Tyler Van Dyke enters transfer portal

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
Id say zero chance.

We have a wayyyyyyyy better chance at our QB currently living in Norman.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I see people getting all fired up about these portal QBs, we've seen this movie before. Jackie couldn't do it, Danny couldn't do it, Moorhead couldn't do it. We just continually strike out there. About the only one who was actually signing QBs, portal or high school, with name cache who pan out was Leach and we won't know how that would have ended.

I recognize that we are now in the immediate eligibility portal era but the basics stay the same.

I also haven't seen where any team truly benefitted from these 6th year guys either. It's like if you haven't done it by your 4th year, then you ain't got it. Good role players I suppose, and there are a few, like Jordan Travis. But they aren't the norm. I'm about ready for this COVID extra year nonsense to be in the rear view mirror.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I see people getting all fired up about these portal QBs, we've seen this movie before. Jackie couldn't do it, Danny couldn't do it, Moorhead couldn't do it.
Is this a troll attempt? The portal didn’t even exist for any of those 3 coaches, so they were all limited to grad transfers who were either established back-ups or otherwise not guaranteed to be starting. The landscape was totally different. Even still, Moorhead brought in Tommy Stevens who had a 137 passer rating in 2019 and averaged 4.6 yards per carry on the ground. He was a good player that just couldn’t stay healthy. We’ve had an established multi-year starter the entire time that the portal has existed, and thus we’ve never really had an opportunity to use it at the QB position until now.

We just continually strike out there. About the only one who was actually signing QBs, portal or high school, with name cache who pan out was Leach and we won't know how that would have ended.
We don’t continue to strike out. We haven’t even had an at-bat yet.

I recognize that we are now in the immediate eligibility portal era but the basics stay the same.
This is complete nonsense. The “immediate eligibility era” means that absolutely nothing is the same as it was even 2 years ago. We had no option whatsoever to immediately get a solid G5 starter, a backup from LSU or Bama, or a veteran good-but-not-elite QB like Dillon Gabriel who might be on the market so the young 5* stud can take over.

I also haven't seen where any team truly benefitted from these 6th year guys either. It's like if you haven't done it by your 4th year, then you ain't got it.
So you think a 6th year Dillon Gabriel or KJ Jefferson would not be awesome pick-ups for us? The “haven’t done it by your 4th year” isn’t even a thing anymore. You no longer even have to wait that long to get somebody.

Last edited:

JoeFuller

Oct 2, 2023
Only with Dick’s blessing
album van GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is this a troll attempt? The portal didn’t even exist for any of those 3 coaches, so they were all limited to grad transfers who were either established back-ups or otherwise not guaranteed to be starting. The landscape was totally different. Even still, Moorhead brought in Tommy Stevens who had a 137 passer rating in 2019 and averaged 4.6 yards per carry on the ground. He was a good player that just couldn’t stay healthy. We’ve had an established multi-year starter the entire time that the portal has existed, and thus we’ve never really had an opportunity to use it at the QB position until now.

We don’t continue to strike out. We haven’t even had an at-bat yet.

This is complete nonsense. The “immediate eligibility era” means that absolutely nothing is the same as it was even 2 years ago. We had no option whatsoever to immediately get a solid G5 starter, a backup from LSU or Bama, or a veteran good-but-not-elite QB like Dillon Gabriel who might be on the market so the young 5* stud can take over.

So you think a 6th year Dillon Gabriel or KJ Jefferson would not be awesome pick-ups for us? The “haven’t done it by your 4th year” isn’t even a thing anymore. You know longer even have to wait that long to get somebody.
Cam left us at the altar. Stevens didn't pan out. Costello might have, if not for COVID, but ultimately didn't. And wake me up when we actually sign Gabriel or Jefferson.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I also haven't seen where any team truly benefitted from these 6th year guys either. It's like if you haven't done it by your 4th year, then you ain't got it. Good role players I suppose, and there are a few, like Jordan Travis. But they aren't the norm. I'm about ready for this COVID extra year nonsense to be in the rear view mirror.
Joe Burrow and LSU say hello....

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I see people getting all fired up about these portal QBs, we've seen this movie before. Jackie couldn't do it, Danny couldn't do it, Moorhead couldn't do it. We just continually strike out there. About the only one who was actually signing QBs, portal or high school, with name cache who pan out was Leach and we won't know how that would have ended.

Leach brought in Costello, who was a one-hit wonder, so I wouldn't say he panned out either. Sigh, we'll always have that LSU game, KJ.

That being said, the transfer portal is not the same today as it was during Jackie, Mullen, or even Moorhead's tenure. It used to be a novelty and a way to backfill certain positions, but now it's become a key part of a lot of good teams' identities.

