UCLA's flights this season

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
So much for the left coast tree huggers. These conference that have little to no regional affiliation with some of its members is just flat out ridiculous. Just like today's announcement of Cal and Stanford to the ACC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And that's just for football. They have 10 more men's sports plus 14 women's sports. Most all of which play more games than football. It's ridiculous.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Hawaii is the furthest trip. So if LA to Rutgers is shorter than LA to Hawaii, that means Hawaii travels substantially longer for their football road trips every year. Since they've been pulling this off for years on a small budget, then UCLA wont have any issues with a Big Ten budget.

I'm not claiming this is the smartest thing for UCLA athletics, but just pointing out there is another school that's been handling these massive commutes for years with far fewer resources.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I do not understand how this is feasible in the long term. Football, sure whatever, they'll do it a few times. But, for some nonrevenue producing sports, they will spend half a semester out of classes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I do not understand how this is feasible in the long term. Football, sure whatever, they'll do it a few times. But, for some nonrevenue producing sports, they will spend half a semester out of classes.
I'm assuming at some point they are going to remove a lot of sports from these spread out conferences. Not sure how much the TV networks value conference content for sports like volleyball and women's soccer. Really they should probably have a football conference and an everything else conference, or maybe a football conference and men's basketball conference, although the politics of that might be difficult.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Hawaii is the furthest trip. So if LA to Rutgers is shorter than LA to Hawaii, that means Hawaii travels substantially longer for their football road trips every year. Since they've been pulling this off for years on a small budget, then UCLA wont have any issues with a Big Ten budget.

I'm not claiming this is the smartest thing for UCLA athletics, but just pointing out there is another school that's been handling these massive commutes for years with far fewer resources.
Just looked at a few schedule flights on Flight Aware. LA to Honolulu was 5 hrs 20 minutes. LA to JFK in NY (closest destination I could find to Rutgers) was 5 hrs 33 minutes so that shouldn't be an issue, just minutes difference.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login