Twelve years ago today Rick Ray was hired.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Ah, the good times . . .

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I feel like I’m a pretty knowledgeable college hoops fan and was back then too, but I’m not lying when I tell you I had never heard of the guy or even seen his name until it was announced we were hiring him.
I have a friend that might be one of the most knowledgeable college basketball fans in America. He could probably tell you the coach and starting five for Wisconsin-Milwaukee no joke. When State hired Rick Ray is legitimately didnt know the first thing about him or where he was from.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I have a friend that might be one of the most knowledgeable college basketball fans in America. He could probably tell you the coach and starting five for Wisconsin-Milwaukee no joke. When State hired Rick Ray is legitimately didnt know the first thing about him or where he was from.

I can remember a bunch of the names that were thrown out during that search and none of them were Rick Ray. Kenny Payne was almost the hire. Steve Prohm turned us down twice. We reached out to Frank Martin but he picked South Carolina over us. Bryce Drew said no. Rob Jeter (ironically the coach at Wisconsin-Milwaukee at that time) was in the mix. Kermit Davis got some message board support but Stricklin had major NCAA phobia and was afraid of anyone with baggage (also Kermit hadn’t done much at MTSU yet).

My understanding is Scott was set to hire Kenny Payne and then got cold feet because of Kenny’s AAU ties. So we went with someone who had even less business being a candidate.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Craig Sword stand up!!!

Joking aside I feel bad for some of those kids who played for him the whole time.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Stricklin said he didn't realize how bad State was viewed nationally at that time in coaching circles. I'm guessing he fired Stansbury before he did that research.

He 100% got rid of Stans without a replacement plan in place. It’s probably the worst coaching search we’ve ever conducted in the modern era and a major black mark on Scott’s legacy here (although most are just mad at him for hiring Mullen away).

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The weird thing about Stricklin’s tenure is he never had to hire a football coach or a baseball coach. And also he had to hire a women’s coach at the same time as Ray and absolutely struck gold with Schaefer. But the way this was handled was a nuke to our men’s program.

He did better in his second attempt with the Howland hire but also had the benefit of Howland being out of coaching completely and just working TV for the PAC-12 network at the time.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like I’m a pretty knowledgeable college hoops fan and was back then too, but I’m not lying when I tell you I had never heard of the guy or even seen his name until it was announced we were hiring him.
I can remember being on my couch in my apartment thinking "who the hell is that?"

I also remember being at 5 guys in a foley, Alabama when he was fired.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
He 100% got rid of Stans without a replacement plan in place. It’s probably the worst coaching search we’ve ever conducted in the modern era and a major black mark on Scott’s legacy here (although most are just mad at him for hiring Mullen away).
The narrative that entire season was that it was NCAA tourney or gone for Stansbury, but Stricklin still did not have a plan.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The narrative that entire season was that it was NCAA tourney or gone for Stansbury, but Stricklin still did not have a plan.

To be fair, that team missing the tourney was inconceivable at one point in early February. Then just totally collapsed against the soft part of our schedule. But yes, could not believe he made THAT decision to fire Stansbury with no idea where he was going next.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacher_dawg

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
My understanding is Scott was set to hire Kenny Payne and then got cold feet because of Kenny’s AAU ties. So we went with someone who had even less business being a candidate.
Ironically, we now know that Stricklin at least chose the better coach out of Ray and Payne.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Ironically, we now know that Stricklin at least chose the better coach out of Ray and Payne.
Stricklin was getting a lot of pressure from very influential boosters possibly including some former players to hire Kenny Payne. The story at the time was that World Wide Wes would be on the staff.. Scott was navigating a minefield internally, but damned that hire was a swing & a miss.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
The funny thing is that the “coaching search” when Williams “left” was probably even worse. Never even went outside Starkville. LT told Stans to just make the NIT every now and then, and it’s all gravy after that.

The Rick Ray fiasco summed up Stricklin’s tenure for me. The Howland hire seemed like a home run until the Adidas recruiting pipeline closed. So, even that was a meh hire in hindsight.

I don’t get his value as an AD at all. And I definitely don’t get why Florida wanted him, unless it’s because they wanted jellyfish as their AD.

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Shall we recall the misery?
SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2012–13Mississippi State10–224–14T–12th
2013–14Mississippi State14–193–1514th
2014–15Mississippi State13–196–12T–11th
Mississippi State:37–60 (.381)13–41 (.241)
Somehow that 10-22 record doesn’t do it justice. Think we got beat 70something to 30something by both Mizzou and Vandy that year. Never had less confidence in a State team than those 3 years.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The funny thing is that the “coaching search” when Williams “left” was probably even worse. Never even went outside Starkville. LT told Stans to just make the NIT every now and then, and it’s all gravy after that.

The Rick Ray fiasco summed up Stricklin’s tenure for me. The Howland hire seemed like a home run until the Adidas recruiting pipeline closed. So, even that was a meh hire in hindsight.

I don’t get his value as an AD at all. And I definitely don’t get why Florida wanted him, unless it’s because they wanted jellyfish as their AD.

Scott is good at facilities and marketing but that’s kinda the whole package with him. He’s not exactly trustworthy with coaching searches. And it may get him run out of Gainesville if Sun Belt Billy flops this fall.

Reactions: eckie1

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Somehow that 10-22 record doesn’t do it justice. Think we got beat 70something to 30something by both Mizzou and Vandy that year. Never had less confidence in a State team than those 3 years.

10-22 in that era of the SEC is especially bad. We didn’t even finish last in the SEC that year thanks to Tony Barbee’s Auburn. And we beat a South Carolina team twice that was every bit as bad as we were. I believe the SEC was only a 3 bid league that year and one of them was Ole Miss who got in via winning the SECT.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Well...now we've got a "just make tourney every once in a while". No wins necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
17 that panzied *** former male cheerleader from Jackson Prep.
He literally nuked our basketball program for more than a generation. The same thing he has done with Florida football. He is a 17 joke.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Rick Ray was so bad, he had a 13-game losing streak in back to back seasons. In 2013, we lost a home game to Missouri 78-36. Our very next home game, we lost to Vanderbilt 72-31. That is correct, an SEC team barely scored over 30 points in a 40 minute game.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Rick Ray was so bad, he had a 13-game losing streak in back to back seasons. In 2013, we lost a home game to Missouri 78-36. Our very next home game, we lost to Vanderbilt 72-31. That is correct, an SEC team barely scored over 30 points in a 40 minute game.
Had we given him one more year, we were probably in the final four, elite eight at least. Bring him home.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I can remember a bunch of the names that were thrown out during that search and none of them were Rick Ray. Kenny Payne was almost the hire. Steve Prohm turned us down twice. We reached out to Frank Martin but he picked South Carolina over us. Bryce Drew said no. Rob Jeter (ironically the coach at Wisconsin-Milwaukee at that time) was in the mix. Kermit Davis got some message board support but Stricklin had major NCAA phobia and was afraid of anyone with baggage (also Kermit hadn’t done much at MTSU yet).

This was the thing...Stricklin was adamant about cutting ties with AAU. A noble idea, but he didn't realize no coach would come here with that type of recruiting restriction.

I was playing golf with a Clemson alum the day after the hire. He was trying to be upbeat and supportive, bur even he didn't know much about Ray.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
He almost got enough players to play a scrimmage at practice. Almost.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login