Tulane parts ways with Jewitt…

1984dog

Apr 4, 2014
Some have brought up University of Memphis

I would think he’ll have better opportunities than Tulane.

We only see the good side of U Memphis when we play them at Autozone Park. If you go look at their on-campus baseball facilities, you will see that Starkville High School has better facilities. No way Goat goes there.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But their scholarship situation is way better than Tulane. Still would be shocked to see him take Memphis

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Jake is paid really well to be an assistant here and G5 baseball coaching salaries are usually not great. My expectation is that he holds out for an SEC or other high major HC gig.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Jake is paid really well to be an assistant here and G5 baseball coaching salaries are usually not great. My expectation is that he holds out for an SEC or other high major HC gig.

I understand salary is a part of the equation, however, there’s something to be said for you leading a team and trying your hand at doing it your way

Plus it’s his alma mater

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
I understand salary is a part of the equation, however, there’s something to be said for you leading a team and trying your hand at doing it your way

Plus it’s his alma mater

But his alma mater doesn’t present the same opportunities as others surely can.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How is Memphis scholarship situation better than Tulane? I don't know how serious Tulane wants to be about baseball going forward, but they've got better history than Memphis and I don't see any reason their scholarship situation is that much different than Vandy's. And with NIL and the upcoming lifting of scholarship restrictions by the NCAA, it really wouldn't matter anyway.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It costs 60k a year to go to Tulane for instate and out of state it costs about 10k for Memphis for instate and they have a decent state sponsored scholarship program. Tulanes endowment is less than 20% of Vandys. If they were the same as Vandy they’d be a lot better. If they have a bunch of kids on full rides at Tulane then it sure doesn’t show.

I dont see either school going big on NIL for baseball. If they eliminate scholarship caps, they would
change things but thats likely a conference decision and also a decision as to whether the school wants to fund those. Both are bad jobs

Last edited by a moderator:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012

Plus it’s his alma mater

Maybe the alma mater piece is really important to him but he had similar HC opportunities last year and said no. My understanding is that Rice was very interested in him.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
It costs 60k a year to go to Tulane for instate and out of state it costs about 10k for Memphis for instate and they have a decent state sponsored scholarship program. Tulanes endowment is less than 20% of Vandys. If they were the same as Vandy they’d be a lot better. If they have a bunch of kids on full rides at Tulane then it sure doesn’t show.

I dont see either school going big on NIL for baseball. If they eliminate scholarship caps, they would
change things but thats likely a conference decision and also a decision as to whether the school wants to fund those. Both are bad jobs

You are right. Neither one of those jobs would seem to be appealing to someone with Gautreau’s credentials.

But that’s just me.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login