Two Sport Thoughts

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
With what Lemo is building, you better be damn committed to baseball to be able to beat out your counterparts and see any playing time at all. That has to be a deterrent to guys thinking of playing football/baseball and I mean that in the best way. He's bringing in studs left and right.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But for Lem he gets a guy that football is paying for so there can be a benefit for baseball

Feb 23, 2008
I think the days of two sport players are pretty much over. It sounds good as a

recruiting pitch but there's just no way you can make it work. Especially here as you said with all the talent we are signing every year in baseball. Spring football is huge to development but so is fall baseball. To the point that now they're even playing games against conference opponents. A Bo Jackson could make it work strictly off talent alone but that's one in a billion.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
recruiting pitch but there's just no way you can make it work. Especially here as you said with all the talent we are signing every year in baseball. Spring football is huge to development but so is fall baseball. To the point that now they're even playing games against conference opponents. A Bo Jackson could make it work strictly off talent alone but that's one in a billion.

^^^this^^^

It sounds nice but in practice it is very rare to pull it off. The advantage for Baseball is you can get a guy on football Scholarship and for football is you get a guy that may not have come otherwise. I see still offering them the chance but I don't see anyone pulling it off. I do think a defensive player would have an easier time of it since timing is less an issue.

They generally will have to pick a sport if they ever want to be a starter in either.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I tend to agree, at the college level. Strength and conditioning have come so far that you really need that offseason, to train for your specific sport. Bo's and Deion's don't come around too often, and honestly, they were rare for the 80s and 90s.

I still advocate kids playing multiple sports, though. However, once your body is nearly done growing in high school, it really depends on your talent level. If you're not top-flight talent, you may benefit from additional S&C there too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I do agree with you, but the exception that proves the rule is on our football and baseball teams right now. I was amazed he had as good a season in baseball last year as he did with the limited practice time. But even then, it leaves me wondering how good he could be at baseball if he played full-time.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Exactly, imagine where he'd be today if he only played baseball in college.
Well, he might not be at MSU, considering football paid his scholarship up to this point. Unless he was willing to walk on I suppose.

But again, he's a hell of an athlete (though not elite), and the type that could make it work for a while. We will find out what he's really got this year, as he's been seeing live reps all summer and fall, unlike before.

I wonder what Ealy and Plumlee will do at Ole Miss. Is Ealy going pro in football this year? Seems like he probably could. No idea what Plumlee should do, he's more of a tweener in both sports. Does he try to play QB again?

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login