Two things always cross my mind this time of year

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Man you aren’t kidding. I cut grass yesterday and had to take a break between the front and back yard. How did I run 2 miles in pads in this heat?

Reactions: Double Dawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Back in the day, the formula was that salt tablets and no water make you strong.
Everyone as should read "Junction Boys" about Bear's first training camp at A&M. The movie doesn't do it justice. Bear considered water breaks to be for weaklings. Most of the players needed their scholarship to stay in school, so the QB kept practicing even though he had a fractured spine.

But, yeah, I got out of breath and dizzy just walking up a big hill yesterday.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
no doubt........I have bee hives and I had to get into them yesterday afternoon, around 5pm.....being in that bee suit felt like it was going to kill me.....gets worse as you get older i suppose

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Fast forward to today
The MHSAA changed heat rules that if it is 105+ heat index you are not allowed to practice outdoors. So, basically any time it’s 92+ in Mississippi it no one can practice. If people actually follow the rule then no one will be practicing until October. Fuckking stupid

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Lord, I remember two-a-days and almost have a panic attack just thinking about it-it’s a wonder more players didn’t die right there on the practice fields. Our water source was a water hose connected to a spigot in one of the end zones. The coaches basically dared you to mention the term “water”-anyone who needed water was a pu$$y back in those days. The last coach I played for would allow you to get a drink of water-but if you did, there was a severe price to pay for doing so. The price was at the end of practice you had to wait until everyone else had entered the field house-and they were all waiting for you with belts in hand. The “belt line” would make you think king and hard about getting a drink of water. I never did it, but I remember guys bleeding through their pants/jerseys after going through that. Oh, and if you failed to get your belt out and participate they would send you through the belt line. I swear, most of those old school coaches would be in jail these days. They were straight-up sadistic.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Lord, I remember two-a-days and almost have a panic attack just thinking about it-it’s a wonder more players didn’t die right there on the practice fields. Our water source was a water hose connected to a spigot in one of the end zones. The coaches basically dared you to mention the term “water”-anyone who needed water was a pu$$y back in those days. The last coach I played for would allow you to get a drink of water-but if you did, there was a severe price to pay for doing so. The price was at the end of practice you had to wait until everyone else had entered the field house-and they were all waiting for you with belts in hand. The “belt line” would make you think king and hard about getting a drink of water. I never did it, but I remember guys bleeding through their pants/jerseys after going through that. Oh, and if you failed to get your belt out and participate they would send you through the belt line. I swear, most of those old school coaches would be in jail these days. They were straight-up sadistic.
We had a spigot as well, but you had to get down on your hands and knees to get a drink because we didn't have a hose. It's a far cry from today here in Texas. I used to live down the street from one of the high school coaches. He told me that they have a watering station set up on the edge of the practice field and they can go get a drink of water and take a quick break during any time at practice.

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Good Lord. It's hot but it ain't nothing new and it's not THAT debilitating. Is it the most enjoyable thing right now? No. But I do plenty of work out there and I survive. Golf is also not that bad in the heat. I like getting in the water too.

It's really crazy how accustomed to AC we've all gotten. And as far as our kids - holy hell at the enablement. I'm not saying to go back to Bear Bryant days but I know parents that will say their kid just isn't a 'hot weather child'. Bunch of damn fairies.

I will say this - it's no fun just sitting in the sun, like at an MSU football game in September. But again, it's about the fun, not that I can't take it or something.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I put my AC on 76-78 in the summer, and go outside as much as I can. Same for winter except I keep the heater on 66-68. I think it's natural to go with the seasons.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Good Lord. It's hot but it ain't nothing new and it's not THAT debilitating. Is it the most enjoyable thing right now? No. But I do plenty of work out there and I survive. Golf is also not that bad in the heat. I like getting in the water too.

It's really crazy how accustomed to AC we've all gotten. And as far as our kids - holy hell at the enablement. I'm not saying to go back to Bear Bryant days but I know parents that will say their kid just isn't a 'hot weather child'. Bunch of damn fairies.

I will say this - it's no fun just sitting in the sun, like at an MSU football game in September. But again, it's about the fun, not that I can't take it or something.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I put my AC on 76-78 in the summer, and go outside as much as I can. Same for winter except I keep the heater on 66-68. I think it's natural to go with the seasons.
It's the acclimation. I used to be that way, but now I have a wife that keeps it on 70 and I rarely work outdoors as of a couple years ago. Feels like 150 the second i step outside, I can feel the strength just fleeing my body. I put off outdoor work till the evening and just press on.

The too-frequent hot games and an AD that doesn't appear to give a damn about it was my main reason for dropping season tickets this year. One game like that is fine, two is tolerable. But 3 or 4, out of 6 or 7? 17 you, I'm not paying that much money for that.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I picked my son up at practice yesterday. He was complaining about the heat and I asked him what if you did this twice a day for a few weeks? “You old people are crazy”

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
I remember my first two-a-day in high school. My buddies and I left after the first practice to go hang at one of their houses for a bit to cool off, ended up eating a bunch of junk food and laying around. Once it came time to start up on the second practice, we paid for that mistake.

However, I wouldn’t trade those memories for the world. I still get a nostalgic feeling every time I smell fresh cut grass in late July. I’d give anything to go out there with old high school buddies one more time and play a Friday night game against our cross-county rivals.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I remember my first two-a-day in high school. My buddies and I left after the first practice to go hang at one of their houses for a bit to cool off, ended up eating a bunch of junk food and laying around. Once it came time to start up on the second practice, we paid for that mistake.

However, I wouldn’t trade those memories for the world. I still get a nostalgic feeling every time I smell fresh cut grass in late July. I’d give anything to go out there with old high school buddies one more time and play a Friday night game against our cross-county rivals.
We had an additional building on my parents property….eventually put an air conditioner in there about the time I finished jr high. Added a dart board, hand me down big bubble tv and a small pool table.

Half the team would be there during the “in between” of two a days, playing booray and Cadillac, NFL blitz and frozen pizzas. Not a shower in sight, and would roll back to the 2nd practice all surged up….if y’all remember Surge drink.

Etched in my memories, absolutely the times of our lives!

many of us would puke on the first day but by Friday, we were all ready to drink Old Charter again. I miss the days without cell phones…….way less anxiety and 100% camaraderie. Sadly, my children will never know this feeling

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Same in Army training camp. The idea back then (50s, 60s, and earlier) was that marching all day with no water would “toughen you up.” It did but a few paid with heat stroke.
Back in the day, the formula was that salt tablets and no water make you strong.
in

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I had a coach who was big on having his running backs explode from their three point stance on the snap. He would stand behind a running back with his paddle with holes drilled in it. The paddle was going to be swinging on the snap. I don’t remember any running back, who ever was able to explode enough to avoid that swinging paddle.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login