TSUN and the fainting goats

Status
Not open for further replies.

SauronWasFramed

Jun 14, 2021
Watching this weekend’s games and nary a team had the problems seen at TSUN, becoming fainting goats to get a free time out.

how will Baylor and officials adapt?

GTHOM

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I will be interested to see how the SEC handles it in the off season… faking injuries to slow down the other team is chicken shat. Just like that QB that faked a slide this weekend.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I doubt anything will be done. Bama started it 8 or 9 years ago.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's strategy. If teams can run hurry up, teams will find ways to slow it down. There's no way to make rule that penalizes a potential injury. This whole "sit'm out a qtr" stuff could cost you a kid that just got the wind knocked out of him.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It's strategy. If teams can run hurry up, teams will find ways to slow it down. There's no way to make rule that penalizes a potential injury. This whole "sit'm out a qtr" stuff could cost you a kid that just got the wind knocked out of him.

Yeah its too bad that people unethically exploiting rules make it tough on everybody. Not like its the first time though.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010

It’s real simple. Do not put officials in a place where they have to decide in the moment if he’s faking. The league can review the tape for stuff like coaches signaling it and how fast the player “recovers”. If the league determines it was done strategically to gain a competitive advantage (aka extra timeouts), they take away timeouts from the offending team before the next game for at least a half and potentially whole game if it’s repeat offender. It’s the perfect punishment. If teams cheat in recruiting or academics it cost future scholarships. If a player targets his penalty carries to the next game. I’d also throw in fines to the head coach increasing with the number of offenses.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It can be stopped. The NFL doesn't have this problem because they handled it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Not sure. I just remember Saban making a big deal out of the no huddle, fast paced offenses being an unfair advantage. This was his answer.

Only answer I have is the only substitution allowed is for the injured player. Maybe make them sit for the rest of the series. No huddling, or communication with a coach unless they spend an actual timeout.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Yeah its too bad that people unethically exploiting rules make it tough on everybody. Not like its the first time though.

How they making it tough on everybody? LOL
I got news, if you aren't pushing the rules, you aren't trying.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It’s real simple. Do not put officials in a place where they have to decide in the moment if he’s faking. The league can review the tape for stuff like coaches signaling it and how fast the player “recovers”. If the league determines it was done strategically to gain a competitive advantage (aka extra timeouts), they take away timeouts from the offending team before the next game for at least a half and potentially whole game if it’s repeat offender. It’s the perfect punishment. If teams cheat in recruiting or academics it cost future scholarships. If a player targets his penalty carries to the next game. I’d also throw in fines to the head coach increasing with the number of offenses.

You can't make a rule. You can't take away times outs. Damn, that's a safety issue too. It's going to have to be an understood thing. But when a coach is bringing down $7MMM to win, he's still going to push it in a big game. And I can't blame them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The NFL takes away time outs now and has for years. So yeah, I’m pretty sure you can do that.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The NFL takes away time outs now and has for years. So yeah, I’m pretty sure you can do that.

I'll let you show me where they take timeouts the next game. They don't take timeouts, they use them inside 2 mins. If they don't have one, it's just a runoff.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I will be interested to see how the SEC handles it in the off season… faking injuries to slow down the other team is chicken shat. Just like that QB that faked a slide this weekend.

Its not an SEC issue. Its up to the NCAA. The SEC can't just make up its own rules for the game.

ETA: The SEC could suspend players, and fine or suspend coaches, but I don't see that being very workable. Particularly when the rules allow that behavior.

Last edited:

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017

Agree 100%. It's always been the rule that when a team lines up ready to go and the other team is not, you either snap the ball and go or they call a timeout. It will get the faker to stand up and play in a hurry, or his teammates will call a timeout.

Even if we have to add a timeout per each half (so that they have four per half / eight for the whole game), it would be better than what we have now... Rewarding bad behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login