Uh-oh, Dan

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Syracuse hired Fran Brown, a Georgia assistant coach to be head coach, not Mullen

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
NIL didn't start until a couple of months before Mullen was fired. Dubmass.
I love it when folks don't check dates make idiotic comments. NIL became effective 1 July 2021. Mullen got fired in 21 Nov 2021. He had the 2021 football season, plus a couple months leading up to that.

5 months, fertile recruiting grounds, one of the top programs in the country and almost unlimited resources and he didn't move the needle.

Furthermore, signing day is the third week in December, so most coaches just don't take the summer and fall off from recruiting.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I love it when folks don't check dates make idiotic comments. NIL became effective 1 July 2021. Mullen got fired in 21 Nov 2021. He had the 2021 football season, plus a couple months leading up to that.

5 months, fertile recruiting grounds, one of the top programs in the country and almost unlimited resources and he didn't move the needle.

Furthermore, signing day is the third week in December, so most coaches just don't take the summer and fall off from recruiting.
Soooo.....he was right. You were wrong.

Reactions: BulldawgFan

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Looks like this is a hire in the realm of Dabo, Orgeron, etc. It'll be all about if he hires good coordinators, and actually understands that his strength is recrootin. Joe Judge was kind of in this mold, and honestly, so was King Jackie in a way.

I think Croom would have been much more successful had he taken this route.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Soooo.....he was right. You were wrong.
nana changing GIF

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Looks like this is a hire in the realm of Dabo, Orgeron, etc. It'll be all about if he hires good coordinators, and actually understands that his strength is recrootin. Joe Judge was kind of in this mold, and honestly, so was King Jackie in a way.

I think Croom would have been much more successful had he taken this route.
My concern with Joe Judge, he hasn't recruited in many years. If he has aspirations to be a HC in college, I think he needs to get back in the college game. I'm not as much concerned about his failure with the giants, plenty of first time NFL coaches fail and eventually find success. Plus he took over a dumpster fire, had to deal with COIVD and the Giants are back to being a dumpster fire.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’m skeptical Mullen would be successful in today’s CFB. It’s changed a ton over the last several years. It’s more about recruiting, portal, and NIL which are not his strengths. Mullen was great at finding talent and being patient with development. Patience is not a word I’d use to describe what it takes to be successful in CFB today. It’s all about having a sense of urgency in recruiting.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My concern with Joe Judge, he hasn't recruited in many years. If he has aspirations to be a HC in college, I think he needs to get back in the college game. I'm not as much concerned about his failure with the giants, plenty of first time NFL coaches fail and eventually find success. Plus he took over a dumpster fire, had to deal with COIVD and the Giants are back to being a dumpster fire.
That's a concern, and I'm not stumping for him or anything. Just using him as a example. He'd definitely have to develop an actual plan for recrootin.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m skeptical Mullen would be successful in today’s CFB. It’s changed a ton over the last several years. It’s more about recruiting, portal, and NIL which are not his strengths. Mullen was great at finding talent and being patient with development. Patience is not a word I’d use to describe what it takes to be successful in CFB today. It’s all about having a sense of urgency in recruiting.
Agree. Mullen was a talent developer. Obviously he signed some four star studs (Cox and Simmons), but made his living developing 2/3 stars.

His model:

Find a raw 2 or 3 star with potential. Train him and and get him some experience the first year. Play him a lot his second year and continue to perfect his craft. His third year will be hopefully be huge and he'll get drafted after that.

Today, if that player shows promise in year two, he's off to the biggest NIL deal with his one free transfer. In big time CFB, you'd just be developing talent for the top 5-10 programs, you don't get that third year where a Preston Smith type balls out for State, cause they'd be at Bama or UGA.

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Today, if that player shows promise in year two, he's off to the biggest NIL deal with his one free transfer. In big time CFB, you'd just be developing talent for the top 5-10 programs, you don't get that third year where a Preston Smith type balls out for State, cause they'd be at Bama or UGA.
How many of those guys actually showed that kind of promise in Year 2? RaRa Thomas comes to mind, but not many of those 2/3 star guys end up being as good as he was in Year 2.

I'm not talking about the studs, obviously they get paid. And I'm not talking about 4th and 5th year guys who are at the end of their career and are having to make tough decisions (Dillon Johnson, Will Rogers types). I'm talking about 2 and 3 star nobodies who develop in their 2nd or 3rd year on campus.

I think there are fewer than you think, that actually want to transfer. I'd venture to say most breakout by end of Year 3, or Year 4. And if you've worked that hard and have a starting position, you likely aren't leaving and most of the time we can match that type of money needed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login