UAB's loss COULD put Ole Miss a step closer

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
to making the tourney if they win a couple more. Theory being, Ole Miss takes UAB's spot on the last four out (instead of next four out) as of right now.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Honestly, with the bubble teams that have been losing, we should be a lock to make it if we beat UGA and UK. In a normal year, the season we've had wouldn't be enough with just 2 more wins, but this year, it'll be a virtual lock if we win 2 more.

In typical Ole Miss fashion though, we'll beat UGA and lose by 20 to UK and be one of the last teams out.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
These are the teams they have to pass in order to get there, in order of not very close to in to right on the doorstep to the last four in(heading into today):
Villanova - lost
St. Joe's - up 8 in the second half
Dayton - lost
UAB - lost
VCU - season over, could be passed with a good win
Florida - plays Bama tonight
Ohio State - tomorrow against Michigan State
Arizona State - lost to USC
New Mexico - plays Utah tonight
Illinois State - season finished, could be passed with a good win
UMass - plays Charlotte tonight

They needed to pass 8 and have already passed three without even taking the court. I say they're playing for a spot in the tournament tomorrow.

Edited to update for the AZ St - USC game. Now four down, four to go.

SoxFan343

Feb 25, 2008
Typical Ole Miss would be to either screw around and lose tonight or to lose to UK in a heartbreak game and be the last team left out. If we make Friday, we may not win, but we will play well.

I'm very concerned about tonight.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I think it'd be hard for them to fall out at this point, but that's about as bad of a loss as anyone will take over the weekend.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
don't want Arkansas getting a chance to play Vandy. If they beat them, you're pretty much SOL. They won't take 6 from the SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hadn't thought about that. But an Arkansas loss to Vandy probably won't be enough to drop them from the tournament. But a loss to Auburn would. Of course, that would require Auburn to win two tough games when they haven't won any all season.

Oxford Godfrey

May 29, 2007
Just wanting to make sure Arkansas went 0-1 in the SECT by Vandy. If Auburn upset Vandy (they didn't) I doubt they would've hung with the Hogs. At least this way Arkansas could lose out and we could (in theory) go 2-1.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Although, I disagree with the sentiment that we can't get 6 in. If the bubble teams from all of the other conferences keep losing, we can get six in.

Everyone involved swears that they don't consider how many teams should get in from each conference; they look at each team on a case-by-case basis.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think if everything fell into place and all the stars aligned the SEC could conceivably get as many as 7 in the tournament:

Definitely in no matter what:

Tenn
Vandy
MSU

Probably in no matter what:
Kentucky
Arkansas

Mississippi - needs at least 2 wins
Florida - needs at least 1 win

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
even though I don't want to see it, but the UM and MSU boards would be quite comical if either Upig or ole miss made it to the sweet 16 and MSU did their typical choke job..

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login