Umpire Brian Runge only gets one game.

shooter94

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
66
0
0
Yeah, he baited the manager into an argument

My theory - If you notice the umpire, that means he's done a crappy job.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
There are ALWAYS going to be borderline calls, and all it takes is a player to disagree- whether the player is right or wrong- to get the crowd to notice the umpire. That doesn't mean that the umpire did a bad job. It does mean that it's a tough job.

What I look for out of a home plate umpire is consistency on ball/strike calls. If the other teams pitcher is getting the corner, I expect my team to get the corner as well. If my team doesn't get it, I'm going to be upset.

I do agree that you shouldn't notice the other umpires in the field, though
 

shooter94

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
66
0
0
Good point - my issue is these guys who seem to look for trouble. They have an "attitude" if you know what I mean. One of them cost the braves a game against the Brewers about 3 weeks ago. It was a 1 - 0 game.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
Umpires that act like that should be fined. It undermines the game, and that's not the role of the umpire.

I've seen that happen from time to time, and when it happens, and it's obvious, I have to wonder if any disciplinary action is taken against the umpire.

They do go nuts sometimes- I was at a Cardinals game earlier this month and the umpire actually kicked a fan out of the game for giving him the finger. I've never seen that happen before, and I'm not going to defend the actions of the fan at all- in fact the fan should have been kicked out, but I thought that would be something that a MLB umpire would be better served to ignore. I need to also say that the incident happened after the umpire kicked a pitcher and two coaches out of the game, so it was kind of a heated moment. Despite that, I expect umpires to maintain composure no matter what happens.</p>
 

rebelrouseri

Redshirt
Jan 24, 2007
1,460
0
0
that was a strike, or was close enough to not argue about, started the whole thing. We don't know what he was saying to the ump. Lesson to umps, pull the trigger and kick them out before you lose your cool.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
rebelrouseri said:
that was a strike, or was close enough to not argue about, started the whole thing. We don't know what he was saying to the ump. Lesson to umps, pull the trigger and kick them out before you lose your cool.

like he should have. I'm sure umpires hear stuff from players every game, but no matter what he said, the umpire should never bait a player into getting ejected.</p>
 

kmullen

Redshirt
Mar 30, 2008
40
0
0
Batters do what beltran did every night and what he did did not appear to be ejection worthy at that time. He never even looked at the ump! The ump was clearly trying to get him off the field by cleaning the plate.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four