A good transfer QB can make a team. See:
Joe Burrow at LSU in 2019
Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma in 2019
Kyler Murray at Oklahoma in 2018
Caleb Williams at USC in 2022
DJ Uiagelelei at Oregon State in 2023
Quinn Ewers at Texas in 2022 and 2023
Bo Nix at Oregon in 2023
Michael Penix at Washington in 2023
Jayden Daniels at LSU in 2022 and 2023

I can go on, but you get the point. The transfer portal is here to stay and we'd be foolish not to be excited about the possibility of getting good players out of it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Joe Burrow and LSU say hello....
Leach brought in Costello, who was a one-hit wonder, so I wouldn't say he panned out either. Sigh, we'll always have that LSU game, KJ.

That being said, the transfer portal is not the same today as it was during Jackie, Mullen, or even Moorhead's tenure. It used to be a novelty and a way to backfill certain positions, but now it's become a key part of a lot of good teams' identities.

A good transfer QB can make a team. See:
Joe Burrow at LSU in 2019
Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma in 2019
Kyler Murray at Oklahoma in 2018
Caleb Williams at USC in 2022
DJ Uiagelelei at Oregon State in 2023
Quinn Ewers at Texas in 2022 and 2023
Bo Nix at Oregon in 2023
Michael Penix at Washington in 2023
Jayden Daniels at LSU in 2022 and 2023

I can go on, but you get the point. The transfer portal is here to stay and we'd be foolish not to be excited about the possibility of getting good players out of it.
Most of those guys aren't 6th year guys, some are grad guys, and either way, MISSISSIPPI STATE hasn't been in the mix for the guys who are good enough to pan out. The teams who benefit from recrootin in the old days are the ones who benefit from it now, and that ain't never been us. That's my point.

I'm very jaded now with how the Leach Era went, from COVID to his death. We'd have been much better in 2020, fans would have been more fired up, and then long term no telling what happens. Just....damn. Because yes, Costello was that guy early on, Rogers did fine in the interim, and Locke would have been the guy long term.

Bottom line, without a coach with name coache who can attract these guys, I won't get excited for a top level portal QB until I see it actually happen.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Cam left us at the altar. Stevens didn't pan out. Costello might have, if not for COVID, but ultimately didn't. And wake me up when we actually sign Gabriel or Jefferson.
Cam left us because we couldn’t pay what was required. He’d be here if we did.

Stevens panned out just fine when he was on the field. Statistically we’ve had nobody better as a a true dual threat than he was besides Dak and Relf.

Costello was a unique situation. COVID had nothing to do with his demise….he had a complete mental breakdown and started seeing ghosts. But he obviously had the ability to be great before that happened.

And again, all of those guys were before the current era. We don’t need a Cam, or even a Gabriel / Jefferson. There are almost 140 FBS schools, and at least 100 of them have a QB who could greatly improve their situation by coming to MSU. If just one of those 100 is better than Will Rogers, we are a better football team. End of story.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cam left us because we couldn’t pay what was required. He’d be here if we did.

Stevens panned out just fine when he was on the field. Statistically we’ve had nobody better as a a true dual threat than he was besides Dak and Relf.

Costello was a unique situation. COVID had nothing to do with his demise….he had a complete mental breakdown and started seeing ghosts. But he obviously had the ability to be great before that happened.

And again, all of those guys were before the current era. We don’t need a Cam, or even a Gabriel / Jefferson. There are almost 140 FBS schools, and at least 100 of them have a QB who could greatly improve their situation by coming to MSU. If just one of those 100 is better than Will Rogers, we are a better football team. End of story.
You're attempting to argue some specific situation that's not there. My point is that we've had trouble signing impact QBs and every time people get all fired up about one, the carpet gets yanked.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You're attempting to argue some specific situation that's not there. My point is that we've had trouble signing impact QBs and every time people get all fired up about one, the carpet gets yanked.
Well it did with Cam. I mean who else?

Stevens again was pretty good all things considered. Costello was a disappointment obviously. That’s really the only 3 times anyone’s ever “been fired up” about a QB. One was a good addition to a bumbling offensive system, one didn’t come, one set every SEC passing record on fire and then turned into Mark Wohlers.

You’re trying to bring out this profound conclusion from a tiny sample size of only 3 players over 15 years.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
It’s now a different era. It’s time to go. You are arguing with yourself. We will have a new QB every year unless the returning QB is elite. If not, we will throw the sumbitch back in the water and fish for another lunker. Only Lunkers will win the contest. I believe Leb has been around enough fisherman to see the light. Watch it unfold…

The best we can hope for is to have him for 3/4 years….because if he gets it, like I hope he does, bigger boats will be calling….which means, he did a fine job here feeding the masses.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login