Turf experts

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think I have mowed my lawn twice since the first of August but I have been watering enough to keep it green/alive. How much longer should I do this ?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think I have mowed my lawn twice since the first of August but I have been watering enough to keep it green/alive. How much longer should I do this ?
When your grass (I’m assuming you have Bermudagrass) turns brown from lack of water it’s not really dying, it’s just shutting down. Bermudagrass could survive a direct nuclear blast so I’d stop watering it but that’s just me.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

patdog

May 28, 2007
When your grass (I’m assuming you have Bermudagrass) turns brown from lack of water it’s not really dying, it’s just shutting down. Bermudagrass could survive a direct nuclear blast so I’d stop watering it but that’s just me.
I haven't watered my yard in years. Grass always comes back once the rains come.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
LOL I had an older farmer friend of mine tell me one time "son if you want Bermuda grass to grow on your lawn, just go out and sprinkle a few cotton seeds around and the Bermuda will automatically grow". I have a very "diverse " mixture of Bermuda, St Augustine and Zoysia .

Reactions: Msdeltareb

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Bermuda and all summer grasses are going into dormancy. Go ahead and cut the water off. It's a little late but maybe throw some potash on it if you live on the coast or close to the coast. Other than that, let it go to sleep. Best time to throw K out in the fall is late August/early September.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Bermuda goes all Roman on centipede and takes it over. It doesn't seem to care about doing that to other weeds.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Bermuda goes all Roman on centipede and takes it over. It doesn't seem to care about doing that to other weeds.
It chokes out quite a bit of other weeds and grasses unless it’s something that grows faster than it like crab grass.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login