UGA preview

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Georgia started off surprisingly strong this year. They opened up 12-3 and 2-0 in the SEC but have now dropped three straight and 5 of the last 7, but all of them were close. Lost by 10 to USC, 9 to Bama, 4 in OT to Florida, 9 to Kentucky, and 6 to Tennessee. They are certainly good enough to beat us and desperate for a win.

Things to watch with Georgia
  • Their offense is average but it in part depends on the free throw line. They get there a lot and shoot it fairly well. Abdur-Rahim and Melendez are almost automatic. We have been pretty good about not fouling, but being aware of not fouling needs to be an emphasis tonight.
  • They are an average to poor rebounding team. Controlling the glass is an absolute must.
  • They are also a relatively poor defensive team. Teams shoot well against them, they don't block a lot of shots nor force a lot of turnovers. The one thing they have done well is defend the 3. Of course they don't even have to try and defend it against us and we will still only make about 30%.
Georgia calls most of their rotation players guards, but they are all kinda big. Abdur-Rahim is 6-8 and Melendez is 6-7. If Jones starts for DJ I guess he draws Abdur-Rahim who takes 70% of his shots from 3, and Cam starts on Melendez, who takes 60% of his shots from 2. Thomasson takes the most shots on the team, so I would think Shak on him. That leaves Hub with Demary giving up 6 inches. Two main subs off the bench are Hill and Cain. Both like to shoot the three, especially Cain. Any points that Georgia gets from their post players are a surprise. That's mainly two guys who together average about 10 and 10.

I see that we are giving 7.5 tonight. That seems like a lot to me, especially for a team that is going to struggle to protect a late lead at the line. We would have to have a 10-12 point lead going into the last two minutes for me to feel good about covering that. I would not feel great about covering or even winning if we have a 3-5 point lead going into the last two minutes.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m a little concerned about how we are going to defend in our first game without Jeffries. But gotta have this one.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Georiga won in FSU, Won in South Carolina. They've played Kentucky tough at Rupp. They went to Miami and played. They arent going to be intimidated at all.

They see us as a team they can beat and get back on track. They just finished a tough 6 game stretch for them as well, and feel like theyve got a 4 game stretch (us, vandy, florida, arkansas) where if they go 4-0, they are on the right side of the bubble.

Its a game where we'll have to play well to win... the winner of this game will remain in the tournament hunt.. and it'll be a big hit to the resume of the loser of this game. This is one of those separation games in the middle tier of the conference tonight.

All that said, if we are the team we think we are. It should be a game we win. The odds makers view it the same way.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Georgia started off surprisingly strong this year. They opened up 12-3 and 2-0 in the SEC but have now dropped three straight and 5 of the last 7, but all of them were close. Lost by 10 to USC, 9 to Bama, 4 in OT to Florida, 9 to Kentucky, and 6 to Tennessee. They are certainly good enough to beat us and desperate for a win.

Things to watch with Georgia
  • Their offense is average but it in part depends on the free throw line. They get there a lot and shoot it fairly well. Abdur-Rahim and Melendez are almost automatic. We have been pretty good about not fouling, but being aware of not fouling needs to be an emphasis tonight.
  • They are an average to poor rebounding team. Controlling the glass is an absolute must.
  • They are also a relatively poor defensive team. Teams shoot well against them, they don't block a lot of shots nor force a lot of turnovers. The one thing they have done well is defend the 3. Of course they don't even have to try and defend it against us and we will still only make about 30%.
Georgia calls most of their rotation players guards, but they are all kinda big. Abdur-Rahim is 6-8 and Melendez is 6-7. If Jones starts for DJ I guess he draws Abdur-Rahim who takes 70% of his shots from 3, and Cam starts on Melendez, who takes 60% of his shots from 2. Thomasson takes the most shots on the team, so I would think Shak on him. That leaves Hub with Demary giving up 6 inches. Two main subs off the bench are Hill and Cain. Both like to shoot the three, especially Cain. Any points that Georgia gets from their post players are a surprise. That's mainly two guys who together average about 10 and 10.

I see that we are giving 7.5 tonight. That seems like a lot to me, especially for a team that is going to struggle to protect a late lead at the line. We would have to have a 10-12 point lead going into the last two minutes for me to feel good about covering that. I would not feel great about covering or even winning if we have a 3-5 point lead going into the last two minutes.

Big guys: Tchewe isnt a bad player. He's 7 foot and strong. He averaged 11 and 8 last season. And has had 3 very good games here recently.

Georgia plays a more up to date offense where they have 4 guards on the floor with length. But they do have a big that can match up with Tulo.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Big guys: Tchewe isnt a bad player. He's 7 foot and strong. He averaged 11 and 8 last season. And has had 3 very good games here recently.

Georgia plays a more up to date offense where they have 4 guards on the floor with length. But they do have a big that can match up with Tulo.

Agreed. He's not terrible, but he's just not a priority in their offense. He only gets about five shots a game. I would suspect some of those shots follow offensive rebounds that he gets. Keep him off the glass and he is almost a non-factor, at least offensively.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login