any pressure, it's so easy for the QB to break contain and pick up a few yards with us being so slow. I have full faith in us stopping the run against any ground-and-pound teams but that's about the only thing I feel comfortable with this group. Add in that they're going to be seeing a lot of snaps with the amounts of 3 and outs we have headed our way.

I realize the offense is our biggest and most glaring issue (really it's just sad to watch at this point) but this defense won't keep us in games like it has in the past.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
we wasted scholarships and NIL money on tight ends and receivers that we don’t use, but did not sign any edge rushers. this shows Arnett has no idea how to manage a roster.
Leach offense ate up TOP which really made things easier for the defense. Arnetts new offense leaves his defense on the field the whole game , wearing them out. which shows again, by radically changing the offense, Arnett did not think things through.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I saw several times we were able to get pressure with 5 or 6, but either:
1. Daniels was able to avoid the rush and break contain (I don't know that I would call it easy, though).
or
2. The secondary had one or more DBs beaten.

It's a problem that we couldn't get pressure with just 4 rushers at all, but #2 above is the bigger problem, and one we all suspected was coming...albeit maybe not as horrific as it was at times Saturday.
The upside is that was the best QB/WR combo we'll play the rest of the way. Unless they collapse because they've lost faith in our offense, I expect our defense will keep games in reach through at least the 3rd quarter every Saturday from here out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
To be fair, LSU exposed all of those weaknesses last year too and we wound up with a pretty good defense. I'm a lot less worried about the defense than I am about the offense.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Here is my question..... why do some offensive head coaches run the offense themselves but defensive coaches always hire DCs?

I was thinking Saturday I sure wish Arnett would run the defense himself.

But a lot of problems Saturday (defensively) was because LSU is huge on the OL and fast at the skill positions. They are a playoff team.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
DL gets no pressure alone. We're definitely missing Young and Charleton. And I know Wheat was technically a LB, but he brought a lot of pressure too. No one outside of Jett and Bookie get close enough to sniff a QB.

Just imagine if those two didn't come back for their 6th years... god help us. We complain when they don't make plays but they are literally the only two guys carrying this defense.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
To be fair, LSU exposed all of those weaknesses last year too and we wound up with a pretty good defense. I'm a lot less worried about the defense than I am about the offense.
Yup. We are slow like last year and rely too much on bringing extra guys to get pressure. But there should only be a couple of games where the talent differential is too much to make up. LSU was still working on getting comfortable with a new offense when we played them last year so it wasn't so obvious how outmatched we were.

The real problem is that our offense that was pretty weak last year but at least at times gave our defense some breathers has gotten significantly worse. If we can't just ground and pound a defense, we're in trouble. The question is how comparable Arizona's D is to USCe, Arkansas, Ole Miss, UK, and Auburn. Really need 3 of those for this not to feel like a huge waste of an opportunity. Arizona upgraded their D, but they haven't really played anybody with a pulse but us, so hard to say by how much.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
DL gets no pressure alone. We're definitely missing Young and Charleton. And I know Wheat was technically a LB, but he brought a lot of pressure too. No one outside of Jett and Bookie get close enough to sniff a QB.

Just imagine if those two didn't come back for their 6th years... god help us. We complain when they don't make plays but they are literally the only two guys carrying this defense.
I cannot imagine how exhausted those two have to be after each game. I know it's not true but during a game, it feels like they make every tackle or pressure on every play

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login