Tua Tagovailoa concussions

Jack_Straw_Dawg

Nov 18, 2022
At what point does this guy call it a career with all the concussions? Somebody / friend needs to get in his ear and let him know that growing old is not going to be easy at this rate. I get that it's the money but, man, he's cutting decades off his life.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he’s smart he called it a career months ago. That earlier stuff was really scary. You’re right. He’s going to die or be an invalid at a young age.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
At age 24, life is NOT always fair.

Take your $ and check out. (of the NFL as a player)

Sad to say, but probably the best.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
He has more money than 99% of the population has when they reach retirement age. Even with conservative investing he could live comfortably the rest of his life and never have to work again. She he could probably get some kind of non-contact job and continue making a salary better than 95% of the population.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He has more money than 99% of the population has when they reach retirement age. Even with conservative investing he could live comfortably the rest of his life and never have to work again. She he could probably get some kind of non-contact job and continue making a salary better than 95% of the population.

He could realistically make more money as a TV personality for ESPN or the SEC Network for about 5 years than he will have made for the Dolphins. He’s still on his rookie contract, and its looking pretty damn unlikely at this point that Miami is going to pick up that 5th year option, or that anyone is going to offer him a mega deal anywhere close to the scale of other former Top 10 picks at QB.

The decision might get made for him if he doesn’t make it himself.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
He could realistically make more money as a TV personality for ESPN or the SEC Network for about 5 years than he will have made for the Dolphins. He’s still on his rookie contract, and its looking pretty damn unlikely at this point that Miami is going to pick up that 5th year option, or that anyone is going to offer him a mega deal anywhere close to the scale of other former Top 10 picks at QB.

And he'll get pension money. Not sure how that works, but he'll be getting something.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hope he is ok. The only Bama QB that seems like he'll work out is Hurts but can't count him anymore since he was benched and left to go have a better career elsewhere

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

This is what he needs to do. That is if he can put together coherent thoughts.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
He should retire. He has already made more than what many will make in a lifetime. So even tho it may not seem fair to have to retire this young, he's enjoyed a great career. He needs to think about his long term health. Perhaps this explains the interceptions over the weekend.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
A quick search says:

How do NFL players qualify for the pension?

Once a player has been on an active roster for three years (or on injured reserve) they become fully vested, which means they qualify for the full NFL pension.

How much money do NFL players receive from their pension plan?

The amount of pension money an NFL player receives depends on when they retire. For example, according to Investopedia, if a player retired in the 1980s or 90s they could receive between $3000 to $5640 per month. NFL players who retire after 1998 receive $5,640 each month.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A quick search says:

How do NFL players qualify for the pension?

Once a player has been on an active roster for three years (or on injured reserve) they become fully vested, which means they qualify for the full NFL pension.

How much money do NFL players receive from their pension plan?

The amount of pension money an NFL player receives depends on when they retire. For example, according to Investopedia, if a player retired in the 1980s or 90s they could receive between $3000 to $5640 per month. NFL players who retire after 1998 receive $5,640 each month.
I'm surprised it isn't more than that! Don't get me wrong, in this day and age any pension that is guaranteed is nice, but a little under $70k/yr seems like not much compared to salaries.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm surprised it isn't more than that! Don't get me wrong, in this day and age any pension that is guaranteed is nice, but a little under $70k/yr seems like not much compared to salaries.

Its equivalent to the median annual income in the United States, which is a nice sum to have when you consider you get it every year for 30 years or so, and its supplemental to the millions you earned while playing and any endorsements or other permanent income you get after playing…..and you don’t have to do anything to receive it except play for 3 years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Its equivalent to the median annual income in the United States, which is a nice sum to have when you consider you get it every year for 30 years or so, and its supplemental to the millions you earned while playing and any endorsements or other permanent income you get after playing…..and you don’t have to do anything to receive it except play for 3 years.
I'd take it for sure! Way better than my non-existent pension plan. Even if a player doesn't make great money choices and only lasts 3 years, that amount changes what he has to earn to live pretty well. I would love to have $70k tacked onto whatever my normal income is, especially when 100% of my income is at risk. Perform or don't get paid. Don't hit numbers long enough, get asked to do something else...

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
At what point does this guy call it a career with all the concussions? Somebody / friend needs to get in his ear and let him know that growing old is not going to be easy at this rate. I get that it's the money but, man, he's cutting decades off his life.
Troy Aikman needs to sit him down and discuss what's happening to him. One is bad enough, but once they start they will continue.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login