Tubby Smith talks candidly about the transfer portal

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1690919721086.png

"We had over 800 Division I players transfer last year. Over 800. C'mon. Teaching 'em how to quit. That's what we're doing. Things not going well? Let's quit.

"I remember calling my dad when I was a freshman. High Point College. 'Dad, people not treating me... this and that... I'm unhappy here.' There wasn't but two blacks in the whole school. My Dad, he said, 'Son, somebody do something to you?' No. 'You're still getting your scholarship aren't you? They're still feeding you? They're still housing you? You're still getting your education?' I said, 'Yes, Sir.' He said, 'You can't come home. Your bed's been taken... But you can join the Army.' Best thing he ever said to me."

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The guy benefitted from transfers as a coach. He had like 6 incoming in one season when he was at memphis.

It's tough to be taken seriously when you recently participated in and benefitted from the very thing you are complaining about.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Tubby Smith would be traderaping people in the portal if he was still coaching.
Maybe. Maybe he has a different perspective since he is no longer in the game. You are allowed to change your opinion. It's another game now, and he may look at many things differently. I'll admit it is somewhat suspect. He might have had time to think about his experience with transfers.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Maybe. Maybe he has a different perspective since he is no longer in the game. You are allowed to change your opinion. It's another game now, and he may look at many things differently. I'll admit it is somewhat suspect. He might have had time to think about his experience with transfers.

I think a lot of us hate the transfer portal and NIL and what it has done to college athletics. I also think a lot of us know that if we were in charge of a program that we'd have to play the game or else we'd be out on our asses. Is it hypocrisy? Maybe, but being honorable doesn't get you a paycheck.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
There's two sides of the portal:

1) play well and trade up to another better school
2) leave the bench and hope to go play/start somewhere else

Tubby is talking about #2 so yes an incomplete conversation. But he's right about that part. Players need to stay and improve and not quit. And it's a life lesson. The problem isn't "everything and everyone else".

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t think that going to school A for $150K, then transferring to school B for $300K is the definition of “quitting when its not going well”. Its doing what most anyone would do when things are going just fine, but could be even better. Tubby’s pretty out of touch on all this. Happens in the professional world all the time, and all college “amateur” athletes are now professionals.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
View attachment 375991

"We had over 800 Division I players transfer last year. Over 800. C'mon. Teaching 'em how to quit. That's what we're doing. Things not going well? Let's quit.

"I remember calling my dad when I was a freshman. High Point College. 'Dad, people not treating me... this and that... I'm unhappy here.' There wasn't but two blacks in the whole school. My Dad, he said, 'Son, somebody do something to you?' No. 'You're still getting your scholarship aren't you? They're still feeding you? They're still housing you? You're still getting your education?' I said, 'Yes, Sir.' He said, 'You can't come home. Your bed's been taken... But you can join the Army.' Best thing he ever said to me."
Tubby was sitting behind us at the 96 Final Four when he was UGA’s coach. (Before he quit UGA to go coach at KY for more money.)
We said hi as we were walking back from the concessions and he starts a ten minute conversation about how he is cheering for State and how great some of our players are. He really was one of the most engaging and nicest people I have ever met. Mike Tirico was a dick and Cosby was having fun with the band and fans, but he was probably scouting for open containers.

Reactions: Ghostman

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Eliminate immediate eligibility after transferring. That fixes this.

If someone needs a change bad enough to sit for a year, fine. If an NIL collective wants to pay a player to sit for a year, fine. But rosters won't completely turn over every year.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
That’s what I was getting at… back when he was coaching and the portal would’ve benefited him he never would have been against it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Every person who has ever uttered this phrase unironically is a ******* retard.
Disagree. Boomers are the worst generation to ever live in the US. Hands down. Every single issue we have in this country was due to the actions they took in their time of power or their actions they failed to take, and now they are pissed about participation trophies...... 17er your generatation created participation trophies and you raised soft kids to boot who then raised even softer kids.

Reactions: ChE1997

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Disagree. Boomers are the worst generation to ever live in the US. Hands down. Every single issue we have in this country was due to the actions they took in their time of power or their actions they failed to take, and now they are pissed about participation trophies...... 17er your generatation created participation trophies and you raised soft kids to boot who then raised even softer kids.
But other than that, you’re good with them?

Reactions: mstateglfr

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
We're all opportunists..in the job market, in the marital world, in the equity markets, in college and pro sports. Opportunity and capitalism go hand in hand and is what keeps us inventive, resilient and creative.

Last edited:

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

Like I said. ******* retarded. Whine some more, tool.

Reactions: JackShephard

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's two sides of the portal:

1) play well and trade up to another better school
2) leave the bench and hope to go play/start somewhere else

Tubby is talking about #2 so yes an incomplete conversation. But he's right about that part. Players need to stay and improve and not quit. And it's a life lesson. The problem isn't "everything and everyone else".
Then he's wrong twice. #2 is acceptable, who wants to sit on the bench their whole career? Screw that. Things change, coaches leave, etc. As Rosey says, you only have a short time in life to play ball.

#1 is the big problem. That's a lack of loyalty.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How about Boomers owning up they literally dry 17ed this country their entire lives, and now won't admit they did, and they won't die or retire either.
Damn man. Yeah, they are a spoiled, arrogant and entitled generation. But you're sitting here hoping for their death. Are you sadistic?

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Then he's wrong twice. #2 is acceptable, who wants to sit on the bench their whole career? Screw that. Things change, coaches leave, etc. As Rosey says, you only have a short time in life to play ball.

And that’s fine. But coming from a guy that did that exact thing as a coach, it’s hypocritical.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And that’s fine. But coming from a guy that did that exact thing as a coach, it’s hypocritical.
I know, I was agreeing with that part. Not only is he wrong/hypocritical about the portal, he's mad at the lesser of the two evils in the portal. Thus - what I meant when I said he was wrong twice.

Reactions: mcdawg22

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You generalize much? Yeah, thought so.....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

#1 is a lack of loyalty. There is no loyalty in high level D1 sports though, so pointing out a lack of loyalty is par for the course.

Being able to move from Hofstra to Bama or from Towson to KU could be huge for the player(these are 2 examples this season). They will play on a large stage where they will have exposure unlike what they ever could have received at their prior schools. This can directly impact career options post college.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
Chesusdog's post confirmed on the quick!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Exactly. And #2 isn’t typically the players “quitting” either….its coaches quitting on them, and telling them “you’re better off somewhere else”, so they can clear room for the next crop of 4* / 5* guys, and then have the same conversation with half of those next guys, too.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
You generalize much? Yeah, thought so.....
Generalizations are a sign of ignorance, close-mindedness, and the lack of intelligence needed to debate complex topics. It's been a favorite tool of racists, bigots, fascists, ideologues, etc. throughout history.

On an unrelated topic, all LSU fans smell like corndogs.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesusdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login