Turf Management Grads & Hank Hill Experts

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I have a dumb question.

I'm having a large cookout in my backyard Saturday. I got some BioAdvanced hose spray treatment for weeds & bugs. I'm mainly concerned about the small cloud of "lawn gnats" that occasionally spring up.

Do I spray first or mow first?

If it was just a few friends coming over I wouldn't be concerned, but this is about 40 people, spouses & children included. And kind of a fundraiser for Jack's Basket. https://www.jacksbasket.org/events/burgers-and-baskets

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I have a dumb question.

I'm having a large cookout in my backyard Saturday. I got some BioAdvanced hose spray treatment for weeds & bugs. I'm mainly concerned about the small cloud of "lawn gnats" that occasionally spring up.

If it was just a few friends coming over I wouldn't be concerned, but this is about 40 people, spouses & children included. And kind of a fundraiser for Jack's Basket. https://www.jacksbasket.org/events/burgers-and-baskets
Probably a dumb question, but what is Jack’s basket?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Probably a dumb question, but what is Jack’s basket?

See the link above.

My son, my homie with an extra chromie, has down syndrome.

We were aware this was a possibility before hand. But, we weren't completely informed on what to expect when we left the hospital after 4 days in the NICU.

My wife was already in a FB group of older moms & started asking questions. They asked if she had received a Jack's Basket & put her in touch with someone.

Two days later a mom of a child with down syndrome came to visit us with a basket. The first thing she said was Congratulations, & not I'm sorry.

This small non-profit organization, & this mom in particular, opened our eyes to a whole network of national & local support systems, including Upside of Downs. We've met parents & children through this overwhelmingly open & supportive community.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
See the link above.

We were aware this was a possibility before hand. But, we weren't completely informed on what to expect when we left the hospital after 4 days in the NICU.

My wife was already in a FB group of older moms & started asking questions. They asked if she had received a Jack's Basket & put her in touch with someone.

Two days later a mom of a child with down syndrome came to visit us with a basket. The first thing she said was Congratulations, & not I'm sorry.

This small non-profit organization, & this mom in particular, opened our eyes to a whole network of national & local support systems, including Upside of Downs. We've met parents & children through this overwhelmingly open & supportive community.

Awesome story!!

Seeing their innocence and joy always brings joy to the heart. I've personally known a few that were much better humans than me.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
See the link above.

How can I donate to your fundraiser?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I have a dumb question.

The level of stealth here is impressive, Cochise. Tip of hat. I’ll be donating.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
How can I donate to your fundraiser?

Click the link in my OP. Look at the top right, there's a GIVE option.

I want to make it perfectly clear that this is not MY foundation, nor does anything you give, or we collect, go to me or my family. It all goes to Jack's Basket so more baskets can be purchased and put together. I don't know all the details of this particular non-profit for we've just recently been aware of it (my boy is 4 moths old). My wife tells me that a big Burgers and Baskets event took place in Tupelo last weekend.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I have a dumb question.

Awesome Possum.
I’ll tell you the best product I have used for gnats/mosquitoes. A fogger. I have this one and if I fog at noon we will not have bugs all day and night.

Jwsjr

Oct 8, 2013

Curious as ti the best professional chemical would be best to use in a backpack gas fogger? I live on water with boathouse so flying insects and spiders are a nuisance. I spray both the yard and boathouse currently but cannot totally eliminate them so thiking of fogging periodically as well.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Curious as ti the best professional chemical would be best to use in a backpack gas fogger? I live on water with boathouse so flying insects and spiders are a nuisance. I spray both the yard and boathouse currently but cannot totally eliminate them so thiking of fogging periodically as well.
Not sure. The only thing i question is is effectiveness in wind which being on the water I assume you have plenty.

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
I have a dumb question.

How did the BBQ go? What was served? And why wasn't I invited??

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
How did the BBQ go? What was served? And why wasn't I invited??

It went well. It was just burgers, the theme is Burgers and Baskets.

Ok, I did a few dozen dogs for the kids, and the women had fruit platters and what not inside, but I never saw any of it. I manned the grill for most of the event. Frozen burgers are the bane of my existence, but I guess it was easier that way with so many guests.

We surpassed our goal for Jack's Basket and in two weeks we're doing it again in my parents' back yard (we just have to show up to that one) so hopefully we can double it. We split it up for neither of us wanted to host 80-100 people and the mixing of generations is less fun for both groups.

Thanks for the lawn advice, the bugs were near non-existent, and for those of you who chose to donate to Jack's Basket.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login